Setting the record straight on language issues #2 Generic he/singular their

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 02:53 pm
The prescription:

'they/their' is plural so it can't be used with a singular antecedent such as 'everyone to refer to people in general.

The reality:

As with all prescriptions, they contain no sense of reality.

Let's start with an example:

Everyone brought their sleeping bags.

This, according to the prescriptivists, is illogical because, they say, 'everyone' is singular but 'their' is plural.

This notion is illogical on a number of grounds.

First: collocations like this, 'everyone - their', have been in use for hundreds of years.

Second: everyone intuitively knows that 'everyone' is grammatically singular but notionally plural. There isn't a native speaker alive who would think that upon saying to an audience of a thousand or a million people,

"Everyone, please stand up",

that one person would stand, leaving the speaker to repeat it a thousand or a million times.

Third: both the words used in English and the grammar structures do double, triple or multiple duty in the language. There are so many of these, it's a wonder how the prescriptivists missed them.

{I'll let you in on a little secret - very little to no thought has ever gone into these prescriptions. They have arisen for the most spurious of reasons and perpetuated themselves for the same reason, very little or no thought given to their veracity]

As I say, there are many but let's just deal with the one that completely blows this prescription out of the water. It's a FACT that 'you' is used both as a singular and a plural. In fact, the pronoun 'you' in the singular is used with plural verbs, 'are' and 'were', just as the plural 'you' is used with the plural verbs 'are' and 'were'.

There are many more but that will suffice for now.

By the by, never ever use the Chicago Manual of Style as a reference for grammar. That would be like using Strunk and White, or Harbrace College Whatever, the Capital Community College/Darling website or Brians Errors or the Grammar Girl.

They all get some things right but they are so rife with errors that you're much better off seeking a reliable source, eg. Merriam–Webster's Dictionary of English Usage

===========================

A few comments on generic 'he'.

1) Everyone brought their sleeping bags.

2) Everyone brought his sleeping bag.

Is 'he' really generic, does it work? Look at sentence 2). Prescriptivists are big on telling us that prescriptions are intended to make language clear and concise.

So in #2, doe it appear that everyone/all the people carried one sleeping bag, his sleeping bag? How silly is that? Did everyone/all the people also sleep in the same bag.

Okay, let's fix it. We'll just make it a plural.

3) Everyone brought his sleeping bags.

Is this sensible? Sure, it is, if you want to say that 'he' supplied sleeping bags for everyone/all the people.

Now look at sentence 1),

Everyone brought their sleeping bags.

Much more sensible - no mental or grammatical gymnastics are needed, there's definitely no need to recast the sentence - as I said, native speakers haven't seen any need to recast this perfectly natural collocation since, well read it for yourself.

Quote:
... it [The singular "they"/"their"/"them"/"themselves" construction] actually dates back to at least the 14th century, and was used by the following authors (among others) in addition to Jane Austen: Geoffrey Chaucer, Edmund Spenser, William Shakespeare, the King James Bible, The Spectator, Jonathan Swift, Daniel Defoe, Frances Sheridan, Oliver Goldsmith, Henry Fielding, Maria Edgeworth, Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, William Makepeace Thackeray, Sir Walter Scott, George Eliot [Mary Anne Evans], Charles Dickens, Mrs. Gaskell, Anthony Trollope, John Ruskin, Robert Louis Stevenson, Walt Whitman, George Bernard Shaw, Lewis Carroll, Oscar Wilde, Rudyard Kipling, H. G. Wells, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Edith Wharton, W. H. Auden, Lord Dunsany, George Orwell, and C. S. Lewis.

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html#X1a

If there had been a rule from the beginning of language that prohibited 'they/their/etc' from being used with a grammatically singular element, then maybe it would have a measure of veracity. It doesn't. This "rule", like all the prescriptions were invented/concocted/made up.

Quote:
Singular "their" etc., was an accepted part of the English language before the 18th-century grammarians started making arbitrary judgements as to what is "good English" and "bad English", based on a kind of pseudo-"logic" deduced from the Latin language, that has nothing whatever to do with English.

