I'm going to the Iowa Caucuses and you're not.

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:15 pm
nimh wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
Yea, it went way faster than I expected. People got in there groups right away and the first count was done before 7:30. The non-viables and the undecideds were given 30 minutes to either get with another group or go home. It didn't take long. Obama picked up a Kucinich and several Bidens and Richardsons. Apparently the candidates had givine the directive to their caususers to move to Obama if they were not viable.

Very cool to hear a first-hand account!

Anastasia is clearing up (visitor tomorrow) and playing Popit - she's none too interested in the elections this time - but she liked hearing about your experiences. (And says hi in case you remember her).

<waves to Anastasia> of course I remember you and I am thrilled to see you two together again.

OK folks back to your regular programing.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:18 pm
Huckabees the one I worry about because he is a genuine nice guy. He is appealing to a lot of people.

John Edwards is on TV now sounding like he is declaring victory.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:19 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Huckabees the one I worry about because he is a genuine nice guy. He is appealing to a lot of people.

Oh, nah. Don't worry about that too much.

See, the fiscal Republicans don't like Huck. At all. It will cause problems for him down the line.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Swimpy wrote:

See, the fiscal Republicans don't like Huck. At all. It will cause problems for him down the line.

Cycloptichorn

Remember, that was W's appeal. He was the guy voted the one you'd most want to have a beer with.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:24 pm
JPB wrote:
There's a big Romney question mark on his Mormonism. How much does it hurt him? It seems that those who would vote along religious lines went with Huckabee.

I think in the general there's a bigger disparity between the fundy's and the rest of us vs the Mormon's and the rest of us. In that regard, it does matter.

This nation would go nuts over having to choose between Romney, the white mormon, and Obama, the black christian who went to school in a muslim country. It will be a very interesting exercise for our society if it holds true.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:24 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Swimpy wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Remember, that was W's appeal. He was the guy voted the one you'd most want to have a beer with.

Well, Huck don't drink beer.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:26 pm
snood wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Swimpy wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Well, Huck don't drink beer.

You get the idea, snood. He's likable in the way that W was likable. What he has going for him as well is that he's not an idiot.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:31 pm
Swimpy wrote:
He's likable in the way that W was likable.

Yeah, that's my concern-- those people that voted based on who they'd like to have a beer with before are still at large... We've gotta figure out how to disenfranchise those guys! (only sort of joking)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:37 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
He's likable in the way that W was likable.

Yeah, that's my concern-- those people that voted based on who they'd like to have a beer with before are still at large... We've gotta figure out how to disenfranchise those guys! (only sort of joking)

As for Bush, you gotta realize that the money guys lined right up behind him. Hell, they recruited him for the job. That isn't Huckabee, by a long shot.

Read about him at The Corner, or over on Redstate. Many Republicans do not like him, because of his fiscal policies.

Just saw - Chris Dodd dropping out.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:40 pm
JPB wrote:
I think in the general there's a bigger disparity between the fundy's and the rest of us vs the Mormon's and the rest of us. In that regard, it does matter.

You'd hope so, in a way, eh? But it's amazing, if you look at the number of people who say they'd never vote for a Mormon - it's far higher than the number who say they'd never vote for a woman, or for someone who's 70 years old, or for a black person, etc.

But it's not because he's Mormon that I think Romney is the easiest Republican frontrunner to beat in the general elections... it's because he is a soulless, unprincipled, flip-flopping Powerpoint candidate who's thoroughly failed to gain any kind of cross-over appeal over almost a year of campaigning.

In comparison, Huckabee at least is likable, has charisma, and has shown the ability to quickly move up in the polls among independent voters too as soon as he got more media attention. But Huckabee should nevertheless be beatable as well because he commits gaffe after gaffe and like you say, because he's just too much a religious fundy.

The Reps should go with McCain if they want more of a chance...

Well all that's my two cents of the day, anyway :wink:
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:46 pm
Oh I fully realize that. I still worry. I remember how Reagan won people over with the same "Aw shucks" approach. Huckabee should not be overlooked.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:48 pm
Good night, folks. It was fun. I hope I can get to sleep now!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:15 pm
Good Luck!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:52 pm
You done good, Swimpy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:04 am
nimh wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
Yea, it went way faster than I expected. People got in there groups right away and the first count was done before 7:30. The non-viables and the undecideds were given 30 minutes to either get with another group or go home. It didn't take long. Obama picked up a Kucinich and several Bidens and Richardsons. Apparently the candidates had givine the directive to their caususers to move to Obama if they were not viable.

Very cool to hear a first-hand account!

Anastasia is clearing up (visitor tomorrow) and playing Popit - she's none too interested in the elections this time - but she liked hearing about your experiences. (And says hi in case you remember her).

Pass on a hello, please nimh.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:25 am
nimh wrote:
JPB wrote:
littlek wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:

I can't believe that Huckabee made it for the Republicans. Oh my!

This can only be a good thing for democrats - yes?

yes

Oh, Huckabee or Romney, either of them would be good news for the Dems if they win the primaries I think! So which of the two of 'em won is perhaps a neutral thing for the Dems...

I think Huckabee is and would be far better news for dems because that will more abruptly and clearly work towards disconnecting the religious right from the republican coalition. David Brooks speaks to this in today's column... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/opinion/04brooks.html?hp
Quote:
Huckabee won because he tapped into realities that other Republicans have been slow to recognize. First, evangelicals have changed. Huckabee is the first ironic evangelical on the national stage. He's funny, campy (see his Chuck Norris fixation) and he's not at war with modern culture.

Second, Huckabee understands much better than Mitt Romney that we have a crisis of authority in this country. People have lost faith in their leaders' ability to respond to problems. While Romney embodies the leadership class, Huckabee went after it. He criticized Wall Street and K Street. Most importantly, he sensed that conservatives do not believe their own movement is well led. He took on Rush Limbaugh, the Club for Growth and even President Bush. The old guard threw everything they had at him, and their diminished power is now exposed...

So the race will move on to New Hampshire. Mitt Romney is now grievously wounded. Romney represents what's left of Republicanism 1.0. Huckabee and McCain represent half-formed iterations of Republicanism 2.0. My guess is Republicans will now swing behind McCain in order to stop Mike.

He says also...
Quote:
In that sense, Huckabee's victory is not a step into the past. It opens up the way for a new coalition.

We'll have to wait and see how this turns out. The rightwing corporate/washington power structure will REALLY be out to savage him now and the consequences of that will be a matter of unknown magnitude. But the old coalition is kaput now and even the boys at National Review have understood this for a few months (see here )

and...
Quote:
Huckabee probably won't be the nominee, but starting last night in Iowa, an evangelical began the Republican Reformation.

As I think you've implied above, nimh, and as Brooks suggests, it looks now like McCain might manage to slip in. He poses some danger to a dem win but I really doubt it will be nearly enough to stop what increasingly looks like a serious and broad readjustment in the mood of the american electorate.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:12 pm
Thanks, K. I finally got to sleep, but it was not easy!

Thanks, Joe.

blatham, I will never count out the Republicans. If Huckabee gets traction, I would expect the rest of the party leaders to hold their noses and support him. They want a winner.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:21 pm
correction... in my post above, I linked to a NYRB article by tomasky which I hadn't fully read when I linked it. He goes on to argue, rather persuasively, that my rah rah for the decline of coalition strength in movement conservativism may be premature.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:05 pm
blatham wrote:

She says hello back! Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:08 pm
nimh wrote:
blatham wrote: