Manufacturing Confusion

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:22 am
Thomas wrote:
If your economic theory is right, we should expect that poor people are doing worse in countries with a high degree of economic freedom. They should either be poorer, or at least their share of the national income should be lower. The actual findings contradict this prediction: Poor people in economically free countries are consistently richer than in less free ones, and their share of the national income is about the same regardless of economic freedom. (see page 21 of this PDF document.) In other words, the cake is larger in economically free countries, and the poor people's share of the cake is about the same as in less free ones.

Surely, Thomas, you're smart enough to recognize that this study runs a very serious risk of falling into a cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. The notion that levels of "economic freedom" and poverty correlate, and that, therefore, a lack of economic freedom causes poverty, is simply not substantiated.

For instance, most of the countries at the bottom of the index would be considered "third world countries" (or former "second world" countries like Romania). Now, we have to ask: do they lack economic freedom because they're third world countries, or are they third world countries because they lack economic freedom? The study assumes that latter, but that is merely an unsupported conclusion.

Without more evidence, this study is hardly persuasive.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:37 am
Joe - Do we really need to prove causation to make Thomas' point? Isn't it enough to show that the two are related as indicated by the report to conclude that you are likely to find people less impoverished in societies with greater economic freedom?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:01 am
Scrat wrote:
Joe - Do we really need to prove causation to make Thomas' point? Isn't it enough to show that the two are related as indicated by the report to conclude that you are likely to find people less impoverished in societies with greater economic freedom?

No, Scrat, we don't have to prove causation to conclude that we are likely to find poor people in poor countries. But then the study would be vacuous. It would be the equivalent of concluding that we are likely to find rich people at a meeting of Fortune 500 CEOs. Entirely predictable and entirely meaningless.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:21 am
Joe - Now you're twisting words. Nobody said anything about finding "poor people in poor countries". What was written was that you find more poor people (or people more impoverished) in countries with less economic freedom.

Let's try to stay on the same page, and not put words in each other's mouths, okay? Very Happy
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:11 pm
Listen, I am starting to wade in out of depth and I am starting to flounder. To say the least I am getting confused. But, all I know is that before labor laws and a minimum wage act people like my grandfather worked in the coal mines for pitifully low wages in unsafe conditions. All the rest was just to bolster my basic argument that people deserve a fair wage and one way to ensure that they get it is to have a law stating that they will get it no matter what comes up or comes down in the market place or the generosity of those doing the hiring.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:17 pm
revel - But we keep coming back to this nebulous notion of a "fair wage". Who besides me should decide for me what wage is fair for me to accept for my labor?

I don't disagree that your grandfather needed the government to step in and improve the safety and conditions under which he worked, but I do not believe it was in his best interests for the government to also tell him how much he must get paid.

Please give serious thought to this question and answer it for me:

If a minimum wage is a good thing, why not set the minimum wage at $100.00/hour?

(Seriously, if you think a minimum wage of $100.00/hour would be great, then tell me so, but if you see a problem with setting the minimum wage at $100.00/hour tell me what problem you see. Thanks.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:18 pm
Scrat wrote:
Joe - Now you're twisting words. Nobody said anything about finding "poor people in poor countries". What was written was that you find more poor people (or people more impoverished) in countries with less economic freedom.

Let's try to stay on the same page, and not put words in each other's mouths, okay? Very Happy

Poor countries all have
Less economic freedom.
That's the study's flaw.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:43 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
If your economic theory is right, we should expect that poor people are doing worse in countries with a high degree of economic freedom. They should either be poorer, or at least their share of the national income should be lower. The actual findings contradict this prediction: Poor people in economically free countries are consistently richer than in less free ones, and their share of the national income is about the same regardless of economic freedom. (see page 21 of this PDF document.) In other words, the cake is larger in economically free countries, and the poor people's share of the cake is about the same as in less free ones.

Surely, Thomas, you're smart enough to recognize that this study runs a very serious risk of falling into a cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. The notion that levels of "economic freedom" and poverty correlate, and that, therefore, a lack of economic freedom causes poverty, is simply not substantiated.

