Dispatches From the Long-Term Contract Front

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:52 am
@jespah,
I get my tea sticks at one of the Canadian companies in the TJMaxx group. I think they're available through Amazon. Tetleys liquid iced tea pouch/sticks are pretty good. Very not sweet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:14 am
@jespah,
All the best
jespah

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:50 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks!

The black suit probably won't be worn much, but they'll be taking my ID photo on Tuesday (I think). It's mainly biz cas - Baseball Fan was not wearing a tie or a jacket when he interviewed me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:23 am
@jespah,
Buisness casual is the way to go unless your office contains 300 lb women who consider Daisey Dukes appropriate garb or fat hairy men who are partial to Journey tank tops.

It would be great if you never had to learn Baseball Fan's real name, but probably no such chance. Unless his name is something like Fandango you'll run into a problem when you address or call to him in the office.

Of the 8 places we've lived in over 39 years there was only one where we knew the actual names of our neighbors. They were and will always be known as "The Rotundos," "The Indians," "Punch & Judy," "Grey Lady and Artie" (both sweet little ladies in their 80's), "The Lizard Clan," and more.
jespah

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, I know Baseball Fan's real name (he's gonna be my boss); I give names to people in these Dispatches topics in order to protect the ... innocent (?). So far he seems rather nice (and eager to get me in for work) and I know we will be talking Red Sox by the end of Day #2 or so.

A few Dispatches topics ago (last time I worked at this company, actually), I had a boss I called O'Blivious and a coworker I referred to as I Need A Stamp.
jespah

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 04:22 am
@jespah,
It was a whirlwind. The process of onboarding at this company is always this way. Funny thing, I have the same company ID I used to have (apparently you get them for life).

At 8:30 AM (so I left at 7), I had to go to an office (where I worked in '08) to meet with the guy from the in-house temping agency; I am working with them this time around. I signed something and walked back to my new office building (where I am now working, where I worked in '00 but not '01 and where RP worked, from '95 to '00, actually). This is a 30 minute walk each way and I am carrying a lotta stuff for the first day (shoes, etc.).

I get my ID photo taken and I get fingerprinted again (this is a FINRA requirement - they run the NASDAQ. Even though I will never, ever trade a security, this is still a requirement). Also, the fingerprints dude told me that my prints are getting lighter (they can compare 'em to '08). This is due to excessive keyboarding. If I use the computer enough times, I suppose I could get away with the perfect crime (although I would probably have double carpal tunnel syndrome by then).

Oh and he tells me my ID badge is held up for some security reason or another and I still need to use the temp badge. Come back after lunch.

Baseball Fan is downstairs (he had seen me) and collects me and takes me upstairs. Handshakes all around, the usual, etc., I am there 5 minutes and he brings me into a meeting about deleting old data and putting in new data. Um, okay. There isn't even a computer on my desk yet, but what the hell. We emerge from the meeting and the guy is installing the computer. But I can't log in (remember that ID issue? Yeah). The computer guy then gets another guy to set up my phone. This is not with my name on voice mail; it's just so it works at all.

I then watch Baseball Fan do what is going to be my job for the next hour or two. Then I proceed to go through 2 boxes left there by my predecessor. I do find some personal stuff of his and set it aside, but I also find about forty plastic forks and at least 60 pens. About a third of the pens work. The forks are discarded. I keep the guy's stapler.

Still can't get into the computer. Baseball Fan, me and coworker all go to lunch and sit outside. Beautiful day, breeze coming off the Charles.

Back in. Still can't get into computer. More job shadowing. Hear Baseball Fan on the phone, comforting his wife (who I learn is 5 months pregnant with twins) as she's had car trouble, forgot her wallet, is a little scared (less than a mile from their home which is quite a ways away) and has to pee. He is seriously considering dropping everything and driving up there (a good hour each way). Coworker and I convince him that the dealership will give his wife a ride home.

More job shadowing. More calling to try to get the computer set up.

I finally get my badge. I can get into the building!

But I don't have access to our floor.

Then I get access!

And I still can't get into my own computer. And I still don't have email set up (a related issue).

