Movie Chat

cyphercat

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 12:51 pm
We just saw V for Vendetta last night; it was actually really interesting.

I wasn't expecting much after how carried away the Wachowski brothers got with the Matrix sequels, but it turned out to be very good. They still got a little overenthusiastic with the gouts of blood and balletic slaying, but that was just one scene. It was a good story with some interesting ideas about government gone wrong, that kind of thing.

Overall I'd recommend it. Anybody else seen it?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:47 pm
I watched "Amelie" the other night for the first time. The cinematography was outstanding. Loved the deep, rich colors. And what a cutie the lead actress was. Just adorable. I was so satisfied that she finally found some happiness with another human being. She was such a sweetie, God knows she deserved it.

My question tho' is what came first? This movie with the traveling gnome or that travel agency some years ago that featured a gnome in their commercials?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:53 pm
I don't have an answer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:20 pm
A friend gave me her collection of James Stewart movies. I've watched three westerns and the Glenn Miller Story this weekend. Guess I will save the rest for another time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:40 pm
My favorite James Stewart is "Spirit of St. Louis," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "The Philadelphia Story, "Vertigo," and "Rear Window."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:29 pm
The next movie on the list has Fabian in it. I will at least give it a shot.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:42 pm
That must be "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation". It's fun. Mr. Stewart at his exasperated best.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:47 pm
Could be, eoe. She taped these herself and she didn't label them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:39 am
The film with Fabian turned out to be "Dear Bridget." Billy Mumy, Stewart's son, has this fantasy about meeting B Bardot.

Since then, I've watched "No Highway in the Sky." I had seen this one at least three times, and so intended to skip most of it. But, it's so darned good I had to watch it all.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:50 am
Oh yeah...I remember that one also, with Glynis Johns as the wife, right?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
Edgar -you don't like much stuff from recently, do you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 10:12 am
I don't go to see many new films. Mostly wait for DVD sales. My brother keeps telling me, "See this one- Mighty good." Like, last time, it was Mickey Blue Eyes. After the hilarious early restaurant scene, in which the Chinese woman says "Eat f-ing cookie," I gradually lost interest, barely caught the end. Meet the Fockers. Took ten minutes to cut it off. I enjoyed the new King Kong. Saw a good one a month or two back I don't recall the name of- Guys fighting in Iraq. Gulf War.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:27 am
Jarhead?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:39 am
I bet that's it. Well done, good in depth character development.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:41 am
How about Antwone Fisher? Finding Forrester?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:43 am
I haven't seen that. Maybe I should.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:09 pm
Well, I don't know about "should" - they were just two movies that came right to mind that I consider good, thoughtful movies that you might like.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:49 pm
I don't consider that the time period a movie was made should be a factor in whether or not to watch it. Some that I avoid, I actually would enjoy. I know, because, as an instance, I avoided Titanic. When Mrs edgarblythe asked if we could go see it, I agreed, figuring to get in some good zees. But, I enjoyed it very much and didn't mind the length at all.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 03:26 pm
I just watched one that I hadn't seen in years.

It was called "What Dreams may Come".
Starring Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr.

Great film,I highly reccommend it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 04:30 pm
Saw it, sort of liked it, mm.
0 Replies