PEOPLE WHO SERVE A "HIGHER" CAUSE: YOU ARE HYPOCRITES FOR YOUR BELIEFS.

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 12:48 pm
If its a higher cause, who are YOU to understand it, or decide how to bring about it?

hamilton

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:10 pm
@hamilton,
to add to the OP, "why do you do so? why do you fool yourself like this?"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:13 pm
@hamilton,
Can you define "higher cause"?
hamilton

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:14 pm
@sozobe,
lets see...
something along the lines of serving humanity, god, anything you dont REALLY understand.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:30 pm
@hamilton,
...so I suppose you believe we should sit down and do nothing while entropy increases...(when it gets into your stomach we will see what you think then)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:36 pm
@hamilton,
I don't think the people who would say they're serving a higher cause would say they don't really understand it, though.

I see nothing wrong with serving humanity. It can be done in an obnoxious or counterproductive way, but I don't think the concept is inherently flawed.

Even serving god can be fine. Really depends on the execution IMO. (Mother Theresa did some wonderful things in the name of God.)
hamilton

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:43 pm
@sozobe,
the thing that baffles me about these people is that they think that what they do, what end they work towards is what they consider "best" for that cause.
(the crusades did terrible things, as well)
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:46 pm
@hamilton,
Quote:
they think that what they do, what end they work towards is what they consider "best" for that cause.

Well... yes?

Isn't that kind of axiomatic? (I have a cause. I want that cause to succeed. What is the best thing to do to help that cause succeed?)

You seem to be arguing against something a couple of levels down from what you've stated.

You still aren't presenting any argument that someone who has a cause is inherently hypocritical.

You just seem to be saying that sometimes causes can go awry.

Definitely, but also not very controversial.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:47 pm
@hamilton,
...so that does n´t really addresses the issue does it ? what is the alternative when we cannot be certain on the outcome of our actions ?
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:59 pm
@sozobe,
but what gives them that right to make the decision that effect others?
(this isnt my whole arguement i have to go but will be back soon to finish)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 02:01 pm
@hamilton,
...the power to do it !
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 02:07 pm
@hamilton,
Well, we all make decisions that affect others all of the time.

My decision to post on this website affects others.

Your decision to post here affects others.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 04:39 pm
@hamilton,
Quote:
but what gives them that right to make the decision that effect others?
(this isnt my whole arguement i have to go but will be back soon to finish)
I would also have thought that obvious in :
-governments (politicians have causes),
- media's slant they put on things to sell papers (editors have causes),
-a person ignoring road rules that result in inconvenience to another driver (the driver has a cause),
-a boss deciding whether or not to give an employee a pay rise (the boss has a cause),
-a boss telling an employee what to do (the boss has a cause),
etc.

What about two people walking towards each other (both looking at each other) on a narrow footpath - who gives way (and hops off the footpath)?

Now if you think that's hardly comparable to what you want to talke about - the person that stays on the footpath has the greater belief to his/her right to stay on the footpath...while the one that hops off has the lesser belief.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 04:47 pm
Quote:
PEOPLE WHO SERVE A "HIGHER" CAUSE:
YOU ARE HYPOCRITES FOR YOUR BELIEFS
Baloney! I 'm no hypocrit.
My chosen higher cause is undoing liberalism
and limiting taxation only to the first half million dollars of annual income,
plus the nullificiation of any gun control laws.
I believe in that with the fullest sincerity.

David
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 04:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
foolest what ?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:00 pm
@sozobe,
Why argue with a fool?
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 07:15 pm
@kuvasz,
Well I'm trying to figure out if he's a fool or if there is some interesting idea in there that he's having a hard time expressing.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:32 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

If its a higher cause, who are YOU to understand it, or decide how to bring about it?

What do you have against people who try to do something they believe to be good for others?
If I want to do something to help provide food shipments for starving people (just as an example) what is it I have to "understand" about starvation or malnutrition in order to do my thing?

You seem to be bitter about something, hamilton, something I don't understand. Would you care to comment on what, specifically, prompted this question?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 09:00 pm
@hamilton,
I think you misunderstand what most people mean when they talk about serving a Higher Cause.

In most instances the people who use this phrase mean they are serving a cause that is larger or more important than their personal agenda; not that they are serving a cause that is beyond their comprehension.

Having said this, there are plenty of people who claim to serve a higer cause who are hypocrites, charlatans and smug a-holes, but this is hardly the general rule.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
...true, but similarly often many people reason about an higher more abstract cause like God precisely to mud the waters in which they thrive so well...so it can fairly be taken in the OP sense.