to add depth to the secondary =?

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 02:35 am

Context:

"It was a great bounce. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way," Trufant said. "Your eyes get five inches wide when you see a ball like that."

The 5-7, 160-pound Trufant was the unlikeliest of heroes. He had not been a member of the active roster before Saturday, when he was signed off the practice squad to add depth to the secondary.

More:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2011-09-11/jet-cowboys/50364226/1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 02:38 am
Secondary is a reference to the defensive team's backfield--those players who are farther back from the line where the two teams face one another, and whose purpose is to defend against the pass, to defend against the ball being thrown down field. Formally speaking, they are known as the defensive secondary.
oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 03:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Secondary is a reference to the defensive team's backfield--those players who are farther back from the line where the two teams face one another, and whose purpose is to defend against the pass, to defend against the ball being thrown down field. Formally speaking, they are known as the defensive secondary.

So "add depth " = "add weight"?
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 03:17 am
@oristarA,
No, it means to add skill. Defensive linemen on a National Football League team are commonly over six feet tall, and commonly weigh well over 250 pounds. Even in the defensive secondary, the safeties and the defensive backs are large, heavy men in comparison to the general population, although they will certainly be smaller than the defensive linemen. A man who is five foot seven inches tall and weighs 160 pounds can hardly be said to add weight to such a group. I don't know the player referred to, but i suspect, because of the comment, that he is fast and agile, and skillful at defending against the forward pass (the other team throwing the ball), and so his skill "adds depth" in the sense of making the defensive secondary more effective.
oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 06:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, it means to add skill. Defensive linemen on a National Football League team are commonly over six feet tall, and commonly weigh well over 250 pounds. Even in the defensive secondary, the safeties and the defensive backs are large, heavy men in comparison to the general population, although they will certainly be smaller than the defensive linemen. A man who is five foot seven inches tall and weighs 160 pounds can hardly be said to add weight to such a group. I don't know the player referred to, but i suspect, because of the comment, that he is fast and agile, and skillful at defending against the forward pass (the other team throwing the ball), and so his skill "adds depth" in the sense of making the defensive secondary more effective.

Cool.

Thanks
0 Replies