Baseball Fan finally gives me his login before we finish for the day. I kid him that I'll send his wife email (because I can get into his email) photoshopped pictures of him and Snooki. The guy finds it funny (he is a very nice man). We also talk Red Sox as he introduces me to everyone and his brother, including the evil Yankee fan who sits in our row.

I leave. It is 6 PM.

And this is why there is free coffee there. Hopefully, I can get into my computer today.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 07:25 am
@jespah,
Don't count on getting access to your computer - it takes forever.....
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 07:29 am
@Linkat,

she got her e-mail working, so i think that means She's In...
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 07:31 am
@Region Philbis,
When did that happen? The post above says..."And I still can't get into my own computer. And I still don't have email set up (a related issue)."

But she has access to Red Sox guys email - hey you are not supposed to do that - who is red sox guy, I'm gonna report him.

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 07:35 am
@Linkat,

i'm Red Sox Guy.
her boss is Baseball Fan -- by all means, report him...
jespah

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 04:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
I am in.

Oh, and the coworker - hair down past the waist - is Rapunzel.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 05:53 pm
@jespah,
You'll need these message pads for your new job:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/311094_160764510679154_160411127381159_326018_1101352684_n.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 03:52 am
Awesome!

So, yesterday I get myself a lot closer to the schedule that I like as I get up on time, get in when I want to, etc. Yay. And I suddenly had access, so that rocked. I began to read a buncha literature as Baseball Fan was in Northern Office and Rapunzel was busy with reports as she was to be away for the remainder of the week in Southern Clime (AKA where a chunk of jobs are going).

One thing I notice is that the break room contains not only a coffee maker (inexplicably, it's one of those old-fashioned pot types versus K-cup. It's about the only thing in there that's not cutting edge) and help yourself sodas (they are free; I checked), but also a big, honking automatic cappuccino machine. This keeps us all from going to evil Starbucks.

Anyway, I leave when I want to (score!) and, on the way to the bus, end up having to walk around a walking picket line of people with signs who are protesting, er, something. There's a guy with a bullhorn, yelling. And this is amusing because he not only has a rather thick Mexican (I think) accent, he also has a lisp. And so he yells,

"No Yustith, no peath!"

*No justice, no peace!
Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 10:54 am
@jespah,
Oh my - is it all unkempt and fizzy like often in a pony tail? He is a bit odd and carries a man bag?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 10:56 am
@jespah,
OK Rapunzel is a girl - do you mind it if I use it for this man as well...
jespah

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 04:49 am
@Linkat,
Go fer it.

So, there's a cappuccino machine. It sounds like an aircraft carrier. Fortunately, no one sits that close to it.

Things are getting easier as the concept of go to bed early so you can get up early is, again, ingrained in mah brain. Plus I have recalled the power of the snacks. I have all sorts of things to look forward to (er, an apple, a fiber bar, some nuts. I'm still dieting).

Sorry, can't run a query, I have to eat an almond.
jespah

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:49 pm
@jespah,
Things are settling in but I now have a monster cold. This means I get to sneeze during meetings. Fortunately, most meetings are phone-based so I mute before sneezage.

Went to a baby shower today for a woman I have never seen before. She seemed nice. I did not shake her hand so as to hopefully not give her this cold. In another life (read: before the perpetual diet began), I would have been all over the cake. It did look good. I admired it from afar and then discussed baseball with a coworker who I know is a Yankee fan. Since neither of us have a dog in the hunt anymore, we talked about who we now favor. We both went with Milwaukee.

I am actually doing work, beginning to crank out reports. So far, I have not made anything new, just done the work that others were doing. I send out daily and weekly stuff and will graduate to monthly stuff (at my first Data Analysis gig over 10 years ago, we used to refer to those as the Menstrual Reports) soon enough. I still do not have access to some things, and I am nearly done with week #3. And so it goes.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:51 pm
@jespah,
gargamel will be pleased to have you in the rooting section.

bring a towel, he tends to get real emotional when they flop...
jespah

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:54 pm
@Rockhead,
Kool-aid everywhere, eh?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:55 pm
@jespah,
it's just not a pretty sight.

oh well, you've been warned...