in these conditions =? go to the community = ?

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 01:03 am
Failed to understand the meaning of the "conditions" and "the community".

Context:

Ereditato says that he welcomes scepticism from outsiders, but adds that the researchers have been unable to find any other explanation for their remarkable result. "Whenever you are in these conditions, then you have to go to the community," he says.

More:

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110922/full/news.2011.554.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 477 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 01:14 am
@oristarA,
I understand Ereditato as adopting a paradigmatic position (Thomas Kuhn "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions) in which the "scientific community" is the final arbiter (not lay speculators) of whether an anomalous result can be encompassed in the existing paradigm, or whether it is sufficiently problematic to shift the paradigm. This situation of tension =these conditions.
oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 01:43 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I understand Ereditato as adopting a paradigmatic position (Thomas Kuhn "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions) in which the "scientific community" is the final arbiter (not lay speculators) of whether an anomalous result can be encompassed in the existing paradigm, or whether it is sufficiently problematic to shift the paradigm. This situation of tension =these conditions.

Cool. Thanks.

But I did not get the meaning " paradigmatic position " well.
fresco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 02:04 am
@oristarA,
Okay. Without getting you to read Kuhn I will summarize his position that what we call "science" is not some "body of knowledge" independent of its users. "Science" is "what scientists do" - it is the complex web of communicative interaction which defines "valid scientific work" from period to period. Any period of relative stability in this evolving definition process can be called "a paradigm" and involves agreement about "standard models".At this time, one of the foundation axioms of "the relativity model" is being questioned.Thus the current paradigmatic position may be untenable.
oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:48 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Okay. Without getting you to read Kuhn I will summarize his position that what we call "science" is not some "body of knowledge" independent of its users. "Science" is "what scientists do" - it is the complex web of communicative interaction which defines "valid scientific work" from period to period. Any period of relative stability in this evolving definition process can be called "a paradigm" and involves agreement about "standard models".At this time, one of the foundation axioms of "the relativity model" is being questioned.Thus the current paradigmatic position may be untenable.

Excellent!

And I also checked out wiki about Thomas Kuhn. Cool stuff!
0 Replies