What is the word for Chinese PEI HUO?

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:06 am
Could anybody tell me what is the English word for Chinese Pei4 Huo4?
----i.e. if one person's cargos are not enough for 1 truck, so he turns to a transportation company for help, where several small cargos could combine together for 1 truck. Then the fees are relatively lowered.
Is it called bulk cargo?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,211 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:18 pm
bulk shipping
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 01:21 pm
In the road transport industry, a word often used in both British and US English is "groupage", and a phrase (more US than British) "freight consolidation". Groupage or freight consolidation is the consolidation of various goods from different consignors into one full load. Typically pickups will be made by smaller vehicles, 7.5-tonne rigids or vans and then taken to a central hub to be ‘grouped’. Air and sea freight tend to use the term load consolidation.

No, Punkey, bulk shipping is something else. It is the movement of bulk cargo. Bulk cargo is commodity cargo that is transported unpackaged in large quantities. This cargo is usually dropped or poured, with a spout or shovel bucket, as a liquid or as a mass of relatively small solids (e.g. grain, coal), into a bulk carrier ship's hold, railroad car, or tanker truck/trailer/semi-trailer body.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 06:50 am
Perhaps "combined shipping.'

When I sold gourmet food products, the customer could buy 2 cases of prepackaged cookies or by bulk - unwrapped cookies only. So, yes, you are correct about that the term when talking about what is IN the boxes.

But for his purposes, yes, using 'group, ' 'combined 'or 'bulk' would be most understood.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 07:09 am
@littlebee01cn,
In the North American market, this is called freight consolidation.

The person/company wanting to arrange shipping of less than a full load would use a freight consolidator.
0 Replies