Is anyone else encrypting thier hard drives?

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:11 am
@parados,
My sandbox is one program my process guarding program is another program that is protecting my whole system in and out of the sandbox.

Now writing to memory is fine by way of the normal OS services calls but directly addressing the memory as google earth like to do {along with such things as buffer overflow maleware attacks } with the video card memory is not fine unless I approved google earth doing so.

This is a one time need and unless I change my mind google earth can keep doing so once I had ok it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:13 am
@parados,
Quote:
I don't think you understand how a sand box works Bill

I think for a linux users you seem not to have that high of an understanding of the working of your computer.
parados

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:54 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I don't think you understand how a sand box works Bill

I think for a linux users you seem not to have that high of an understanding of the working of your computer.

That made me chuckle Billl.
You claim you have to approve ALL writes to memory. I point out that even a sand boxed program MUST write to memory. You claim I don't know much about how computers work.
BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:59 am
@parados,
I am just shaking my head at how weak you understand of modern OS seem or that you seems not to understand how the OS will assign and protect memories spaces that programs and processes can have access to depending on their priority and classification.

That the OS will oversee the read and write to memory locations and in the case of video memory it is normally address by programs using OS service calls not directly.

I any case you do not seems to know that your own OS Linux protected it kernel memory from being access or change by a user process for example?

With similar behavior is build into all versions of windows from XP forward.

That malware often try to get around such limitation and it is a constant battle between malware and systems protection both build in and add on protection.

Here is a starting point for you to be able to understand your own OS better.

http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/faculty/jiang/pubs/ACSAC10.pdf

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 11:43 am
@parados,
Oh I do indeed need to approve any program to be able to bypass the OS service calls to address the video card memory space directly such as google earth desire to do.

GE complained that I was not allowing it to do so and how must slower it will be due to not being able to write directly to the video card memory space.

That does apply for giving a one time permission not every time but every time another program try to write to video memory for the first time I am face with allowing it or not allowing it to do so.

I do not see how the concept can be so hard for you to understand
parados

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 09:10 pm
@BillRM,
It isn't that hard to understand but that isn't what you said the first time.

Every modern system, even Linux, has security issues. If nothing could bypass system calls then there would not be security issues.
http://secunia.com/advisories/34084
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5676502/c-system-call-security-issue

A security hole when breached bypasses requirements for granting access. If it didn't bypass it, then it wouldn't be much a security risk.
BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:35 am
@parados,
Amazing as that what I been saying for posts after posts and you would need to look hard indeed find a way to misunderstand me!!!!!!!

Yes indeed no security is one hundred percents however by laying one defend after another the odds that anyone is going to break your security is near zero.

That also is what I been saying over and over and over so if you misunderstood those statements once more you are looking for a way to do so.
BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:39 am
Going back to the tropic of this thread it look like no one other then myself is running strong encryption on their home computers and laptops.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 06:54 am
@BillRM,
When a program you have authorized to make system calls makes a system call, that program is allowed to do so. If the system call from the program you authorized exploits a security hole it STILL makes the call. You are not given the opportunity to deny it unless you are asked to authorize ALL calls from that program. That's why it's an exploit. You aren't magically asked to authorize exploits which is what I had issues with in your statement.
0 Replies