And surely, Joe, you are smart enough to realize that I wasn't quoting the study as evidence of what you say the study fails to prove. I was quoting it to refute revel's claim that free trade and free labor markets cause inequality. If revel's economic theory was true, the observed correlation wouldn't be observed, so revel's theory is disproven. Which was the point of the excercise.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:48 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Poor countries all have
Less economic freedom.
That's the study's flaw.

Are those your words, or are they from the study? If they are your words, then it is your flaw. If they are from the study, please give me an exact citation. Thanks.

To help you out, here's the conclusion they reached, as they state it. (I didn't see your flawed conclusion there, but perhaps I missed it.):

Quote:
The degree of economic freedom present is influenced
by numerous factors. No single statistic will be able to
capture all of these factors or to represent their interre-
lations fully. We believe that the index presented here
captures most of the important elements and provides
a reasonably good measure of differences among
countries in economic freedom. However, something
as complex as economic freedom is difficult to mea-
sure with precision. Thus, small differences between
countries should not be taken very seriously.

As this work goes forward, it should open
doors for fruitful research in several areas. Certainly,
it should be of value to those seeking to pinpoint the
strengths and weaknesses of institutions and policies.
It should also be useful to those seeking to enhance
our knowledge of economic development and the pro-
cess of economic growth. Researchers analyzing the
interrelations among economic freedom, civil liber-
ties, and democratic decision-making should also find
these data of value.

Very Happy
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:10 pm
scrat,
If they didn't change minimum then folks like my grandfather would still be working for pennies. Why is that so hard to understand? I am tired of the arguement. You win. I really don't care anymore because thankfully more people think like me and the chances of the minmum wage act being taken away are slim so I don't have to worry about it nor do I, thank the good Lord, have to prove it worthy myself in order for it to remain in place.

Thomas, I agree with joefromchicago concerning the article.

However, my point remains that just because employers have extra money does not mean that they will necessarily hire more workers with that money or give a raise with that extra money as the article I showed about companies that got a tax break and then laid off workers thereby doing the exact opposite of what you claimed would happen if employers had more money by saving on wages to their employees. I am not saying that every employer or company is going to be corrupt or greedy but there has to be something to protect the little guy trying to earn a decent wage for his family.

Like I said to scrat, I am past tired of this argument. I still stand by all the things that I have stated over and over again and if that makes me stubborn or whatever, I can live with it holding no hard feelings towards any here.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:30 pm
revel wrote:
If they didn't change minimum then folks like my grandfather would still be working for pennies. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because it isn't true. It isn't even close to true. Manufacturers can no more simply decide how little to pay for labor than they can decide how little to pay for steel or plastic. With labor--as with materials--the laws of supply and demand determine the price. If your grandfather was getting pennies for his labor, it was because that was the natural price of labor for his skills.

The other thing you continue seem to fail to grasp is that when the government sets an artificially high price for unskilled labor, manufacturers are forced to raise the price of the goods they make. So when the government drives up the cost of labor in the name of helping "the poor", they inevitably drive up the cost of many if not all of the things the poor buy, like bread, clothes, houses, etc.. You earn more at the bottom rung, but you pay more for everything, and in the end, you are generally less well off than you would have been if the government hadn't messed with the cost of labor in the first place.

But my simple question might help you see some of this if you'd just try to answer it: Why not set the minimum wage at $100.00/hour? You are clearly a strong advocate for the minimum wage, so you should have an answer.

And please, if you are tired of the discussion, please simply don't answer. You are under no obligation to continue, and this should be something you enjoy. I tend to assume that if you keep coming back you may be curious as to why you aren't seeing the bigger picture here. I'm not trying to badger you here... you are more than welcome to step away and I'll be happy to meet you some other time on some different discussion where perhaps we'll agree completely. Very Happy
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:04 pm
Scrat wrote:
Why not set the minimum wage at $100.00/hour? You are clearly a strong advocate for the minimum wage, so you should have an answer.

Come on, Scrat. If you stretch anything to absurd dimensions, its going to become an argument against it. Look at the issue a little more realistically.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:22 am
revel wrote:
If they didn't change minimum then folks like my grandfather would still be working for pennies.

