enterprise = ?

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:23 am

Context:

Science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Science (from Latin: scientia meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.[1][2][3][4] An older and closely related meaning still in use today is that of Aristotle, for whom scientific knowledge was a body of reliable knowledge that can be logically and rationally explained (see "History and etymology" section below).[5]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 645 • Replies: 7
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:27 am
@oristarA,
I've looked into Cambridge Dictionary Online, the Definition that it gives conveys a sense of uncertainty:
[C or U] an organization, especially a business, or a difficult and important plan, especially one that will earn money.

So I post my question here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:46 am
One could define enterprise as any activity which is undertaken to derive a benefit or a profit. The Hudson's Bay Company was an enterprise undertaken to derive a profit. The Massachusetts Bay Company was an enterprise undertaken to derive a benedit, which was a colony in which Purtians could practice their religion without interference.
oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

One could define enterprise as any activity which is undertaken to derive a benefit or a profit. The Hudson's Bay Company was an enterprise undertaken to derive a profit. The Massachusetts Bay Company was an enterprise undertaken to derive a benedit, which was a colony in which Purtians could practice their religion without interference.

But the image of traditional scientists is generally high-minded, not money seekers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:58 am
That's not the only opition, but i'd say you're rather naïve if you think there aren't plently of scientists who hope to derive a profit from their efforts. Thomas Edison comes immediately to mind.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that scientists hope to derive a benefit from their activities, even if they are not seeking a profit.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 11:05 am
Quote:
enterprise
noun
a project undertaken or to be undertaken, especially one that is important or difficult or that requires boldness or energy: To keep the peace is a difficult enterprise.
a plan for such a project.
participation or engagement in such projects: Our country was formed by the enterprise of resolute men and women.
boldness or readiness in undertaking; adventurous spirit; ingenuity.
a company organized for commercial purposes; business firm.
EXPAND
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:39 pm
@oristarA,

Bad definition, I think.
Science is not an enterprise at all.
The guy who wrote that Wikipedia entry should try harder.

No wonder your dictionary is of little help in making sense of it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 05:12 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
One could define enterprise as any activity which is undertaken to derive a benefit or a profit.

One could but then one could justifiably be accused of having a one track mind. One would also be remiss in answering Ori's question.

-----------------------------------------
AHD:

Noun

enterprise

1 An undertaking, especially one of some scope, complication, and risk.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/enterprise

-------------------------------

0 Replies