Movie Chat

Sofia

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:44 pm
eoe--
I really loved Return to Me.

edgar--
I had the same experience with the remake of Out Of Towners. Didn't last ten minutes.

I think I'll go to the video store tomorrow and dredge the oldies aisle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:50 pm
I just got the 60s film of "Blowup" and Henry Fonda in "The Oxbow Incident". I haven't seen either one in nearly 40 years. I'm pretty excited. I hope they are as good as I remember.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:55 pm
willow_tl wrote:

Have yet to watch the other movies we rented:

Big Fish
Whale Riders

do you mean whalerider (new zealand film), good movie
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 08:32 am
eoe wrote:
I enjoyed Big Fish a great deal and it struck me how ironic it was that both actors portraying Edward Bloom, a Southerner, are British.

Brits have been playing southerners ever since Vivien Leigh and Leslie Howard starred in "Gone With the Wind" (Leigh, at least, attempted to mimic a southern accent: Howard didn't even try). Frankly, I don't quite understand it, but I guess Hollywood thinks that "an accent is an accent."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:49 pm
A few weeks back I bought The Ox-Bow Incident and Blow Up (Vanessa Redgrave). Before I got to watch them my dog ate the remote control. My wife bought a replacement, but the dog also got it. This time, the store was out of these particular remotes. The universals could usually operate the DVD player, but none could switch the television to "input #2." It took a few weeks going to other of the store's locations, but the last one we visited had a whole wall of them. We bought three.
That same day I watched The Ox-Bow Incident. I had not remembered Henry Fonda's character being that rowdy. Much of the character development in the film was a bit shallow, compared to what I remembered, but it is still to me a great film. On the same disk there is a sort of biography of H F. It tells how his father brought him to witness a lynching of a black person when Fonda was a child. The father's purpose in so doing was to give Fonda a first hand view of man's inhumanity at times to his fellow man. It was remembrance of the incident, they speculated, made him so strong to do the film against the wishes of the studio president. The film lost money.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:16 pm
I saw Osama recently, and convinced children to watch it, as well.

It was very simplistic, but quite a lesson. It really made me appreciative of my country--and incredibly glad the Taliban aren't in control anymore.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:40 pm
sorry djjd62 sometimes i just start typing and don't use the spell check or check my video covers..oh well..but whalerider was a terrific movie and if i had not love ROTK so much, i might have given it the nod for best movie...Big Fish was good too, my roommate recently lost her father so a bigger emotional impact for her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:08 pm
I finally got to see Blowup for the first time since 1968. I still love it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:05 pm
I have long heard raves of the rat pack's Ocean's Eleven, so I brought home the DVD. This is about the fourth time I've tried to watch it. Tonight I did better than the other times. I watched most of the first hour without passing out or turning it off.Then I began to doze a bit. Finally I came in here to check my email and cruise a2k. The film is still running. Must be finally putting their plan in action - People were just singing Auld Lang Syne. I think the power to the city was to go out or something about now. Oh well.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:14 pm
It must not be very ....enthralling, edgar!

Maybe if you get some toothpicks to prop up your eyelids, and, I don't know, some goons to hold you in your chair...
Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:34 pm
And they actually did a remake not long ago.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:48 pm
I saw it. I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm not too big on 'caper movies', but it was catchy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 10:05 pm
Today, on a whim, I bought the DVD of Stagecoach, the John Wayne oater. I recall seeing it on tv maybe as much as 40 years ago. For some reason, my recall of the story and characters was way off. I thought John Wayne was shotgun for the stage, not an escaped convict, for instance.
The scenes were filmed in Utah - Mirage Valley, I think. For the scenery alone it was worth the watching. One of the Duke's best films.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 06:13 pm
I loved Stagecoach, Edgar. That was Monument Valley, Arizona/Utah border, which shows up in a number of John Ford/Wayne films. ( Fort Apache and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, if I'm not mistaken.) I particularly liked John Carradine's character. I also saw the remake in which Bing Crosby played the Thomas Mitchell role and thought he did a pretty good job.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:39 pm
I saw the remake. It was good. Right now I'm watching Seabiscuit. It's so long I had to take a break long enough to see if I won the $100 million lotto.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:21 pm
Didn't win, but Seabea did. Quite a horse. Quite a collection of people. A couple of the scenes with the jockeys having conversations detracted from the overall merit, but I give Seabiscuit a ten anyway because it's easy to dance to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:59 am
THE GODFATHER
Been so long since this one created a sensation. Considering the subject matter and the fact so much hype generally leads to disappointment, I passed on it. Until yesterday. I bought it for less than ten bucks at Walmart. Considering the subject matter, it was a good solid film. But over three hours of people with their mentality is a bit much for me. At the very end, I thought it was going to ramble on another half hour, so I went to see if Hotmail was back online yet. Nope. Came back to find the credits rolling and had to jump it back a bit. "Don't ever ask about my business." People kissing the new Godfather's hand. Credits. Okay ...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:46 pm
Edgar, if you don't already own it, get thee to the DVD store and purchase "To Kill A Mockingbird". I just watched it for the umpteenth time and enjoyed it as much as the first time.

And consider "Night of the Hunter" with Mitchum and Lillian Gish.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:53 pm
Raggedy -
Both of those are excellent. I would like to see them again.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:05 pm
Good. You know you won't be disappointed if you buy them. Very Happy

And, if you haven't seen Sergent Rutledge, you might like that one for a change of pace.
0 Replies