What is it about Herman Cain that's got GOP so gaga?

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 10:12 am
September 27, 2011
What is it about Herman Cain that's got GOP so gaga?
By Steven Thomma | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Long-shot Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain calls his surprise victory in a Florida straw poll over the weekend a victory of message over media, and he may well be right.

The Atlanta business executive and two-time campaign loser has long been overshadowed by news media attention to rivals such as Rick Perry and Mitt Romney. He doesn't have their campaign money. He doesn't have their resumes in politics — he lost the only two times he ran for office before. And he doesn't get asked many questions in media-sponsored debates.

But he appeals to many rank-and-file Republicans with a deep voice and direct message that's based on his record as a successful businessman, a can-do delivery that doesn't knock other Republicans and a proposal for a flat tax that touches deep in the Republican DNA of loathing for the Internal Revenue Service.

These assets helped him surge past his more prominent rivals in the Florida poll Saturday, winning 37 percent of the vote, more than Perry's 15 percent and Romney's 14 percent combined.

"People are listening to the message and not just, with all due respect, to the media," Cain said on NBC, finding himself suddenly in demand for TV appearances.

"You have to be an effective communicator," he added on CNN. "If I were not an effective communicator, that would be a big weakness, but you also have to have some substance. People are resonating with my ideas."

Cain, 65, a former executive who helped turn around a division of Burger King and the Godfather's Pizza chain, got his first taste of the political spotlight in 1994 when he stood up to challenge President Bill Clinton on his health care proposal during a town hall meeting in Omaha, Neb.

He ran briefly for the Republican presidential nomination in 2000, and tried for a Republican Senate nomination in Georgia in 2004, only to finish a distant second.

After a turn in radio and some time in the pulpit as a preacher, Cain is a polished speaker with a deep, resonant voice.

He is not, however, a polished politician.

He once lambasted Planned Parenthood, saying its founder originally wanted centers in black neighborhoods "so they could help kill black babies." Earlier this year, he said he wouldn't be comfortable appointing a Muslim to his Cabinet or the federal bench.

However impolitic he may be, it's his talk about running government like a business that strikes a chord, especially among conservatives tired of disappointments from professional politicians in both major parties.

"He is not a politician. He's a businessman with no-nonsense ideas," said Richard Webster, a teacher from Miami-Dade County, Fla. "People want to try something completely different."

Cain promises a Social Security rescue modeled after a largely privatized system in Chile. To cheers, he says he'd throw out the tax code and replace it with a 9-9-9 plan: a 9 percent flat income tax, a 9 percent national sales tax and a 9 percent corporate income tax. He offers no numbers on how much revenue his tax code would generate.

When he got to it in a speech to Florida conservatives Saturday, hundreds jumped in, chanting "9-9-9."

Cain also scores with his personal story, an up-by-the-bootstraps tale that culminates in his so-far successful fight against colon cancer.

"I've liked Herman Cain from the very beginning," said Pat Palaio, a caregiver from Perry, Fla., who attended the debate and straw poll in Florida. "But I don't think he can win. It's important to pick a candidate who can win."

While Cain is doing well onstage, he hasn't been doing as much on the ground to win in Iowa, the state that kicks off the nomination voting next winter.

"He has done a great job in the debates," said Craig Robinson, the editor of The Iowa Republican website and a former political director of the Iowa Republican Party.

Robinson said Cain was resonating with the simple and specific 9-9-9 plan, especially compared with Romney's 59-point economic plan and Perry's still-missing plan. He said Cain also did well by not attacking his Republican rivals, keeping his fire focused on President Barack Obama.

But if Cain wants to turn his moment of attention into a more durable campaign, Robinson said, he'll have to start drawing contrasts with other GOP candidates. And he'll have to start campaigning more in person.

"He hasn't been here since the (Iowa) straw poll six weeks ago," Robinson said. "I see a ton of potential in Herman Cain. But I don't see a willingness to do what it takes to win a state like Iowa."

Cain's 999 plan:
http://www.hermancain.com/999plan

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/09/27/125431/what-is-it-about-herman-cain-thats.html#ixzz1ZGRF7kJ7

Jaisee

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 10:45 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
His success and experience. Cain's common sense values and principles. He's honest and speaks his mind. He stands his ground regardless of the racist comments coming from the Progressive Liberal Left. Cain is what America needs.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:13 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Cain has none of the experience or knowledge required of a president. I would love to see him win the republican's candidate against President Obama. It would lead to an easy Obama presidential victory.

