14
   

School is having "freedom day" to discuss 9/11

 
 
JTT
 
  2  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 01:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
"People should be concentrating more on the many more thousands of people who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq...in fact they should feel shame!"


A family of six, save for the mother, is slaughtered. She gathers up all her dead husband's weapons, drives across town and massacres 2000 because someone told her the perpetrators of the crime lived in that area of the city.

Not content with that, because she has been given new "evidence", she drives to a separate city and takes out another 2000 or so.

Of course, Finn, we all agree that she should feel no shame. In fact, she and all her relatives and friends should gather on the anniversary date and remember the victims.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 01:46 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
"People should be concentrating more on the many more thousands of people who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq...in fact they should feel shame!"
JTT wrote:
A family of six, save for the mother, is slaughtered. She gathers up all her dead husband's weapons, drives across town and massacres 2000 because someone told her the perpetrators of the crime lived in that area of the city.

Not content with that, because she has been given new "evidence",
she drives to a separate city and takes out another 2000 or so.

Of course, Finn, we all agree that she should feel no shame.
In fact, she and all her relatives and friends should gather on the anniversary date and remember the victims.
WHICH woman did that?????

HOW did she accomplish that ?





David
chai2
 
  0  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 01:56 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

chai2 wrote:
So where were you when I was saying this on TTH's thread?

Dunno... I don't recall having seen that thread. Do you have a link?


Here it is.
It was great, I think I got called a baby raper at some point.

http://able2know.org/topic/176937-1
JTT
 
  2  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 01:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Jesus, you are thick, Om.
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 02:26 pm
@chai2,
Oh, that one. Yeah, I read the first page and figured my thoughts were adequately represented.... I didn't go back after that.
0 Replies
 
JTT
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 02:31 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I think I got called a baby raper at some point.


So, that's actually not true then? Smile
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:46 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Why does it bother you so that not everyone thinks the same as you?


I don't know, why does it bother you?
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:50 pm
@DrewDad,
It's so clear by the many posts you two have made in this forum, that you don't care in the least whether or not everyone thinks like you.

Keep telling yourselves that but your hypocrisy shines like a neon sign.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:19 pm
@JTT,
Just promise that u will never agree with me; ( it'd be embarrassing ).
That 's all I ask of u.





David
JTT
 
  2  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 05:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Just promise that u will never agree with me; ( it'd be embarrassing ).


That's just as dumb as the majority of your comments, Dave.

Of course I'd never agree to something that stupid. There have been occasions, a paltry few, where you have said something that made sense.

Who'd you say you had take your mensa entrance exam?
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 06:01 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Just promise that u will never agree with me; ( it'd be embarrassing ).
JTT wrote:
That's just as dumb as the majority of your comments, Dave.
Your disapproval reassures me.
Your support 'd be an insult.





David
GracieGirl
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:35 pm
Freedom day? Why's it called that? 9/11 has nothing to do with freedom right? Sounds like slavery or something.

Ok guys, don't freak out, but I think it would've been nice if my school did something to remember 9/11. All we really did was have a moment of silence (supposedly, a few kids were still chatting away). it would have been cool if we couldve had an assembly and talked about it, I think. I've looked it up now, but before I didnt know much about 9/11 (I was only 3 when it happened), just that planes had crashed into the the Towers. I didn't know about terrorist and I didnt know that the planes were hijacked and everything. I mean, there were normal, everyday people, maybe even kids on those planes, right? And like, thousands in the buildings. It's crazy. It kinda sucks that it happened 10 years ago and Im just realizing how important that day was and how many people were hurt. What's wrong with talking about it at school? It was a important day.

One of my teachers showed us pictures and a few video clips from Google and she talked about it some (she only showed kids who wanted to see it but she talked about it with all of us) . It was really, really sad and a few kids (including me) started crying by the time we were done but I was glad I got to see it in a weird way. I have to be honest though, it sure didnt help my fear of flying. Im definitely NOT going to Canada next summer. Wink

I feel bad for the families. Think about it, if someone in your family died because of 9/11, wouldnt it be great to know that everybody in the country including kids in school were sort of honoring your family member by talking about it and remembering it and everything? I think that's pretty amazing.

JTT
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
WHICH woman did that?????

HOW did she accomplish that ?


Go back and review the posts that precipitated these comments of yours - or better yet - have someone explain them to you and then maybe, just maybe, we can talk.
0 Replies
 
JTT
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 08:22 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
Freedom day? Why's it called that? 9/11 has nothing to do with freedom right? Sounds like slavery or something.


