fresco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 01:56 pm
c.i.

We covered multidimensionality some time ago (maybe on abuzz). This is one possible angle on "nonduality" where apparantly separate entities could be connected through unseen dimensions. From what I recall the mathematicians who responded didn't like that idea much !
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
Terry & co ?

An interesting silence indeed !

Here's another snippet this time from reference 3.

Prigogine type self-organisation in chemical systems and von Foerster type self-organisation in biological and social systems. Indeed, the whole cosmos may be viewed as a self-organising system. Von Foerster's definition emphasises processes of growth and evolution and the limits imposed on an observer who wishes to model those processes. What is not generally recognised is that the existence of these limits also implies that the concept of a "causal mechanism" is itself held in question. McCulloch (1965) refers to "that great fiction, causality". Bateson (1972) stresses that in cybernetics, the question asked of complex systems is not what is causing what but rather, why did that particular event come to be, given the many alternative possibilities?

Making sense yet ?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:13 pm
fresco wrote:
Terry & co ?

An interesting silence indeed !

Here's another snippet this time from reference 3.

Prigogine type self-organisation in chemical systems and von Foerster type self-organisation in biological and social systems. Indeed, the whole cosmos may be viewed as a self-organising system. Von Foerster's definition emphasises processes of growth and evolution and the limits imposed on an observer who wishes to model those processes. What is not generally recognised is that the existence of these limits also implies that the concept of a "causal mechanism" is itself held in question. McCulloch (1965) refers to "that great fiction, causality". Bateson (1972) stresses that in cybernetics, the question asked of complex systems is not what is causing what but rather, why did that particular event come to be, given the many alternative possibilities?

Making sense yet ?

If the brain processes the data provided by the mind, or the'inquistor', who/what issues the directive to institute the 'inquisition' that produced the data and why?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:25 pm
Gelisgesti

In this context your categories "brain" "mind" "inquisitor" etc could be seen as "levels of order" as in the term "second order cybernetics". If you refer to reference 3 above in my list under the section "epistemology of the observer" this may become a little clearer, although a limited (as opposed to infinite) regress is not ruled out to the level of "the cosmos".
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:45 pm
...I should perhaps have added that "brain" "mind" and "data" all become deconstructed within a "systems view" of cognition. This is covered in the Capra Reference where he advocates the nonduality of mind and matter in opposition to the Cartesian view.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:53 pm
truth
I agree, Frank. Let's just cool it.
Terry, I was sitting in a surgeon's office waiting for him to finish reading my MRI report and give his decision about whether or not I need surgery for my rotator cuff tear, and all I could think of was my response to your last post. THAT'S how valuable these dialogs are to me. I'll give you my response about the nature of the atman--as I see it--in a minute. But I want to say now that I appreciate your very adequate understanding of my position as stated in the first paragraph of you last post.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:28 pm
fresco wrote:
Gelisgesti

In this context your categories "brain" "mind" "inquisitor" etc could be seen as "levels of order" as in the term "second order cybernetics". If you refer to reference 3 above in my list under the section "epistemology of the observer" this may become a little clearer, although a limited (as opposed to infinite) regress is not ruled out to the level of "the cosmos".

Hi fresco, the etc was the object of my question. If the process were not logical the results would be illogical and random, serving no purpose with endless branching. What would constitute a controlling force in tne development of say .... a coherent thought, as opposed to one of my own? Smile
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:33 pm
PS.
I wonder if this would've impacted Piaget's thoughts on time?

< Time >
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 09:35 pm
Gels, What are you trying to suggest with our concept of time as it relates to our reality? I don't think one needs to have a brain impairment such as Parkinson's to have a misconception of time.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Gels, What are you trying to suggest with our concept of time as it relates to our reality? I don't think one needs to have a brain impairment such as Parkinson's to have a misconception of time.

CI, only that time is a concept that due to it's nature is inconsistant. Einstein described the past, present and future as "persistent illusions." Piaget used velocity in describing a childs development of 'time' cognition while in actuality velocity alters time, the faster an object travels the slower time gets ...in relation to a stationary object. So tiime is only 'personally' relevant and as such is immune to 'misconception'.
A child is born with a sense of time's passage.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:19 am
Terry wrote:

Quote:
Twyvel, you ignored my response to you (Feb 7 post 551366) regarding the observation of awareness, consciousness, knowledge, and brains, and simply reiterated the one point on which I suggested that we agree to disagree: subject/object dichotomy and infinite regression.

Fare enough….

