I'm going to the Iowa Caucuses and you're not.

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 02:23 pm
I haven't counted the calls, but they are coming fast and furious. Last night I got a call from Newt Gingrich! I hung up on him. (It as just a recorded message, dammit!) Trouble is, even though I have caller ID, they sometimes block their info. Sometimes I just answer for the heck of it.

I answered one night and the person asked if I wished to participate in a poll. I played a long until I realized it was a push poll asking my opinion on all manner of nasty news reports about Barack Obama. At that point, I expressed my wish to no participate any further.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:05 pm
There really ought to be pull polls. It seems only fair.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:08 pm
Heh!

"What do you like best about Obama?

1.) His appeal to Independents and Republicans
2.) His really fabulous Energy proposal
3.) His new brand of politics
4.) His prodigious oratorical skills?"
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:34 pm
Quote:
"What do you like best about Obama?

1.) His appeal to Independents and Republicans (maybe)
2.) His really fabulous Energy proposal (sort of)
3.) His new brand of politics ding ding ding!
4.) His prodigious oratorical skills? (that, too)"

It's sort of intangible. I get the sense from listening to him speak that he is a reasonable man with the desire to bring people from both camps together. I'm tired of fractured politics. Whether he has the ability to do it remains to be seen, but I'm willing to give him a chance to try.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
Oh, thanks for answering the pull poll! :-)

Your take and mine are very similar btw.

When do you start caucusing?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:21 pm
They want everyone to be at their precinct sites by 6:30. No one gets in after 7. (They say that, but they will still let people in a few minutes late.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
Thanks.

Have a great time, and I look forward to your account.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:54 pm
Swimpy wrote:
I haven't counted the calls, but they are coming fast and furious. Last night I got a call from Newt Gingrich! I hung up on him. (It as just a recorded message, dammit!) Trouble is, even though I have caller ID, they sometimes block their info. Sometimes I just answer for the heck of it.

I answered one night and the person asked if I wished to participate in a poll. I played a long until I realized it was a push poll asking my opinion on all manner of nasty news reports about Barack Obama. At that point, I expressed my wish to no participate any further.

Dude. Crazy.

On the one hand I'd love to be in Iowa in this time - you sure got the most exciting part of the elections! Plus, you got to actually exert influence - all the more so because of the low-turnout caucus model. (Low turnout compared to primaries, I mean.)

But on the other.. what a madness. The calls would drive me insane.

And Butrflynet, thank you for the heads-up to the earlier post! I'd missed that.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:54 pm
I'll be off soon. Expect to be back between 9 & 10 to report.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:58 pm
You on CSTime? Have fun!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:30 pm
She is, yep. Which makes that between 10 & 11 my time, which makes it after I've already gone to bed. Hmph. I'll be checking in bright and early, that's for sure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:45 pm
My angels guide your footsteps. Or Teamsters depending on which direction you are swinging here.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:08 pm
Back already. I can only report my precinct results. We had 9 delegates to divy up. Hillary got 4, Barack got 3 and Ewards 2. No other viable candidates. I turned on MSNBC to find a three-way tie with Obama, Edwards and Clinton. It's way too early to call this race.

CNN has called the Republican race for Huckabee.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:10 pm
Oh, hi!

Right now CNN has Obama at 34%, Hillary at 32%, and Edwards at 31%:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#IA

Did the whole thing go faster than expected? I wasn't expecting to see so many results so soon.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:12 pm
The turn out at my precinct was HUGE. In 2004 there were 140 people at this precinct caucus. Tonight there were 226. That meant to be viable each candidate needed a minimum of 34 caucusers. Obama had 70, Hillary had at least 96. Dodd had no one show up. I didn't get numbers on the rest of the pack because the room was way crowded and communication was difficult.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:16 pm
Yea, it went way faster than I expected. People got in there groups right away and the first count was done before 7:30. The non-viables and the undecideds were given 30 minutes to either get with another group or go home. It didn't take long. Obama picked up a Kucinich and several Bidens and Richardsons. Apparently the candidates had givine the directive to their caususers to move to Obama if they were not viable.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:21 pm
65% of Democratic Precincts reporting. Obama leading with 35% ...

I'm impressed. This is fast. Wow.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:22 pm
old europe wrote:
65% of Democratic Precincts reporting. Obama leading with 35% ...

I'm impressed. This is fast. Wow.

Agreed. Their organization is great.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:23 pm
Wow, this is fun!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:26 pm
MSNBC has called Iowa for Obama.

OBAMARAMA! FIRST OF MANY