Hidden Talent

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:42 pm
@GracieGirl,
Rockhead is not entirely correct.

Many years ago before a2k existed, a bunch of us were on another forum. I made the mistake of complaining that my parents pronounced my name Roboita (a kind of Noo Yawk accent). Every night my father would say to me, Roboita, is the water berling.

I mentioned it only once in passing. Everybody picked up on it. And many people have called me Boida, Boita, Raboita, etc., ever since. As several people have warned you, Gracie, you have to be careful about what you say on these forums. Or something unexpected may just bite you in the ass.

Just remembered another hidden talent. I can somehow disconnect my finger joints so that the end joint of the finger (the part with the nail) just sort of dangles. When you tap it, it flaps back and forth. This works only on my middle finger, ring finger, and pinky. The other fingers stay connected.

I have a Noo Yawk accent, but a Bronx accent. My parents' accent was from the Lower East Side.
wayne

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:15 am
@Roberta,
Oh man, you just gave me the willies, I bet that was a great talent in grade school Smile
Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:25 am
@wayne,
wayne, I was a star. People saying, "ewww" for miles around.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:54 am
@Roberta,
I would have let the goil figure things out for herself.
Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 01:18 am
@roger,
Gracie is smart, Roger, but this is a foreign realm. I little help can't hoit.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:07 am
@GracieGirl,
I can't either, but I can do this....

I can stack up to 50 pennies on the elbow (my arm is bent with my elbow sticking out) and then flick my arm down and catch all 50 pennies without dropping one.
Linkat

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:08 am
@Rockhead,
now that's totally gross
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:09 am
@GracieGirl,
You need to be extremely flexible or have short legs - my mom can do that but because she has short legs.
Eva

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:57 am
@Linkat,
Flexibility helps, but it has more to do with the length of one's arms and legs compared to the length of one's trunk. I am long-bodied, that's the trick.
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:33 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Rockhead is not entirely correct.

Many years ago before a2k existed, a bunch of us were on another forum. I made the mistake of complaining that my parents pronounced my name Roboita (a kind of Noo Yawk accent). Every night my father would say to me, Roboita, is the water berling.

I mentioned it only once in passing. Everybody picked up on it. And many people have called me Boida, Boita, Raboita, etc., ever since. As several people have warned you, Gracie, you have to be careful about what you say on these forums. Or something unexpected may just bite you in the ass.

Oh! Now I get it. LOL Smile

Quote:
Just remembered another hidden talent. I can somehow disconnect my finger joints so that the end joint of the finger (the part with the nail) just sort of dangles. When you tap it, it flaps back and forth. This works only on my middle finger, ring finger, and pinky. The other fingers stay connected.

Ewwwwwww!! That's soo weird. Surprised Laughing

Quote:
I have a Noo Yawk accent, but a Bronx accent. My parents' accent was from the Lower East Side.

I know you're from New York but I can't picture you with a Bronx accent. Haha! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZCPGQOt3R8
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:34 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I can't either, but I can do this....

I can stack up to 50 pennies on the elbow (my arm is bent with my elbow sticking out) and then flick my arm down and catch all 50 pennies without dropping one.

Oh! Now that's pretty cool! I'll try that!
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:36 pm
@Eva,
Wait, you can really do that?! Hahahaha!! Laughing
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:36 pm
@GracieGirl,
hearing Boida's voice on the phone is one of the few things that instantly makes me smile.

nobody else sounds quite like she does.

Very Happy
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

hearing Boida's voice on the phone is one of the few things that instantly makes me smile.

nobody else sounds quite like she does.

Very Happy

I wouldn't say that, Rock. Molly Goldberg did a pretty good impression of our Roberta. Molly Picon, too.
Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Andy, You heard me speak before my throat was zapped. The accent hasn't changed, but the voice is "different."

Someone in some long forgotten thread said she pictured me sounding like Linda Richman from SNL. Not quite. Linda has a Queens accent. But the comment made me laugh out loud.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?annotation_id=annotation_348361&user=jtrjaberg96&feature=iv&src_vid=QqPiJ0L7YmY#p/u/0/QqPiJ0L7YmY
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:58 pm
@Roberta,
Yer right. We haven't spoken since before your unfortunate surgery. I remember you sounding quite pleasant. And I gotta be honest with you -- I can't tell the difference between the Lower East Side patois and the Bronx dialect. Queens is another matter entirely.
Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 06:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Bronx is me. Linda Richman is Queens. And my parents were Lower East Side at the turn of the last century. I don't know how people down there tawk now.

BTW, didn't have surgery on my throat (yet). I had radiation.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 06:03 pm
@Roberta,
I have feeling the people from the Lower East Side who moved waaaay uptown to the Bronx took their accent with them. That's why I can't hear any significant difference.
0 Replies