My foot

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 12:54 pm
Does "my foot" mean "I don't believe it"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 719 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:12 pm
Can you provide some context for this, oristarA?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:24 pm
In the contexts in which I have heard that phrase used it has meant one of three things,"I don't belive it", "I will not accept it" or "I will not do it". As a generalization the phrase indicate the rejection of a statement by someone else
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:32 pm
Hey, I got this phrase in a dictionary, and there was no context for it, with a translation into non-English language tho.

Another little qu:

now thats more like it

Does it mean: "now, that's it, almost the same"?

TIA
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 02:43 am
No, Oristar, that's more like doesn't mean that's almost the same. It means closer to what was intended. Or better than a previous attempt.

You've never ridden a horse. You're having your first lesson. You are given a boost to get up on the horse. Instead of landing in the saddle, you go up over the horse and fall on the ground on the other side of the horse. After everyone around you stops laughing, you get up and try again. The second time, you land in the saddle. The guy who gives you the boost says, "Now, that's more like it."

Not an easy expression to explain. I hope this helps.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 03:11 am
It's a way of deflecting the shock of a curse-word by changing it to something milder (and not even remotely offensive).

Politer people would say 'darn' instead of 'damn', 'gol-durned' for 'goddam', and 'my foot' for 'my ass".
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 03:15 am
Reread your first post. Yes, it is intended to convey a sense that the listener does not believe what has been said. For example:

"Michael Jackson says he's innocent".

"Innocent! My ass/foot!"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 03:28 am
Roberta has given me a clear explanation while Mr Stillwater made it perfectly fit to the context from which I got confused.
Thank you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:22 pm
In the expression "That's more like it", the "it" referred to is understood as "the right way to do it" or "the way I prefer".
0 Replies