appearance maker = ?

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 09:09 pm

Context:

Alexander Mark David "Alex" Oxlade-Chamberlain (born 15 August 1993) is an English footballer who plays for Arsenal as a winger.

Born in Portsmouth, Hampshire, Oxlade-Chamberlain joined the Southampton Academy at the age of seven and made his professional debut in 2010. On 2 March 2010, he made his first team debut for Southampton, at 16 years 199 days, coming off from the bench in a 5–0 victory over Huddersfield Town[2] and became the club's second youngest ever appearance maker behind future Arsenal team-mate Theo Walcott.[3] Oxlade-Chamberlain appeared as an 82nd minute substitute for Jason Puncheon on 8 May 2010 in the final game of the season against Southend United.[4] At the beginning of the 2010–11 season, Oxlade-Chamberlain made his first competitive start on 10 August against Bournemouth in the first round of the League Cup. During the match he scored the second goal of Southampton's 2–0 victory, it was his first senior goal.[5]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 487 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 09:13 pm
We will probably want to wait for someone who is familiar with the premier league--however, i suggest that it means someone who routinely appears, i.e., who plays in a game.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 10:08 pm
I wonder if the "appearance maker " refers to the winner in his debut (one who appears for the first time before the public and wins his game).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 05:10 am
Well, one speaks of someone making an appearance, and that's what i've assumed is the meaning here. As i said, this looks like the argot of premier league football, so we'd really need to hear from someone familiar with that supremely boring activity.
contrex

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 07:26 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
this looks like the argot of premier league football

It does appear to be, and also of the even more boring game of Rugby.

I think an appearance is when a person was listed for a game either to play or as a reserve. An expert might be able to confirm this.

The club's [Real Madrid] record appearance maker was Raúl, who had made 741 appearances from 1994 to 2010; the club's record goalscorer is also Raúl.

Ryan Giggs, Manchester United's record appearance maker

Chelsea's highest appearance-maker is ex-captain Ron Harris

Chelsea's highest appearance-maker is ex-captain Ron 'Chopper' Harris, who played in 795 games

Joe Cole is the 7th all time European game appearance maker

Jamie Carragher has set his sights on becoming Liverpool's second highest appearance-maker by the end of next season

Gareth Thomas, Wales' all-time leading rugby union appearance maker revealed he was gay in December 2009 following the breakdown of his marriage. Thomas, who now plays rugby league for Crusaders, has since become a leading voice in encouraging others to come out. A movie is to be made of his life, with Hollywood star Mickey Rourke playing him.

I expect Ron Harris is quite popular with the ladies...

0 Replies