Gracie, you can't even begin to imagine how complicated this whole 9-11 affair is.

I think that your teacher did the right thing by allowing students the choice of seeing these terrible events.

Luckily, seat occupancy on all four flights was at fairly low levels so not as many people were killed as if the flights had been later in the day.

Let me give you an indication about how safe you are flying to Canada next summer.

Quote:
In fact, passengers boarding a plane have a 99.99 per cent chance of surviving the flight.

The International Civil Aviation Organization, or ICAO, found that in 2007 there were only 0.014 deaths for every 60 million passenger miles, and that's despite a rise in air traffic compared to the previous year.


Quote:


*A US National Safety Council study showed flying to be 22 times safer than travelling by car

*21,000 people (on average) die on the road in the US in a 6-month period. This is approximately the same amount of all commercial air travel fatalities WORLDWIDE in 40 years

*More than 3million people fly EVERY DAY.
*
A Boeing aircraft takes off or lands every 2 seconds somewhere in the world – all day, every day!

* Only ONE plane in 5 million crashes

http://www.flyingfear.net/articles/how-safe-is-flying-detailed-statistics.html


As for terrorists getting you on a flight or on the ground.

Quote:


*About 4,000 people die by accidental drowning every year. That's more than died on 9/11

*In another hypothetical but horrible scenario, let us assume that each week one commercial aircraft were hijacked and crashed. What are the odds that a person who goes on one trip per month would be in that plane? There are currently about 18,000 commercial flights a day, and if that person's trip has four flights associated with it, the odds against that person's being on a crashed plane are about 135,000 to 1. If there were only one hijacked plane per month, the odds would be about 540,000 to 1.

see other examples at,


http://www.anxietyandstress.com/terrorismandyou.html

GracieGirl
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:10 pm
@JTT,
Thanks JTT, really, and I actually have to go to Canada this summer whether I want to or not. My dad wants me to have a good relationship with my grandparents. Rolling Eyes

I know the statistics are good and it says that its safe but Im still gonna freak out when I get on the plane, especially with mmy dad not being with me. I cant help it. Im, just afraid. I dont like flying. Haha! And my ears pop alot.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:30 pm

There is a bright spot, while we await further results:
Ed Koch appears to think that the good guy, the far right guy, WON.

I dunno, but I must admit that he is much more keenly attuned to the political situation than I am.





David
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:33 pm

With 41% of the precincts reporting:
the bad guy, leftist, has dropped back from 49% to 48%; its a good trend. Long live Freedom!





David
0 Replies
 
JTT
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:46 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
And my ears pop alot.


There's a trick to that, Gracie. Practice first by moving your lower jaw slightly. Gradually think about pushing the movement back and up towards your ears. Soon you'll be able to pop your ears anytime you want without even moving your jaw. You'll have gained control of the small muscles inside your ears that will flex the part necessary to clear your ears.

I learned it from snorkeling. The normal way it's taught for Scuba is too troublesome and when you want to dive to 60 feet or so, you have to be able to clear quickly and repeatedly.

If you swim at all, you can practice this in the pool.

I used to love flying but after more than half a million miles I'm a little tired of it. And look, I'm still here. In all that time, there was not so much as a scare. A fair bit of rough weather but I enjoyed that rock and roll.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 11:07 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Freedom day? Why's it called that? 9/11 has nothing to do with freedom right? Sounds like slavery or something.
JTT wrote:
Gracie, you can't even begin to imagine how complicated this whole 9-11 affair is.
NONSENSE. It is very simple:
the Moslems wanna conquer the world for their religion.
On 9/11/1, thay were just striking a blow toward that goal,
trying to intimidate us. It did not work.





David
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:42 am
Update #2 -- the regular social studies teacher (not the sub) discussed things with them and sozlet said that helped a lot.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How should we improve the school system? - Discussion by alexpari1
Teachers in School - Discussion by RyanO45
School Incident - What can I do? - Question by Kyle-M
School Uniforms Get Shorter - Question by harpazo
Kid wouldn't fight, died of injuries - Discussion by gungasnake
Police questioning students at school. - Question by boomerang
Is this weird, or normal? - Question by boomerang
Public school zero tolerance policies. - Question by boomerang
10yr Old Refuses to Recite Pledge - Discussion by Diest TKO
You learned that in school!? - Question by boomerang
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/25/2022 at 07:22:05