BBB
revelette

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:17 am
@Jaisee,
With all due respect, what racist comments from the progressive liberal left? Who said what and what is the source of the statements?

revelette

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:19 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
me too
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:53 am

I 'm not aware of much to recommend him.
I don't see him succeeding in the GOP.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 12:19 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

With all due respect, what racist comments from the progressive liberal left? Who said what and what is the source of the statements?

Blatant lies like this are taken at face value by too many people.
0 Replies

TheLeapist

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 03:15 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Being a good person is no where near enough to be the president of America. This man would be a disaster. Maybe in 13 years or so he can run.
revelette

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 07:49 am
@TheLeapist,
Well, he could be president, he is ahead of Romney in the republican polls.

NBC/WSJ poll: Cain now leads GOP pack

He does look a nice friendly old guy. We once elected a guy because he seemed like a guy we would like to hang out with at barbecues.

As for his 999 plan

Inside the Cain Tax Plan
0 Replies

Jaisee

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:23 am
@Jaisee,
LOL and what executive experience does HUSSEIN have? NONE! He has FAILED at every turn. If you THINK that HUSSEIN can win a DEBATE with Mr. Cain than you're delusional. Your comment is typical of the Progressive Liberal Saul Alinsky Types who attack a black man who is articulate, educated, successful, and far more intelligent than HUSSEIN could ever hope to be. Tell me*** What company or companies did HUSSEIN work for? Who has HUSSEIN ever EMPLOYED? Has the ANOINTED ONE ever signed a PAYCHECK? If you THINK that HUSSEIN has done good for America and her people than you've had you head up your *** for the past 3 years. Wake Up and stop being a PINHEAD!
revelette

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:29 am
@Jaisee,
Since HUSSEIN has never been president your entire rant complete with capital letter shouts speaks for itself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:45 am
Cain's 9-9-9 plan would effectively double taxes on the middle class and lower classes, while cutting them for the rich. That's why the GOP loves him... that, and some of them buy into his constant stream of bullshit assertions, and empty phrases that he uses to cover up his lack of knowledge on important issues.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:04 am
@revelette,
Forgot about Obama's middle name. Kind of embarrassing.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:48 am
@Jaisee,
Did you know that Cain's 999 plan would end federal social security and medicare? He would require each state to create their own social security and medicare coverage. You know the states have no money for such services. Cain says people could use their state, city, town, church and charity for help. It's in his descriptions of his 999 intents.

Cain is a fraud. He's pretending to be a republican presidential candidate. His real purpose is to become famous and to a make a lot of money by selling his book. Sarah Palen is doing the same thing.

BBB

0 Replies

Jaisee

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:39 pm
@revelette,
Don't like the truth? Hussein is the current p~Resident. It really is sad how uninformed you liberals are.

Barry Sorotoro is MMM MMM MMM Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

Looks like you owe me an apology or you can be a coward and deny the FACT that you're WRONG and i'm right yet I have never met a Liberal who was honest let alone responsible or accountable for his/her actions.

G'Day.
Jaisee

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:48 pm
@revelette,
Liberal Group Calls Black Businessman Herman Cain a Monkey.
Of course you'll most likely DENY these facts. But you can do your own homework.

AlterNet<<< is a liberal site:

In the immortal words of Megatron in Transformers: The Movie, Herman Cain’s speech at CPAC really is bad comedy. As you know, I find black garbage pail kids black conservatives fascinating not because of what they believe, but rather because of how they entertain and perform for their White Conservative masters.

