totally blown away = gone wild with great joy?

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 08:39 am
Plus, or to my knowledge, any scientific gaming participants = or to my knowledge, has been solved by any scientific gaming participants?

Context:
But The Contender’s proposed protein structure was a winner. “When we took [their] model, it was a beautiful fit to the X-ray data so we knew [they] had solved it,” Baker said. “We were just totally blown away. This is the first time that a long-standing scientific problem has been solved by Foldit players, or to my knowledge, any scientific gaming participants.”

More:
http://the-scientist.com/2011/09/18/public-solves-protein-structure/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 363 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 09:02 am
@oristarA,
Not wild so much as caught by surprise, left speechless perhaps by the implications, amazed and excited beyond the capacity of words to communicate... Blown away has its drug inspiration, but that has the implication of people vaporized, or atomized in an explosion, never to be found again... You can blow people away with guns too, and their bodies are found, but their spirits are not... It is like death as a metaphore, when death is always approached by metaphores like passed away, or was put to death...

The later part is good as written, but could be re-arranged as you have done... They could have said and I think more correctly: by any scientific gaming participants..
oristarA

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 09:35 am
@Fido,
Excellent!
Thank you
0 Replies