xv pronounced as the fifteenth here?

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:03 am

Context:

Nowell Codex

First page of Beowulf, contained in the damaged Nowell Codex.Cotton Vitellius A. xv is one of the four major Anglo-Saxon literature codices. It is most famous as the manuscript containing the unique copy of the epic poem Beowulf; in addition to this it contains a fragment of The Life of Saint Christopher, and the more complete texts Letters of Alexander to Aristotle, Wonders of the East and Judith. Due to the fame of Beowulf, it is also sometimes known simply as the Beowulf manuscript. The manuscript is located within the British Library with the rest of the Cotton collection.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 967 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:15 am
No, i don't think so. I'd say it simply reads as fifteen, meaning that it is document number 15 in that codex. Codex is used by scholars to designate an ancient text. If the sheets of the text are not bound together in the form of a book, or if they are in the form of a scroll, it is necessary to number them in order to preserve the proper order. I believe that that is what is going on here.
oristarA

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:00 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:57 pm
Agree with Setanta. The xv here is similar to a page number in a book. So -- fifteen, not fifteenth.
oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 12:31 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Agree with Setanta. The xv here is similar to a page number in a book. So -- fifteen, not fifteenth.

But Cotton Vitellius A. sounds like a man's name.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 03:08 am
@oristarA,
So what?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 08:17 pm
@oristarA,
Since you seem to be stuudying the hoary old epic Beowulf as we see from another thread, it seems you are referring to the original manuscript which is known as Cotten Vitelius A. xv. This is strictly from memory but, if memory serves, the name Cotton Vitelius does not actually refer to a man but, rather, to a 'bust' (i.e. statue) of a man named Cotton Vitelius. The manuscript was discovered in a poorly-catalgued library under this statue and was, thus, identified by the man's name, the shelf on which the codex rested and the sheaf or page number. Again, this is from memory, but it's easy enoughto look up in Vikipedia probably.
0 Replies