That is a Racist Comment by Liberals.
Progressive website Alternet yesterday published a piece which called presidential contender Herman Cain a “black garbage pail kid,” “monkey,” and other slurs:
As you know, I find black garbage pail kids black conservatives fascinating not because of what they believe, but rather because of how they entertain and perform for their White Conservative masters.
[...]
We always need a monkey in the window, for he/she reminds us of our humanity while simultaneously reinforcing a sense of our own superiority. Sadly, there are always folks who are willing to play that role because it pays so well.
[...]
Herman Cain–an ironic name if ever, and one more suited to a tragic figure in a Harlem Renaissance era novella–is not “blackening twice” as some race minstrels chose to do.
[...]
Herman Cain’s shtick is a version of race minstrelsy where he performs “authentic negritude” as wish fulfillment for White Conservative fantasies.
Alternet describes its mission as such:
AlterNet’s aim is to inspire action and advocacy on the environment, human rights and civil liberties, social justice, media, health care issues, and more.
[...]
We emphasize workable solutions to persistent social problems.
Is the story excerpted below part of Alternet’s “human rights” advocacy? Racial slurs? Is this what passes as “original journalism” from the “award-winning” Alternet?
So because the author, who isn’t brave enough to drop the pseudonym, disagrees with Cain politically, that gives him the right to call Cain a “black garbage pail kid” and a “monkey?”
One of the most ironic graphs, considering the last sentence:
Let’s consider the routine. First, Cain enters the stage to Motown music. Then Cain feigns swimming after rolling up his sleeves to show them his black skin and how he is a hardworking negro (not like those other ones). Cain bellows in a preacher affected voice and channels the folksy negro down home accent of his late grandpappy. In the money shot, Cain gives the obligatory “black folks who are not Republicans are on the plantation” speech to the joyous applause of his White benefactors. And he doubles down by legitimating any opposition to President Barack Obama as virtuous and patriotic regardless of the bigoted well-springs from which it may flow.
The irony, of that last sentence. So let me get this right – when black Americans aren’t Democrats they’re taking part in a “minstrel show?” The author is “concerned” enough about black Americans to make a case against their conservatism but not so much to address them with any semblance of respect.
No, the author doesn’t at all take into consideration Cain’s individuality; in their sloppy logic they shows their cards: all black people must be Democrats thus, if Cain isn’t a Democrat, then he’s a captive conservative. The author insults Cain’s free will and shows once again exactly what progressives think of black Americans: pawns that must be told what to believe. Humans who lack the cognitive ability to make valid choices. Black Americans couldn’t – Cain couldn’t – possibly come to the realization of their conservatism alone! They must have been brainwashed! Because progressives don’t believe that black conservatives possess the ability to make such rational arguments, they, the progressives, must “save” them. And again, progressives insult black conservatives by insisting that they are victims of stupidity.
This is progressive compassion? The complete lack of regard for the beliefs and freedoms of black Americans? Alternet succeeded in showcasing a possible reason for Cain’s conservative beliefs with such an inane display of racist-fueled illogic. With such friends to black America as these, who needs enemies? Is this “New Tone?”
Niger Innis, the spokesman with the Congress of Racial Equality, took exception to the Alternet piece in a written statement:
February 14th, 2011
By, Niger Innis
National Spokesman
Congress of Racial Equality (CORE)
I had the distinct honor of introducing Herman Cain at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Friday, February 11, 2011. Following Mr. Cain’s speech, AlterNet, a self-described “progressive” Web site, published undoubtedly racist and inarguably offensive commentary dripping with incendiary name-calling and race-baiting of Herman Cain and black conservatives.
I call on AlterNet to immediately withdraw and issue a public condemnation of this vitriolic content appearing in their online publication. AlterNet’s mission statement boasts that it is a medium that transcends traditional journalism and is, instead, intended to “emphasize workable solutions to persistent social problems.” AlterNet also asserts that their content “underscores a commitment to fairness, equality and global stewardship,” and such virtues are in direct contradiction to the deplorable and irresponsible commentary they have allowed to be published.
It is particularly ironic after calls for civility in political discourse, by many in the media, that they would, through their inaction, encourage such socially reckless and racially insensitive material on a prominent leftwing publication.
At the heart of the fight for civil rights is the dignity of the rights of the individual. It is universally understood by all that to say “all blacks look alike” is racist. How sad it is that the mentality at AlterNet that led to this offensive commentary — “ALL BLACKS BETTER THINK ALIKE”– is not recognized to be as racist among Left-Wing racist cabals.
If AlterNet proclaims to champion civil rights, it will act immediately to rectify this situation and issue a public apology to those offended by their article.
best,
Niger Innis
National Spokesman
Congress of Racial Equality
Big Journalism joins Innis in demanding that Alternet condemn this piece and issue Herman Cain an apology.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:22 am
@Jaisee,
Actually I did admit that I forgot for a moment that President Obama middle name is Hussein. It is embarrassing.

Also, not everyone in a party is equal and I am hardly representative of the liberal party is like in terms of education or even making stupid mistakes like that one.

I agree that the author from alternet whoever he is, was engaging in racist comments and it is not right. However, I don't make the leap that on the whole, there is a sizable amount of people who are not supporters of Cain making those sorts of racist statements.

Most people disagree with his policies, most notably his ridiculous 999 tax plan of which the numbers don't even add up even if the plan did not the effect of cutting out SS by getting rid of payroll taxes and would force states to have a 9% sales tax. I also disagree with his statements on Muslims.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:56 am
Cain’s ‘Fiscal Hocus Pocus’ FactCheck
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 07:35 am

I predict that Cain will have little future in the GOP.
He 's like a flash in the pan.

David
0 Replies