my grading = the standard by which I give my students A,B,C... ?

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:04 am
Plus, In the accounts = ?

Context:

that not all the students had a good grounding in economics, I tried hard to make the material clear and the principles understandable. Agency and Partnership, by contrast, seemed straightforward enough. I was afraid the students would get bored and also miss the importance and occasional difficulty of determining the exact nature of the relationships between parties in a common enterprise, so I tried to think of interesting and illuminating examples to keep the classroom discussion going. For example, the Watergate hearings and the White House response to the ongoing revelations had raised a lot of questions about the perpetrators of the break-in. Were they agents of the President, and if not, for whom and on whose authority were they acting? In all the classes I taught, I tried to get a lot of students involved in the discussions and to make myself easily available to them in my office and around the law school.I enjoyed writing exams, which I hoped would be interesting, challenging, and fair. In the accounts Ive read of my teaching years, my grading has been questioned, with the implication that I was too easy, either because I was too soft or too eager not to offend potential supporters when I ran for office. At Yale, the only grades were Honors, Pass, or Fail. It was usually pretty hard to get Honors and virtually impossible to fail. At many other law schools, especially those where the admissions standards were more lax, the grading tended to be tougher,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 420 • Replies: 2
No top replies

firefly

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:29 am
@oristarA,
"In the accounts"--refers to past reports, or evaluations, of the writer's performance as a teacher.

You are correct--"my grading" would refer to the standard used to determine a letter grade (like A, B, C...) or, specifically in the case of this writer, the standards used to determine grades of Honors, Pass, or Fail.
oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:51 pm
@firefly,
Thank you.
0 Replies