Movie Chat

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 07:25 pm
Yes; it was a 1959 film. I don't recall when Cooper died. On the small screen he doesn't look so bad. He was given the humiliating task of getting these "heroes" to Cordura alive, to be instituted as heroes for the war with Germany everybody knew was coming. When the men learned of Cooper's act of cowardice they turned against him. Van Heflen vowed to kill him at the first opportunity. Tab Hunter stayed loyal a bit longer than the rest, but seemed much more over the edge than the rest finally. They found a rail section car and began pumping it. Soon the men refused to help with it and walked on the tracks ahead. Then they came to a steep grade. He and Rita Hayworth were getting it to the top until a soldier tripped her. Then the car dragged Cooper all the way down the hill, nearly killing him. That's when the men took his notebook and began reading his notes about them. Just then someone looked over the hill and saw Cordura. Need I say it? They walked together down the hill: THE END.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 07:34 pm
Aaah, thank you. It's coming back to me, now. I'll keep a look out for it on TCM.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:12 pm
I am really fond of Cooper in Friendly Persuasion. It is done with just the right mix of humor and drama. I felt a bit put off with Shenandoah (Who'd it star? James Stewart?) because it seemed to be getting its story every step of the way from Friendly Persuasion - Plus too sticky sentimental.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:35 pm
Has anyone ever seen Olsen and Johnson's "Hellsapoppin"?, that and Bob Hope's version of "The Cat and The Canary" are on the top of my list right now. I don't think either have ever been released on video.
and "Ed Wood is being released the begining of next month.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:40 pm
Ed Wood. Got to check it out.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 10:51 pm
I enjoyed Shenandoah. It was more of a mushy movie than a civil war movie...I liked the combination of both.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:47 am
thiefoflight wrote:
Has anyone ever seen Olsen and Johnson's "Hellsapoppin"?

As far as I know, no Olsen & Johnson film has been released on dvd, or even on videocassette for that matter. I've never seen "Hellzapoppin" -- in fact, I've never seen an Olsen & Johnson movie, just some film clips here and there -- but I'd certainly be interested in seeing some of their work. The same goes for Clark & McCullough, another long-forgotten movie comedy duo.

As a trivial aside, one of the Johnsons in "Blazing Saddles" (all the townsfolk are named "Johnson") is named Olsen Johnson.

thiefoflight wrote:
...that and Bob Hope's version of "The Cat and The Canary" are on the top of my list right now. I don't think either have ever been released on video.

It appears that "The Cat and the Canary" dvd is in the pipeline, but it has no release date yet. Quite a few of the Bob Hope movies have been released on dvd, so I would expect that this one will come out in due time.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 01:55 pm
Thanks,Joe
I'll be first in line for my copy of "The Cat and The Canary". My grandmother saw "Hellzapoppin" live on Broadway and she could still remember alot of the sketches. She said the movie was pretty faithful to the show, but live it was wild. They had people running through the audience and even continued the show in the lobby as they were leaving! Another thing I've always wanted to see is an English film called "Alf's Button Afloat"[1938] by the Crazy Gang. I've got a list a page long of 30's and 40's comedies I want to see.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:58 pm
There are quite a few comedies by the like of Stu Erwin I would like to see.

Lart month I bought a two CD of Laurel and Hardy. Laurel was featured in some silents he made before he and Hardy teamed up. Then there was their first team effort. The comedy was too broad for me. I found it hard to sit through several of them in a row. Of more interest were a public service announcement by them and a studio promotional film sponsered by a cigarette company; the promotional put all of their top draws on display, with most, including Laurel and Hardy, seen only for a few minutes. It was topped off with a sound feature, Utopia, which had a few moments, but was also not their best work.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:04 am
thiefoflight: I'm sure your grandmother's recollections were right on the money: "Hellzapoppin" was, by all accounts, the wildest show ever on Broadway. I'm not sure why the movie version hasn't been released on dvd, or even videocassette. Universal produced the film, and it has been somewhat slow in releasing the Abbott & Costello pictures as well, so I don't know what's going on there.

edgarblythe: I hope you got a good deal on those Laurel & Hardy dvds. It appears that some of the L&H films (especially the early shorts) have fallen into the public domain, which means that a lot of cheap dvds, based on bad transfers, have been released. Madacy is one of the chief culprits in this business, but there are a lot of other companies that put out sub-standard dvds of old movies. This is a particular problem with silent films, which can really be butchered by some of these outfits. Personally, I wouldn't touch any silent film dvd that wasn't put out by Criterion, Kino, or Image.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:59 am
This collection was clear and well done. I did buy one DVD very cheap and lived to regret it: Shane. Almost all of the scenes looked as though it was filmed at night. All that gorgeous photograpy obsured.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:44 pm
I brought home Rocky the other day. I had such fond memories of it I immediately put it on to play. But it was hard to get into it. I guess it has played out with me. Other films I loved, but may not be able to watch again, are Patton, Back to the future, For a Few Dollars More, Mighty Joe Young, Alien, Popeye, Shane, Hud, Don't Look Back (the Dylan flick).
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:00 pm
Edgar: I loved Rocky when it first played. The audience actually cheered. (Do they still do that?) But, when I saw it on TV, I felt the same way you did. It had lost its "spark" for me.

I've seen Friendly Persuasion at least four times and that movie always gives me enjoyment. Gary Cooper was a joy to watch, as was the rest of the cast, in that film.

The other night I watched Duel in the Sun which I hadn't seen in over 10 years and although on the small screen much of the magnificent scenery was lost, it still was impressive, as was the soundtrack, and all the excellent character actors. (Lillian Gish and Lionel Barrymore, to name two). You might enjoy that one again.

I never tire of watching Shane.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:48 pm
There are several old movies which i enjoy watching over and over again.
Most are Bette Davis Flicks.
All About Eve is my favorite, more for George Sanders really, a great character, and very witty dialogue. I am always impressed with the witty dialogue of old movies compared to the ones made today, what can be more fun than 1934's The Women! Joan Crawford was never better than in that movie if you ask me. And even though I adore Bette Davis, Joan was the stand out in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane". Now, Voyager gets played in the house over and over again too. Jimmy Stewart is a favorite as well, I would never watch Harvey as a young person, but when I saw it for the first time as an adult, I thought it one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Great thread....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:59 pm
Same here. Addison DeWitt is one of my alltime favorite characters. My favorite line at the moment is at the party when he says to Margo, "You're maudlin and full of self-pity...you're magnificent." Delicious.
Next time I watch it, I'll have another favorite line.
I can watch "The Apartment" with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacClain over and over and over.
I'll stop there. Smile
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 02:06 pm
eoe--my favorite line is "you're too short for that gesture." I use it on my roommate all the time...LOL But there are so many good lines....:-)
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 02:36 pm
And how about Jack Lemmon using a tennis racket to strain spaghetti in The Apartment?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:56 pm
Jack Lemon was one of the truly great screen actors.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:10 pm
Edgar: Are you only interested in watching DVD movies? I ask because Little Caesar is on TCM now in PA. and Some Like It Hot will follow it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:18 pm
I never heard of TCM. Could you clue me?
0 Replies