Is anyone else encrypting thier hard drives?

BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 10:24 am
@parados,
Give me your isp address and we will put it to the test how close a non-expert can come to your location in the real universe.

I love also to play with the trace route command and without doing the research "yet" I had the feeling that you could narrow any isp location down far nearer then just a large city.

Using different routing times and the known physical locations of routers on the paths.

Of course home users might be in stealth mode and that would end that but you can not have a VPN server in stealth mode.

the internet is wonderful and you should not be so fast to claim as a non-expert what can and can not be done.
BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 11:06 am
@parados,
Parados I just found that there are ways to tie trace route into google earth of all things.

I am waiting for your isp address to see how right or wrong you happen to be on such information being worthless.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:58 am
@BillRM,
Here you go Bill

Good luck..

By the way..
It resolves the same as

I'll bet you can't find my city on the first guess.

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 09:50 am
@parados,
Thank as I will enjoy learning more about the internet protocols looking at this challenge.

Quote:
By the way..
It resolves the same as

Oh I find it somewhat strange that your IP address that is assign by your ISP is changing so often. The IP lease time should not be that short.

Let see a few questions are you using a home router or directly tied you computer into the modem?

Hell are you using a dial up connection of all things as that would yield a new IP address every time you log onto the net?
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:39 am
@BillRM,
I never said my IP address was changing that often. I merely stated that it resolves the same as similar ones assigned to the same ISP provider. By the way, my ISP blocks pings to any of it's assigned addresses so you won't be able to do a simple ping.

I am using a home router and only forward limited ports to my Linux box.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:55 am
@parados,
I already found out about the ping being block/filter however there are ways to do pings using other packets types that are not normally filter.

Love the internet and the way it allow work arounds.

Thank for this problem because I am learning a lot that I did not know before thank to it.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:05 am
@BillRM,
One thing you might not have learned is that I can log any contact with my router.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:20 am
@parados,
So?.................

And this would do you a lot of good if you was running it as a VPN server when you was away from home in what manner?

Oh no IP address I used can be trace back to me either..............so log away.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:26 am
@BillRM,
Logging has nothing to do with running the server. It has to do with logging contacts with that running server. Something any security conscious person should do.

Quote:
Oh no IP address I used can be trace back to me either..............so log away.
Yet more evidence that your claim about tracing an IP address to a home address was complete bluster.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:32 am
@parados,
Quote:
Yet more evidence that your claim about tracing an IP address to a home address was complete bluster

OH????????

You by your very words are not using my methods of decoupling the location of my computer from the IP end point.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:38 am
@BillRM,
I'm still waiting for you to tell us which city I live in Bill.

It's been hours. How long does it take to do a simple routing trace or to reverse lookup an IP address?
Questioner

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:39 am
@parados,
Flagging this, because I'm curious to see if he can find it.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:42 am
@BillRM,
Wow.... you are using an anonymizer. Rolling Eyes

Any script kiddie can do that. Drunk
Questioner

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:45 am
@parados,
Careful, he'll start pasting links for you to click on and see his results. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 01:31 pm
@Questioner,
It been hours/ Damn that I need to take my car in for service and have others things to do.

Beside I have a fair understanding of the concepts but I do not have a lot of the software tools installed and am doing the research and installing software as I go along.

I never claimed that I had all the tools set to go all I stated was it should be doable and I am enjoying myself in the attempt.

I will tell you that if I can end up doing so then it should be a piece of cake for an expert.

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 01:33 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Wow.... you are using an anonymizer.

Any script kiddie can do that.

I never said that and I do not think I care to go into details about that aspect of my security
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 05:28 pm
@BillRM,
Actually, you did say that.

If the IP address you are using to connect with is not the same IP address that remains in the packet when it gets to the final destination then you are using an anonymizer.

Like I said, any script kiddie can do that. Most hacking tools come with an anonymizer to help out the kiddies or they wouldn't realize they are asking to get caught.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 05:34 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I will tell you that if I can end up doing so then it should be a piece of cake for an expert.

You might want to read this FROM the experts.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation-accuracy
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:09 pm
@parados,
Quote:
If the IP address you are using to connect with is not the same IP address that remains in the packet when it gets to the final destination then you are using an anonymizer.

Sorry I am not using an anonymizer to keep from being located in the real world by means of assign IP addresses.

I do from time to time used the tor network but that however is mainly to give me protection at public hot spots every now and then or give me a US address when I am out of the country to keep me from being block from some US websites or to give me a GB address so I can download otherwise US blocked BBS shows.

Still you can not tied me to the IP physical location contain in the packets.

One of the most wonderful things about the internet is that there is always more then one solution to any problem and just because you are only seeing one solution, in this case anonymizer, does not mean that more then one solution does not exist!!!!!

Strange that you are of the opinion that you know all there is to know about the net when as a non-expert myself I had not been impressed with your level of knowledge.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:18 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Sorry I am not using an anonymizer to keep from being located in the real world by means of assign IP addresses.

Then the packets you send will include your IP address. If they don't then you are using something to strip them out. You can't do both at the same time.

Either the packet contains your IP address as the source address or it contains another address. If it contains another address then it is using a system that I would classify as an anonymizer since it attempts to hide the real sender.