School is having "freedom day" to discuss 9/11

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
On 9/11/1, thay were just striking a blow toward that goal,
trying to intimidate us. It did not work.

Of course it intimidated you. Asserting that you're not intimidated means nothing. Think of the ongoing expense of what they did. The red alert for every anniversary adds non-productive costs to the demand side of the economy and of a substantial order.

And they lay that cost on us without even doing anything. They created the Dep't of Homeland Security, thousands of new regulations in regard to banking, credit cards, internet and travel.

They intimidated us goodstyle and will continue to do so.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:37 am
@spendius,
David wrote:
On 9/11/1, thay were just striking a blow toward that goal,
trying to intimidate us. It did not work.
spendius wrote:
Of course it intimidated you.
Timidity (fear) is an emotion.
I felt no emotion, other than a mild desire for vengeance.
( I will admit that my girlfriend, at the time, was rattled,
tho she was about 7O miles away, at the time.)

spendius wrote:
Asserting that you're not intimidated means nothing.
It means that I don't fear the Moslems.
The successful candidate (GOP) in NY 's Congressional District 9
(my district) was vocally active in opposition
to the Moslems building a Mosque next to the World Trade Center area.
I supported his efforts.

spendius wrote:
Think of the ongoing expense of what they did.
The red alert for every anniversary adds non-productive costs
to the demand side of the economy and of a substantial order.
Being careful and being afraid r not the same thing.

spendius wrote:
And they lay that cost on us without even doing anything.
They created the Dep't of Homeland Security, thousands of new
regulations in regard to banking, credit cards, internet and travel.

They intimidated us goodstyle and will continue to do so.
Do u feel timid ??

David
DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It's so clear by the many posts you two have made in this forum, that you don't care in the least whether or not everyone thinks like you.

Keep telling yourselves that but your hypocrisy shines like a neon sign.

Riiiiight. Because coming to A2K, precisely because I like to have discussions with people who don't think like me, means that I want everyone to think like me.

Brilliant police work there, Lou.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 08:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Being careful and being afraid r not the same thing.

Don't be so ridiculous Dave. Of course they are the same thing. I bet you are afraid of farting at a salon dinner table because you are afraid of being a subject of contempt. And to such an extent that you countermand such an insistent biological urge and opportunity for the pleasure of relief.

What did the heightened alert in NYC last weekend cost? And there was no threat. Had there been a serious threat I doubt the alert would have deflected it. Now that the alert has been stood down it is almost an invitation.

Quote:
Do u feel timid ??

Pretty much yes. It's not as ridiculous as pretending you're not timid whilst sat in your rooms being guarded by the finest protections the world has ever seen and your essential needs being so meticulously and comprehensively catered for.

You're just another ******* armchair tough guy. Mickey Spillane was a piss take you know. A variation on those body building adverts about weaklings getting the sand kicked in their face. Which is a good thing because the girls who comfort the bully's victim are the best sort to shack up with.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 02:56 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You're just another ******* armchair tough guy.

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but it doesn't require much toughness to call him out on it in an annonymous internet forum; from the UK.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:27 pm
@spendius,
Nonsense.
I have jacks n spare tires in the trunks of my cars,
but I have no emotion qua flat tires, tho I know that there r risks of getting one.

I have health insurance, but I have no emotion qua getting heart attacks.

Being prepared does not require emotion.
It requires competent judgment.

David
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not claiming to be tough.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:03 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I'm not claiming to be tough.
FOR THE RECORD: I have claimed NEITHER to be "tough" nor "*******",
tho I have no objection to either.

David
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 09:30 pm
@JTT,
Oooooh! That's a pretty cool trick! I'll try it. But why do your ears pop anyway?

You've flown over half a million miles?!?! Oh god no! I'd have a heartattack! Laughing
JTT

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 10:25 am
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
But why do your ears pop anyway?

Quote:
Why do your ears pop in airplanes?
(Lansing State Journal, September 2, 1992)

Question submitted by: Pan Field
Your ears pop in air planes because the air high above the surface of Earth is less dense than air near the surface, because air near the surface has all the air above it pushing down.

Some air planes can fly so high they require oxygen masks or a pressurized cabin, so the pilot and passengers don’t pass out for lack of air. Even higher and air planes can’t fly because their wings require air to provide lift.

As you ascend in an airplane and the air pressure decreases, the air trapped in your inner ear will cause your eardrums to push outward. This expansion causes not only the discomfort you feel before your ears "pop," but also a decrease in hearing ability, because the pressure on your ears drums makes the sound harder to transmit.

Your body can equalize the pressure between your inner ear and the atmosphere by allowing some air from your inner ear to escape through the Eustachian tubes, two small channels that connect the inner ears to the throat, one on each side.

When they open, you feel the pressure release and you hear the change because it’s happening in your ear. This equalization of pressure is the "pop."

On the way down from an air plane flight, the air pressure increases, while your inner ear is still at the lower pressure it has adjusted to. Now, the extra pressure pushes the eardrums inward.

Eventually, the pressure will equalize again, but many people don’t wait, they just hold their nose closed, close their mouth and blow. Because the air from their lungs has nowhere to go, it is forced into the inner ear through the Eustachian tubes, "popping" their ears.

This effect can happen to people driving through the mountainous areas or riding elevators in tall buildings, but it is more noticeable on airplanes because the altitude changes quickly and they fly higher than buildings or mountains.

T. McWilliams and Dr. J. Bass contributed to this report

http://www.pa.msu.edu/sciencet/ask_st/090292.html
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 08:13 pm
@JTT,
Oh Thanks! Mr. Green

Hey, one more question. Smile

Wouldn't holding your nose, closing your mouth and blowing work faster than the jaw thing?
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 08:28 am
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
Wouldn't holding your nose, closing your mouth and blowing work faster than the jaw thing?

Not when you become adept at doing it, Gracie. I can "clear" 5 times before I could get my fingers up to hold my nose.

Plus, when you someday go for the world record free dive/breath holding for women, you'll want to be able to do this.

Quote:

Free Diving - Tanya Streeter

Mermaids may not be real but it certainly seems that Tanya Streeter is part fish, part human. How else can you explain Tanya's ability to dive more than 350 feet (110m) underwater with just a single breath? She truly is a freak of nature.
Tanya grew up in the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean so she's always felt comfortable around water. When she was a kid she was always known as the girl who could duck-dive for the deepest sea shells - but she never figured she would be able to dive deeper than anyone else in the world.

She only learned exactly how good a diver she was in 1997 when she attended an introductory class on free-diving with a couple of guy friends. Tanya was the only female in the class and no one wanted to dive with her at first because she was a girl. But she surprised her teachers and everyone else in the class when they saw how long Tanya was able to stay underwater. Her teachers immediately offered to coach her and within months Tanya was breaking all kinds of world records.

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1028-free-diving-tanya-streeter
0 Replies