make close calls =?

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:53 am

Context:

Scholars in the behavioral sciences, including psychology and animal behavior, may be especially prone to bias. They often make close calls about data that are open to many interpretations…….

………. Two factors make combating confirmation bias an uphill battle. For one, data show that eminent scientists tend to be more arrogant and confident than other scientists. As a consequence, they may be especially vulnerable to confirmation bias and to wrong-headed conclusions, unless they are perpetually vigilant. Second, the mounting pressure on scholars to conduct single-hypothesis-driven research programs supported by huge federal grants is a recipe for trouble. Many scientists are highly motivated to disregard or selectively reinterpret negative results that could doom their careers.

More:

http://ktwop.wordpress.com/2011/01/02/hausergate-in-scientific-misconduct-confirmation-bias-or-fudging-data-are-equally-corrupt/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 543 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:05 pm
@oristarA,
I'm not familiar with the manner in which 'make close calls' has been used here, Ori.

Having said that, I would say it means that they make specific judgments about data that is too open ended.
oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:30 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I'm not familiar with the manner in which 'make close calls' has been used here, Ori.

Having said that, I would say it means that they make specific judgments about data that is too open ended.

Thank you JTT.

Should "data that is too open ended" be "data that are too open ended?'
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:58 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Should "data that is too open ended" be "data that are too open ended?'

This has been the pedantic, [in the worst possible sense of the word] viewpoint ie. that 'data' is a plural because it is a plural in Latin; so it should be the same for English. As I've pointed out that is complete nonsense because it's only followed for a few select words from a couple of select languages.

If this was an actual rule governing borrowed words, it would apply to all the borrowed words that have come into English from all languages. It most certainly does not!

You'll see 'data' as a plural most often in scientific/academic papers and in other print sources because it is often mandated by style manuals and the like with no thought given to how English actually works.

++++++++++++++++++++
M-W:

Usage Discussion of DATA

Data leads a life of its own quite independent of datum, of which it was originally the plural. It occurs in two constructions: as a plural noun (like earnings), taking a plural verb and plural modifiers (as these, many, a few) but not cardinal numbers, and serving as a referent for plural pronouns (as they, them); and as an abstract mass noun (like information), taking a singular verb and singular modifiers (as this, much, little), and being referred to by a singular pronoun (it). Both constructions are standard. The plural construction is more common in print, evidently because the house style of several publishers mandates it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/data
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AHD says, "The plural usage is still common, ... But more often scientists and researchers think of data as a singular mass entity like information, and most people now follow this in general usage.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/data
oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:38 pm
@JTT,
Good point, JTT.
0 Replies