Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:20 pm
I know this may seem a bit immature of a question to bring in to such a complex society of philosophers, but I have entered into this discussion a few times now only to come out more confused than before.
What is your definition of reality? Is reality the physical world? Or is it a mixture of both mental and physical realms? Is there a reality?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 25,537 • Replies: 551
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:23 pm
There is no such thing as "reality."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:24 pm
BTW, Mhatte-Rhaye, WELCOME to A2K.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 02:20 pm
That could be what people actually see, feel, hear, touch before they lie about it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 03:26 pm
Reality is -- whatever IS.

I certainly do not know what reality is -- and every indication is that neither does anyone else.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:04 pm
Reality is the perception of "facts" by your ego onto the world around you.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:01 pm
Reality is typically considered the universe and everything in it, including mental entities, ie, mental entities exist.

When someone says there is no such thing as reality, you immediately have access to the reality of a child, ....children often ignore reality and can suffer greatly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:27 pm
Hey, people, we now have a great new philosopher on A2K. David Henry, oh great one, please enlighten us with your wisdom. I am a child of 68.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:31 pm
truth
If you can tell me what is unreal, I'll tell you what is real. To me it is simply what IS, as Frank put it. It is one of those meanings that is metaphysical, which is to say it is a fundamental, foundational presupposition, without which we cannot get along intellectually--even more than space and time. Notice that physics can mess with time and space, even questioning their reality; but they never question the existence or value of the concept of Reality.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:39 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Notice that physics can mess with time and space, even questioning their reality; but they never question the existence or value of the concept of Reality.

Beautifully expressed. Very Happy
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:42 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hey, people, we now have a great new philosopher on A2K. David Henry, oh great one, please enlighten us with your wisdom. I am a child of 68.

Your physical age is not in question here Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:52 pm
I know, David Henry. You must've missed my last sentence.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:55 pm
David Henry's quote, ".........children often ignore reality and can suffer greatly." Are you telling us that adults over 18 do not have this problem? What is your definition of a "child?" BTW, what "reality" are you talking about?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:55 pm
truth
DH, your compliment is appreciated.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:56 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I know, David Henry. You must've missed my last sentence.

Reality is "typically" what people reference knowledge to, if there is no reality, then what is knowledge referenced to?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 10:58 pm
That's what I'm trying to find out from you!
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:00 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
David Henry's quote, ".........children often ignore reality and can suffer greatly." Are you telling us that adults over 18 do not have this problem? What is your definition of a "child?" BTW, what "reality" are you talking about?

A child is loosely defined as one who "cannot" think critically,.... as opposed to an adult or mature child who has the capability to think critically, although may not necessarily utilize.

Reality is what I know via my perceptions and assumptions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:05 pm
Your assumption, then, is that all adults have critical thinking abilty? Can you prove this?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:06 pm
How do you know that your perceptions and assumptions are real?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 11:12 pm
Some airline pilots have claimed that they have seen UFO's. Is their reality true?
0 Replies