Quote:
Quote:
I meant that it is absurd to claim that people may be automatons in order to avoid admitting that their behavior reflects awareness.
Quote:
[sigh] I did not say that we could observe awareness by watching someone walk down the street. But we CAN observe awareness by observing how they respond to questions and novel situations.

Same difference. Behavior is behavior.

Apart from that please explain yourself.

Quote:
No, of course not. In order to experience someone else's consciousness, we would have to have a telepathic connection to their mind.
Quote:
But we can observe their consciousness by measuring their brain's responses to stimuli and by noting their behavior.
Quote:
This one issue is whether or not consciousness can be observed. It is not about suppositions of what may produce it.

Quote:
What's wrong with figuring out what produces the consciousness that many of us do indeed observe?
Quote:
Dualism doesn't hold any promises.

Quote:
Then of what use is it?

I think the only promise dualism holds is the discovery of its flaws that would lead to its abandonment and eventual inquiry into nondualism.

Quote:
Something you fail to grasp is all knowledge is mental.

Quote:
Depends on how you define the words. Computers can acquire, store and act on "knowledge" but have no mental concepts of anything.

When does knowledge become knowledge?

A rock holds as much knowledge as a computer, i.e. none.

I think knowledge only becomes so when rocks, computers etc. are interpreted by humans. Knowledge is interpretation.

Quote:
Consciousness came from evolution of our brains, which is where it resides and has no reason to go anywhere else (especially after death).

You are welcome to your guess.

Quote:
Why should "I" be limited to one state that would encompass wakefulness, various sleep stages, meditation, psychosis, drug-induced hallucinations, coma, and everything else? "I" am not always "myself."
Quote:
You are wrong, we do not 'know' if consciousness requires brains.

Quote:
You may not "know" but my level of knowledge on the subject seems to be a bit more extensive.
Quote:
You don't necessarily need a brain, but at a minimum consciousness requires organized patterns of matter/energy and a way to manipulate them with self-awareness. There must be a source of input, a data storage system, time sense, imaging system (does not have to be visual), a way to process data and evaluate decisions. Unless you believe in magic.
Quote:
Quote:
twyvel, this is BS, pure and simple. Of course I can observe myself, others can observe me, and I can observe others and apply that knowledge to my own experience. Have you ever heard the expression "know thyself"? "I" exist as surely as love.

"know thyself"?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:22 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Quote:
I hope everyone else appreciated the irony as much as I did when twyvel complained about the effrontery of Frank and Terry actually agreeing with each other. Really, twyvel, that was too funny!

The only thing that could have made it better would have been if the other members of the non-dualistic amen corner, fresco and JLN, had submitted their obligatory "oooh, twyvel, you're so profound" follow-up posts. That would have been priceless!

That's incorrect joefromchicagoFrank and Terry agreeing with each other. That is a misinterpretation.

This is how it went:

Frank wrote on the. "Illusion of free will" thread:

Quote:
Twyvel

I have no animosity toward you -- I merely am pointing out that you are peddling a belief system here on the Internet -- and like most peddlers of belief systems, you often present it as though you KNOW it to be so.

What we live in MAY be an illusion of some kind. It also MAY be exactly what it seems to be to people in the street. It also MAY be something so different from either of these alternatives, that the REALITY of what it is cannot be comprehended -- whether by you or me or the non-dualistic whatever.

You have picked out one of these several possibilities and are peddling it as the truth. You seem unable to comprehend both the fact that you are doing it -- and the implications of the fact that you are.

Continue to do so. It apparently makes you complete (irony intended).

When I see the belief system being peddled -- I will share the observation.

Let's both live with that.

(And though Frank did not mention it here, FrankFrank wrote on this thread:

Quote:
Ahhh, Terry.

SO MANY BELIEF SYSTEMS...so little time to challenge them all.

The irony lies in FranksFrank presents Terry and Frank as crusaders against and challengers of all BELIEF SYSTEMS,

And the irony is….

As I have stated:

Terry her/himself is an advocate and believer, and to use Frank's word, a "peddler", and to use Terry's word, an evangelist, of the Material Dualist Belief System…………………just like the Christians, according to Frank.

Terry and Frank agreeing with and supporting each other has nothing to do with what I said; Nothing wrong with mutual support.

What has everything to do with what I said, is that the DUALIST MATERIAL BELIEF SYSTEM that Terry is an advocate of is not only unquestioned and unchallenged by Terry and Frank as the most pervasive and noxious belief system on the planet, it is encouraged, supported and certainly believed in on Terry's part and for the most part accepted unquestioningly by Frank.