Your grandfather worked for pennies for two reasons:

1) Inflation: a penny bought you about seven times more fifty years than it does today.

2) Productivity gains: people were almost 3 times less productive fifty years ago than they were today. I have no direct source for this, but you can puzzle it together from GDP data and population data.

Together, productivity growth and inflation alone account for an increase of nominal personal income by about a factor of 20. Compare this with how wages grew during that time, and you will see that there is little left to explain by other factors, such as changes in the minimum wage.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:47 am
ok scrat, I get your point that if I keep coming back I must want to continue the conversation. I would be careful about assuming things not in evidence yet though.

Quote:
I tend to assume that if you keep coming back you may be curious as to why you aren't seeing the bigger picture here

Rather than making you assume I will just tell you the reason that I keep coming back is because I keep reading stuff I disagree with and feel the need to say so even though I am tired of discussing the minimum wage act in general. So to cut it all short I will just end it by saying that I disagree with all your reasons and Thomas's reasons of why having a minimum wage standard is not a good thing and the chances are no matter what you come up with I am not going to agree because I think that there has to be a safety net in place for the common worker and nothing anyone could say would cause me to change that basic belief and I will just leave it at that.

I probably will come back and see what you have to say back but I don't want to debate the issue of minimum wage anymore. I'll see you around here and other places with no hard feelings. Smile
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 05:22 pm
revel wrote:
So to cut it all short I will just end it by saying that I disagree with all your reasons and Thomas's reasons of why having a minimum wage standard is not a good thing and the chances are no matter what you come up with I am not going to agree...

I can only tell you that any opinion that is proof against alteration based on new information is an opinion most likley not based in sound reasoning. Of course, there's no requirement that your opinions be based in sound reasoning, or even well informed.

For what it's worth; nothing Thomas or I have written in any way says anything for or against the notion of a "safety net". What we are arguing is that the minimum wage is not an effective safety net, and hurts the very people it supposedly exists to help.

But I understand that you don't care to understand that point. :wink:

All the best...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:16 pm
Quote:
But I understand that you don't care to understand that point.

scrat, I bet you always like to have the last word. That's ok, I live in the south and I am used to it. Smile
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:26 pm
Quote:
Signs that the "jobless recovery" is starting to generate jobs after all should not prevent our looking at some of the factors in the earlier slow growth of employment while the economy was growing vigorously otherwise.

Although the unemployment rate has been at near record lows, despite the slow growth of employment, this has been because of people who simply dropped out of the labor force, and were therefore not counted as unemployed. But think about it. Can you or I simply drop out of the labor force?

Of course not. We have bills to pay. Who can drop out then? Usually either those who are rich, those who are willing to live on handouts or young people still living with or off their parents.

According to the March 22nd issue of BusinessWeek magazine, "almost all" of the decline in the number of people seeking work "has occurred in the 16- to 24-year-old age group." Labor force participation among people older than that has continued to be what it usually is.

In other words, people who have to support themselves and their families were not the ones dropping out of the labor force. When things get tough for younger people, they can turn to mom and dad. Others turn to the taxpayers.

There is another aspect to this, however. Jobs have long been harder for young people to find. Some might say that this is due to their lesser skills and experience. But there is no inherent reason why low-skill people should be any less employable at low wages than high-skill people are at high wages.

The difference is that the government sets a lower limit to the movement of wages and also mandates working conditions and other benefits that are the same for everyone. All these things cost money and in effect make the minimum wage higher.

These things that cost employers money and cost workers jobs do not, however, cost anything to those who pass laws that enable the legislators to feel good about themselves and look good to the voters. These costs do not get counted.

California in general, and San Francisco in particular, think nothing of piling on goodies that employers are required to provide. Costs are no deterrent to the politicians, who can always call the goodies "rights" or part of business' "social responsibilities."

That kind of rhetoric is sufficient for those who have been through the dumbed-down education of our times. Costs, consequences, logic and evidence are concepts that are too old-fashioned for those who are in tune with our times.

Link > http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20040408.shtml
0 Replies