unretracted =?

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:00 am
My dics fail to offer relative info.

Context:

Biologic Plausibility

Compared with the dry external skin surface, the inner mucosa of the foreskin has less keratinization (deposition of fibrous protein), a higher density of target cells for HIV infection (Langerhans cells), and is more susceptible to HIV infection than other penile tissue in laboratory studies [2]. The foreskin may also have greater susceptibility to traumatic epithelial disruptions (tears) during intercourse, providing a portal of entry for pathogens, including HIV [3]. In addition, the microenvironment in the preputial sac between the unretracted foreskin and the glans penis may be conducive to viral survival [1]. Finally, the higher rates of sexually transmitted genital ulcerative disease, such as syphilis, observed in uncircumcised men may also increase susceptibility to HIV infection [4].

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,179 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 05:06 am
When a man's penis is not in use sexually, the foreskin covers the glans area on the underside of the penis. In such a position, the foreskin is said to be "unretracted," that is, is still covers the "head" of the penis.

I'd draw you a picture, but i don't think the moderators would allow that.
oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

When a man's penis is not in use sexually, the foreskin covers the glans area on the underside of the penis. In such a position, the foreskin is said to be "unretracted," that is, is still covers the "head" of the penis.

I'd draw you a picture, but i don't think the moderators would allow that.

Got it. Thanks.
But I don't get the meaning of the word "underside" very well. Is the root area of penis called upperside (of penis)?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:11 am
This is going to be more information than i really cared to give. Imagine a man standing with his penis semi-erect. The part he can see by looking down is the upper side, the part which he cannot see is the underside. The glans is the area of the penis on the underside immediately below the head of the penis. I'm not going to link and image here, but i suggest you put "penis+physiology" in a search window, and then click on images.
oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This is going to be more information than i really cared to give. Imagine a man standing with his penis semi-erect. The part he can see by looking down is the upper side, the part which he cannot see is the underside. The glans is the area of the penis on the underside immediately below the head of the penis. I'm not going to link and image here, but i suggest you put "penis+physiology" in a search window, and then click on images.

Still confused because my dictionary tells me that "glans" is "the head of the penis." See the pic in the link below:

http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/uploads/VMC/DiseaseImages/2997_penis_anatomy2b_450low.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:23 am
That's not what i recall from university pysiology. But far be it from me to contradict your dictionary. I've already posted far more than i ever would have wanted on this topic. This goes far beyond explaining unretracted in context.
oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's not what i recall from university pysiology. But far be it from me to contradict your dictionary. I've already posted far more than i ever would have wanted on this topic. This goes far beyond explaining unretracted in context.

Let's call it a day, then.

Thanks.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:50 am
the foreskin covers both top and bottom (and sides) of the glans, not just the bottom, or most of it. Unless the man is circumcised, in which case the foreskin is not there at all.
0 Replies