value-charged = full of value?

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:22 pm

Context:

Most troubling was the idea that evolution wasn't a good fit for a report on public attitudes and knowledge on science. One board member expressed a desire that "indicators could be developed that were not as value-charged as evolution." Another member said questions about evolution and the Big Bang were "flawed indicators of scientific knowledge because responses conflated knowledge and beliefs." I was quoted saying, "Discussing American science literacy without mentioning evolution is intellectual malpractice" that "downplays the controversy" over evolution education.

More
http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/2011/07/evolution_literacy_still_on_th.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:45 pm
Yes.

However, you should be aware that this means value as in a cultural or political value, specifically in this case the objection to the theory of evolution on the part of religious fundamentalists, for whom the rejection of evolution is an important part of their beliefs. This does not mean value in the sense of the monetary or instisic worth of an object or an idea.
oristarA

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 06:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes.

However, you should be aware that this means value as in a cultural or political value, specifically in this case the objection to the theory of evolution on the part of religious fundamentalists, for whom the rejection of evolution is an important part of their beliefs. This does not mean value in the sense of the monetary or instisic worth of an object or an idea.

Thanks.

What is "instisic worth?"
Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 06:14 pm
@oristarA,
in·trin·sic
   
adjective

belonging to a thing by its very nature: the intrinsic value of a gold ring.

Intrinsic worth is the value something has just for being what it is. So, for example, gold has intrinsic value--people rate its value highly because it is gold. Paper money, however, only has a value based on the relative health of the economy of the country which issues the money. Fluctuations of the value of paper money are dependent upon the health of that economy--fluctuations in the value of gold are based upon the relative value of the money you're using to attempt to buy it. In a healthy economy, in a productive nation, the value of the currency issued by the government will be high--but if that economy slows down, suffers a recession, the value of the currency will drop, people are less likely to buy that currency because it's value is now rated low. The price of gold in that currency will then rise, because gold has intrinsic value, and you have to spend enough money to get it. If your money is not highly valued, you'll need more of it to buy the gold.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 06:15 pm
@oristarA,
Oops . . . i see the problem. That was a typographical error on my part. I meant to write "intrinsic."
oristarA

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 10:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Oops . . . i see the problem. That was a typographical error on my part. I meant to write "intrinsic."

That's it. Five hits of google support your typo. Wink

Intrinsic worth, the phrase can be well understood.
Thank you.
0 Replies