Is anyone else encrypting thier hard drives?

BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:25 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Then the packets you send will include your IP address. If they don't then you are using something to strip them out. You can't do both at the same time.

Lord you are not looking at the goal and the problem correctly the goal is to keep from anyone being able to use the ip addresses to track you to your front door and beyond spelling the solution out for you I do not know what more help I can give you.
parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:36 pm
@BillRM,
I'm still waiting for you to even find out which city I'm in.

I'm not concerned with you showing up at my front door because you don't have access to my ISP's log files.

But back to what I was talking about. IP packets have a protocol that is followed. The normal protocol includes the IP address of the sender of the packet. If the REAL IP address of the sender is not in the packet then that person is using an anonymizer of some sort.

You claim your packets don't include your REAL IP address. You also claim you are not using any kind of anonymizer to remove your REAL IP address. Those are mutually exclusive. You can't include your REAL IP address at the same time you do not include it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:15 pm
@parados,
Quote:
You claim your packets don't include your REAL IP address. You

No where did I state that the packets did or did not have my "REAL IP Address" I stated that no IP address can be connected to me or my location in the real world and that is not one and the same thing at all.
BillRM

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:22 pm
@parados,
My my you are in a hurry and here I was at the dealership from 2 pm until 7 pm yesterday and on the way home the damn check engine light came back on and now I need to run the damn thing back this Sat. morning.

A sixty miles round trip and there is a few others things that need to be done in the real universe and my real life.

Sorry I am not dropping everything in my life that need to be taken care of to prove a point to you.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:42 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
I'm still waiting for you to even find out which city I'm in.
me too, I just checked my IP and it says Puyallup. I don't live there and never have.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:41 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

No where did I state that the packets did or did not have my "REAL IP Address" I stated that no IP address can be connected to me or my location in the real world and that is not one and the same thing at all.

ROFLMAO..
Oh.. OK. you have a magic connection to the internet.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 08:47 am
@parados,
Quote:
Oh.. OK. you have a magic connection to the internet.

Yes, in that my connection to the first router/network can not be track without men on the ground in the area with special equipments and court orders to anyone will not yield anymore then a tracert command.

I had now done everything but draw you a large diagram................

Oh at the moment I am once more at the dealership with 30 cars ahead of me and thinking I should had taken the power supply out of the car for my netbook as my wait is likely to be more then the plus 2 hours remaining on it battery.

parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 10:45 am
@BillRM,
Oh, that's your logic..

It can't but it can. Rolling Eyes

I never said it would be easy, but there is a rather large difference between unlikely and impossible.

Your statement seems to imply that you are stealing a wifi connection from someone else. But that doesn't protect you entirely.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/07/hacking-neighbor-from-hell/
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:12 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Your statement seems to imply that you are stealing a wifi connection from someone else. But that doesn't protect you entirely.

Sorry but there are legal ways to access the internet in a manner that your gateway does no know anything about you but a changeable mac address.
parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:32 pm
@BillRM,
Sure.. it's YOUR gateway.
You own it and manage it and pay for it but your service provider doesn't know anything about you.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 01:14 pm
@parados,
Damn website I posted a long reply about the means of legally accessing the internet by way of a network gateway where you real life ID and location have great protection and it got cut down to one sentence.

Not hundred percents protection but very costly in terms of both time and resources to penetrate.

No stealing needed but of course stealing such access is possible also.

One way or another we all are going to need to set up means of doing so if and when government mandated databases of everyone browsing history going back years and we care at all about our privacy.

If such databases exists they are not only going to be open to government agents at whim and most likely without need for warrants and court oversight as in cell phones tracking but to anyone filing any kind of a civil action to hackers and ISP employees selling the information on the black market.
parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
@BillRM,
My ISP provider is a network gateway. It just doesn't act as a proxy server to hide my address. My ISP provider requires a warrant before revealing the name associated with my IP address at a given time.

If I understand you correctly, you are using a proxy server as a gateway and an anomizer.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 04:54 pm
@parados,
Warrants are not needed any civil judge subpoena will do nicely unless your ISP is a rare type indeed willing to challenge such a subpoena on your behalf or at least give you enough of a head up to enable you to hire a lawyer to challenge such an order in court yourself.

No criminal matter needed and no real proof of a civil wrong/tort just someone with the funds to pay a lawyer.

Footnote when the RIAA was issuing subpoenas right and left to universities a few universities made it known that they would fight such subpoenas and strangely the RIAA did not have any such issue to the students of those universities.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 04:58 pm
@parados,
Oh I would not be too shock if there are not some PIs with access to those records by way of your IP employees looking to earn a few dollars on the side.
parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:13 pm
@BillRM,
Sure, that's possible. But it still doesn't mean someone is going to be able to sniff my IP address and then quickly break into my house when I am still on the road.

In fact, I urge them to try it. The dogs might be missing red meat with me not there.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 07:01 pm
@parados,
Oh we back to that subject?

Ok today and yesterday had been a wash due to needing to sit in a car dealership for now two days in a row and also getting the kind of tools needed to work under windows is a pain.

For one example a means of issuing UDP pings under windows had not yet been found by me. Nmap had problems in that regards.

All in all the concepts seems more then doable it just that I do not have the expertise or the correct OS at the moment to achieve it in a rapid manner.

The project however is interesting and seem more then worth pursuing.
parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 07:42 pm
@BillRM,
You can't recreate your post about network gateways and how it prevents your IP from being sent while sending your IP?
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 07:46 pm
@parados,
So are you in Minnesota or is your computer there?
parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 07:53 pm
@trying2learn,
I'm not hiding.
I have posted about being in Mn and the metro area I live in.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 09:19 pm
@parados,
The windows tracert command stop reporting at a town name New Hope, MI.

Your isp address is of course listed as belonging to Minneapolis, MI area.

Now if I could just launch a udp ping/port scan.