So there you have it, the debunkers of belief systems are an irony unto themselves.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:24 am
Terry

Quote:
Have you ever actually experienced the non-dualistic state?
Quote:
If so, do you have any awareness of particular objects making up the universe or only a "feeling" of being at one with everything? In other words, can you gather any useful information (remote sensing, for instance) from your experiences?
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:28 am
Reality is a logical falsility made by man to help ease our minds. The fantasy of this world of numbers and so called "facts" are here only to help distinguish in our minds a sense of reality vs unreality. The only certainty is in nothing.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:50 am
Gelisgesti,

Alas "thought" itself becomes deconstructed except as a "token of communicative exchange". In other words our communication which uses words like "thought" is part of a "coherent system" of interaction. There is no "thought" except as part of the system. (This social interaction can be internal self1 with self2)

Compare...there is no "function"(coherence) of a bood-cell except as part of a "body". The discussion of a single "blood cell" as just a "cell" would be semantically vacuous because it ignores the import of the adjective "blood". Discussion of "cellness" would serve another purpose at a different level of analysis. (Gestalt - The whole is greater than the sum of its parts - a part necessarily reflects the whole. This point is reflected in twyvels holographic references above).

So in essence "coherence" means an aspect of the "stability" of a system.
And "autopoiesis" implies self regulating i.e. no "external control". This concept is of course rejected by theists who wish to limit a potential infinite regress of "observers" by putting a "God" at the top.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 06:45 am
twyvel,

The problem we have as "non-dualists" is that the principle is so self-evident to us, that we underestimate the vested interests which trap the others into the conventional view. I remember when I was a research student for example that some state school teachers on the masters course in applied linguistics, found it extremely difficult to "take" Chomsky who argued that grammar is descriptive not prescriptive. Not surprising for people who had spent a lifetime drilling "correct English" into the kids !

What we have here is something similar, good intentioned people in the main who have knee-jerk responses to words like "belief", "evidence"and "logic" etc whose defence seems to be to question the credibility of the source, the intellect (or sylistics) of the opponent, or the utility of the material offered.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 08:02 am
fresco wrote:
Gelisgesti,

Quote:
Alas "thought" itself becomes deconstructed except as a "token of communicative exchange". In other words our communication which uses words like "thought" is part of a "coherent system" of interaction. There is no "thought" except as part of the system. (This social interaction can be internal self1 with self2)

By limiting thought to a nuance I would think one would be more aware of the subtleties involved in a 'thought'. Thoughts are as real as the keyboards we are using to have this conversation. While you cannot see a thought you can witness the reality of it by looking at the light coming from your lamp and the 'mind's' creation of invisible particles called protons. Real is not real because the observer judges it to be so and thoughts are more than social nuance, they are the creator.

Quote:
Compare...there is no "function"(coherence) of a bood-cell except as part of a "body". The discussion of a single "blood cell" as just a "cell" would be semantically vacuous because it ignores the import of the adjective "blood". Discussion of "cellness" would serve another purpose at a different level of analysis. (Gestalt - The whole is greater than the sum of its parts - a part necessarily reflects the whole. This point is reflected in twyvels holographic references above).

Infinity stretches in both directions. There is no other function of the body than to harbor blood cells? In the other direction carboxyhemaglobin is the constituent of a blood cell that transports oxygen to the cells. Its major componet is 'iron', a metal found freely on the planet. So in the microcosmic sense the constituents of a blood cell are common and not relegated to the existence of a carbon based life form.

Quote:
So in essence "coherence" means an aspect of the "stability" of a system.
And "autopoiesis" implies self regulating i.e. no "external control". This concept is of course rejected by theists who wish to limit a potential infinite regress of "observers" by putting a "God" at the top.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 08:59 am
fresco, thanks for the links. I did read them but between family concerns and work I just don't have time for a detailed response right now.

I suspect that many of the disagreements here result from attaching different meanings to words such as "observe" "causal" "information" and "belief."

For instance, when I read this I rejected the possibility of interaction without transfer of force or any formation:
Quote:
Given the principle of structural determination, interaction among systems is explained as '...a history of recurrent interactions leading to the structural congruence between two (or more) systems' (Maturana & Varela, 1987, p. 75). Structural coupling is the label for ongoing engagement between systems, resulting in structural changes in each. Structural coupling describes ongoing mutual co-adaptation without allusion to a transfer of some ephemeral force or information across the boundaries of the engaged systems.

but it certainly seems that we often interact here without actually transferring any information whatsoever. :wink:
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:01 am
JLN, will you have to have surgery on your rotator cuff? Hope all goes well.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:46 am
Terry's quote, "but it certainly seems that we often interact here without actually transferring any information whatsoever." Now, THAT, I understand. Wink
0 Replies