Movie Chat

mac11

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:05 pm
Please remind me, edgar. What was the final comment?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:34 pm
He said, as a grizzly bear murdered Brad Pit's character, "That was a good death."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:46 am
billy falcon wrote:
Joe, that was a great list. One other film not included pops up at me, "The Treasure of Sierra Madre"

Thanks, billy. And I agree: "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is a terrific film. But I wanted to keep my list at 100 films, and I already had four Bogart pictures ("Maltese Falcon," "Casablanca," "The Big Sleep," and "Caine Mutiny"), so I had to make some painful choices (I also didn't include "The African Queen").
0 Replies

Relay

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:40 pm
Movies are wonderful i am happy to be the owner of these movies.

Spirited Away (2002)
The Green Mile (1999) *
Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael (1990)
Boys Don't Cry (1999) *
Elizabeth (1998)
Dances With Wolves (1990)
Gremlins (1984) *
The Thin Red Line (1998)
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)
Girl, Interrupted (1999)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)*
Jurassic Park (1993) *
The Postman (1997) *
Heathers (1989)
Terminator 2 - Judgment Day (1991)
Shakespeare in Love (1998)
A Bronx Tale (1993)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
The Matrix (1999)
Stalingrad (1993)
Batman (1989) *
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
Superman: The Movie (1978)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
The Gate (1987)

Movies i really want to collect to my DVD LIbrary is
Little Women (1994)
The House of the Spirits (1994)
I cant remember more than these ones at the moment.

Movies are magic
My newest favorite is Spirited Away what a fantastic movie.

All of them is not DVD those with a *() is VHS
0 Replies

Relay

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:45 pm
If you want to chose 3 movies to see in a big movie evening and night with your friends i advice you to take these movies

Start with
Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael (1990)

Take something to eat then see
Cinema Paradiso (1989)

And end with
Little Women (1994)

all movies will keep you and your friends in a happy mood. and tears will fall beacuse these movies are good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:58 am
Thanks relay. Welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:07 am
As a fan of the classic shoot'emup western, I greatly enjoyed Purgatory last night. I was worried the twist in the plot (Wild Bill Hickock, Billy the Kid and the rest, could not be violent or attract violence if they were to move from the halfway house type of town into Heaven) could prevent a satisfying gunfight at the end, but, the writer managed to get around that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:29 am
In the mid 90's, there were two versions of the Wyatt Earp saga. "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell and "Wyatt Earp" with Kevin Costner. In "Tombstone", Doc Holiday was played by Val Kilmer. In "Wyatt Earp", Doc was played by Dennis Quaid. Both actors threw themselves into the role of this colorful Southern gentleman/gambler. If you saw both of them, who was your favorite Doc?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:52 am
Val Kilmer, hands down, much as I like Dennis Quaid. That looked like Quaid's brother, Randy playing Doc in Purgatory.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:17 am
To me, Dennis Quaid is what could be called an "unfinished" actor. He has so much potential, but rare is the satisfying prformance from him.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:23 am
Have you seen "Far From Heaven"? It was a gutsy role for him, if nothing else.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 12:37 pm
Missed it. I like Dennis. I just think he needs a little something to make him top notch most of the time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:04 am
Saturday I bought The Runaway Jury. I was very disappointed in it. I felt it could have had a good premise, but none of the pieces truly fit well. I barely hung in long enough to see the conclusion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:41 pm
Watched Cast Away a second time today. I liked it first time, but did not fully get into it. This time I enjoyed it immensely. Some of the scenes between Tom Hanks' character and Wilson the soccer ball were priceless.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:30 pm
Oh, the way he cried when he lost Wilson. It was heartwrenching. But brilliant. He had to lose him, didn't he? He couldn't re-enter society with a soccer ball best friend.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:39 pm
For sure. I was astounded at the physical change in Tom Hanks' body, too. From a pudgy city boy to a lean muscular Robinson Cruso. The concluding scenes were too ambivalent for me, though.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:50 pm
I've always thought Quaid has been weak in his roles. I almost feel guilty saying that, because I have a positive 'vibe' toward him--whatever that means-- but his acting comes off as stilted or fabricated to me.

I have thought Tom Hanks was something special since Bosom Buddies. He really is a treasure. Looking forward to seeing his new one--The Ladykillers? Castaway didn't do it for me, but I understand I am in a distinct minority on this count.

I agree with edgar about both Quaid and Kilmer. I think Val's performance as Doc was one of my all time favorites.

Anyone run across a sleeper they really enjoyed lately?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:31 pm
I brought home The Out of Towners, with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn. Years ago I enjoyed the original, with Jack Lemon and Sandy Dennis. Seemed right away the spirit that made it work for Lemon/Dennis was lacking. I only watched until they had lost their car and rewound it. Dismal is all I can think to describe it.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:51 pm
i know some will not like the movie..but rented "Love Actually" and parts are pretty droll, but loved seeing Rickman and Thompson together, and I can't help but be smitten with Hugh Grant.
Also rented "The Pianist" Adrian was great....but still like "Schindler's List" when dealing with the holacaust.
Have yet to watch the other movies we rented:

Big Fish
Whale Riders
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:18 am
I enjoyed Big Fish a great deal and it struck me how ironic it was that both actors portraying Edward Bloom, a Southerner, are British.

The actor portraying the young Mrs. Bloom was a wonderful lookalike to Jessica Lange. Don't you just love it when casting is on target?

My favorite sleeper at the moment is "Return to Me' with Minnie Driver and David Duchovney. It's a sweet and touching love story.

I also loved "Two Can Play That Game" with Viveca Fox and Morris Chestnut. Viveca was just so natural and real in this role, I enjoyed her performance most of all.
0 Replies