The Meat You Eat - Do you know what you are eating?

caprice

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:25 pm
For the past two weeks I've been watching "The Nature of Things" on the CBC. Both episodes have discussed the dangers of "factory farming" or as the show referred to it, corporate agriculture.

I knew of its existence, but what I didn't know was how widespread it is, how dangerous to the ecosystem it is and just how unhealthy it is. During last night's show, they stated that up to 90% of all antibiotics in North America (or was it just the USA?) are given prophylactically to factory farm animals. Ninety per cent! I would have thought most were used in the treatment of bacterial infections for both humans and animals. But this is not the case. As the show also mentioned, that means conditions are so bad at factory farms, they are giving antibiotics to animals to prevent disease. A sick animal in a factory farm would spread its illness like wildfire in those cramped and crowded conditions.

There has been a public outcry about genetically engineered foods, but I don't recall hearing any protests over the antibiotics and other chemicals being fed to animals. I wonder if the public realizes that this blatant misuse of antibiotics are likely one of the biggest contributing causes of antibiotic resistant bacteria. It hasn't even been 50 years since many of these antibiotics were discovered and today there are bacterial organisms that are resistant against all antibiotics. I recall a professor telling my class that in the 1970's the medical community thought bacterial diseases were eradicated because of the success of antibiotics. But now, due to the abuse, scientists are scrambling to discover new effective antibiotics to overcome those microorganisms that have become resistant to the medicines we currently use. You can't help but wonder how much of an impact antibiotics fed to farm animals has had on this.

For more, see the following web site.
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/anti_resist.html

As for some of the other negative impacts factoring farming have had on food safety, property value, human health, animal health and the ecosystem, check out the following web site. It's eye opening to read some of these facts.
http://www.factoryfarm.org/whatis/1.php

Think about it the next time you are buying a burger at your favourite fast food place. It likely comes from a factory farm animal. One raised in inhumane conditions and given chemicals and food that would never be given to an animal raised under ideal circumstances.

As one of the organic merchants stated on "The Nature of Things", the best way to protest is with your pocketbook -- buy organic. I know I'm having second thoughts about my future food purchases.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:57 pm
The days of feeding antibiotics to livestock are numbered. Mcdonalds has recently forced all their meat suppliers to stop doing it and they are one of the biggest customers on the planet. People are working on replacements made from naturally occuring proteins and enzymes. Intensive farming HAS to go on because there can be no alternative. Imagine how much extra land would need to be cleared for all the livestock in the world to be kept free range! Organic farming has it's own problems see here for more.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:15 pm
I've been concerned the last few weeks when I found some ground beef in my vegetable soup; with a couple pieces of sausage in my red beans and rice; and I accidentally forgot and had a Nighthawk frozen dinner a few days ago.

But it could've been worse...

Anybody for a brain sandwich?

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040115/capt.indp10701152008.brain_sandwiches_indp107.jpg

Quote:
Fear of mad cow disease hasn't kept Cecelia Coan from eating her beloved deep-fried cow brain sandwiches.

She's more concerned about what the cholesterol will do to her heart than suffering the brain-wasting disease found in a cow in Washington state.

"I think I'll have hardening of the arteries before I have mad cow disease," said Cecelia Coan, 40, picking up a brain sandwich to go at the Hilltop Inn during her lunch hour. "This is better than snail, better than sushi, better than a lot of different delicacies."

The brains, battered with egg, seasoning and flour, puff up when cooked. They are served hot, heaping outside the bun.

Some people just won't ever mind what they eat
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:21 pm
Cows are given the same antibiotics, in many cases to gain weigh quickly and cross contaminating the water chain in the process.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:19 am
PDiddie

If I wasn't already a non-meat eater that image alone (not to mention the description) would make me stop eating meat.

I know it's a psychological thing...that if I did eat meat, why not eat brains? They are animal flesh after all. But I resign myself to the fact that various things do impact my psyche and are not always logical.

Still, anyone looking at that picture has to admit it looks....repulsive.

*gag*
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:25 am
Ceili

Yes, that was mentioned in the show as well, I believe. Unless I read it somewhere. (They say the memory is the second thing to go! I forgot what the first is. Very Happy ) And I'm sure you're aware of the dramatic effects that come with contaminated water.

I am just so bothered by what the pursuit of profit is doing to our world and ourselves. Makes me want to get into politics so I can change things! Though that would never happen. Wink

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on Klein. Or should I even open that can of worms? Exclamation
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:29 am
Adrian

True, although I think I would still prefer my food without artificially added chemicals.

The world can never be perfect. I suppose the answer to this particular dilemma would be to test the corn going to market. It would add to the costs, certainly, but it seems there are always going to be compromises made of one kind or another. I guess one can always go without cornbread and corn tortillas! Wink
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:16 am
http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/chowmein.html

Sorry, had to add this to the convo!
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:26 am
Quote:
Adrian

True, although I think I would still prefer my food without artificially added chemicals.

Easy solution, grow your own food.

If you don't like that idea then you'll have to come up with a way for farmers to not NEED chemicals. That means organic or GM.

Organic farming is a nice idea but it would be impossible. We would need billions of extra livestock just to provide the manure needed. Where would these livestock be housed if we can't use intensive farming?

GM I don't even want to get started on, it needs it's own thread.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 02:11 am
Adrian

I don't agree with factory farming. I can't see it changing overnight, but I can see it changing. I think if everyone in the western world could see where our choices are taking us, they would want the change and it would happen.

Unfortunately too many people are too caught up in their own lives and such to have concern for the future.

Maybe I'm too much an idealist, but I just don't see the disbanding of factory farming as impossible as you do.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 02:17 am
stand up for pessimism

That was just bad! *L* I have heard the audio portion of that site before.

That reminds me of a chinese restaurant in Edmonton that was recently shut down when canine carcasses were discovered in the freezer.

http://calgary.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ca_carcasses20031105

The carcasses were ultimately identified as coyote.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/11/11/Consumers/coyote_meat031111

Can you believe the last paragraph from the above link???
Eeeeep!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:25 am
I raise animals free range and fed with no chemicals (although im not organic). i use rock fertilizers and grass, and corn from a specific mill.
Our market is quite sustainable and profitable.
going the extra step to be totally organic means that Id have to stop using limited chemicals for animal treatment. I cannot see using almost "witchcraft' methods to treat animals whove hurt themselves or have gotten too much feed and developed enterotoxemia.
the dirty little secret about organic is that they cannot successfully treat animals from infections and wind up destroying more than they should.
Full organic farming is analagous to Christian SCience, you dont avail yourself of new medicines . I worm my flock and herd with 2 kinds of antihelminths, this keeps them thrifty and fit. then we use roundup to control invasive weeds. Other than that, we use no chemicals, and we disclose all that information with our market butcher. We have a brochure to help educate our consumers about what chemicals we do use and why.
i agree that intensive farming is the way of agriculture gone terribly wrong. yet, because we have gobbled up all the productive farmlands with housing developments, the remaining open pasture is even more precious. Confinemet hog farming is especially worriesome to me because we have so many new ones located in exceptional quality watersheds and lagoon leaks have been a problem all along the eastern uS

I talkwith a lot of Brits and french farmers and they , for the most part, have their heads in the sand. The Brits have mad cow as an endemic problem with a few hundred cases a year. They dont think that there are any environmental problems associated with their ag. The Canadians are like the US except they believe more in organic ways to treat animal disease (not all of them of course, just a vocal bunch).
I believe in no added dosing of animals as preventitive medicine because, as said above, all that does is cause the evolution of resistant strains of pathogens
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:58 pm
Intensive pig/swine operations are the scariest farm trend yet. In canada, most of these productions are imported from Holland.
Scientists believe that the Walkerton case, several people died and hundred fell ill from e-coli in the unwatched treated water system, will become every more present because of these farming practices.

Ralph Klein, is the premiere of alberta. He is a brash ex-reporter. I'm not his biggest fan, but he has done many good things for the province and he has kept the western alienation thing in the forefront. It remains to be seen whether or not the new PM Paul Martin will keep promises made in regards to albertan concerns and if these two men, political adversaries will mend previous problems.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:00 pm
Ceili

I keep hearing people saying how much Klein has done for the province, but I just don't see it. Perhaps that was true at one point, but I think his actions are now detrimental. Education and health care are in dire straits. And with the exception of liquor sales, it seems that deregulation has resulted in poorer services with higher costs to Alberta residents. His lack of attendance in the Legislative Assembly speaks volumes. As far as the western alienation issue, I think he does more posturing than follow through with actual results. I think it's time for Ralph to go. I just hope I'm still here when the next election rolls around so I can cast my vote!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:36 pm
I have never voted for his party. But I wouldn't paint such a dire picture. His deregulation plan on energy, power, gas sucks.
As far as medicine, I think he's doing the same thing to education. Cut until is bleeds, nearly to death, and then rebuild. He has admitted he had no idea what the consequences would be when he start his health cut backs 10 years ago, modeled on the Kiwi example.
I think it has worked on many levels, his draconian measures have hurt but in the long run, I think we have a better system for it. Schools are getting a huge bump in revenue. The education cuts have provided another paradigm that now has schools in edmonton being used as model for school districts across n. america and japan.
Both my kids are in overpopulated classes, much of the equipement in the schools has been bought with monies raised by parents through gambling revenue. However, I still think, our schools do us a great service and wonderful job.
0 Replies