Note the underlined part at the end, "nothing whatever to do with English". That's the underlying rational for most every prescription. That's why people don't follow these nonsense rules.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 782 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 06:57 pm
Here's a good description of the nuances of singular they that illustrates just how badly prescriptivists have missed the forest whilst they focused on a small, artificial weed.

The prohibition against singular 'they' is another example of Prescriptivist Poppycock.

Quote:
The President and the pronoun
August 3, 2009 @ 11:17 am · Filed by Geoffrey K. Pullum under Language and politics, Prescriptivist Poppycock, singular "they"

A nice example of the way singular they works was overlooked (like health care, the economy, and everything else in the past week of "racial politics") during the brouhaha over President Obama's press conference remarks about the arrest in Cambridge, Massachusetts of Professor Henry Louis Gates. Obama said:

. . . the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home.

Why would he use they and their, when the antecedent, somebody, is syntactically singular, and we actually know that the somebody he is talking about in this case was Professor Henry Louis Gates, who is male? Why did he not say proof that he was in his own home?

(By the way, when I write they in this post, in bold italics, I mean the word described by the dictionary entry for they — the word that has the inflected forms they, them, their, theirs, themselves, and occasionally themself. Likewise, by he I mean the item having the inflected forms he, him, his, and himself.)

The answer to the question of why Obama did not use he is that he knows intuitively that is not how things work in contemporary Standard English. Obama (like any native speaker) would certainly use he if the antecedent were a name: he would say The Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting Professor Gates when there was already proof that he was in his own home. (The version with they would be grammatical but with a different meaning: The Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting Professor Gates when there was already proof that they were in their own home, and that could only have the meaning — absurd in the present context — that the police officers in question shared a home and were provably in it at the time of the arrest.) But antecedents like somebody are different.

Obama was trying to make a general claim about the stupidity of arresting some person x when there was already proof that x was in x's own home. The x in this paraphrase is intended as what a logician would call a bound variable. The issue at hand is which pronoun to use when expressing the same content in English. Now, Obama wasn't intending to limit himself to the claim that arresting Professor Gates was stupid. Doubtless he would think that arresting Harvard president Drew Faust in her own home, if she got snippy after she had shown her driver's license, would also be stupid — unless she had clearly committed an arrestable crime. And in contemporary Standard English, with antecedents like somebody or everyone or any citizen, people typically use the pronoun they for "bound variable" meanings in this sort of syntactic situation.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1629#more-1629

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 07:15 pm
Everyone knows each other
April 26, 2008 @ 1:49 pm · Filed by Geoffrey K. Pullum under Prescriptivist Poppycock, singular "they"

"Everyone knows each other", said someone on BBC Radio 4 this morning, speaking about some tight-knit community. And instantly I saw that this was the key to a definitive argument against the logic of the opponents of singular they. I wonder if I can make you see how awesomely beautiful the insight is.

The -s suffix on the present-tense verb knows tells us that the subject is morphosyntactically singular. That is, it counts as singular for purposes of subject-verb agreement. But each other, famously, requires a semantically plural subject. That is why They know each other is grammatical and *He knows each other is not. From this and nothing else it follows that semantic plurality and morphosyntactic singularity are compatible in English. No prescriptivist has suggested that there is something grammatically wrong with Everyone knows each other. But because of that, the logical objection to singular they just collapses. Everyone knows themselves has no grammatically relevant property that isn't already instantiated by Everyone knows each other.

I recently discussed the ravings of the apparently half-mad David Gelernter's description of the consequences of singular they (which he falsely believes was a malign invention of feminists some time "since the 1970s"): he said that grammar simply "collapsed in a heap after agreement between subject and pronoun was declared to be optional." He means antecedent and pronoun. But there is no failure of agreement.

Syntactically, when everyone is a subject it demands singular agreement on the verb of its clause; semantically, when it is an antecedent it denotes a collectivity of human beings and thus allows plural anaphoric elements. Everyone, including Gelernter (surely), would agree that its meaning is fully compatible with plural predicates, so that Everyone knew each other is grammatical. What happens in Everyone knows each other is that you see a plural-requiring predicate and a singular verb in the same clause. And Everyone knows themselves simply illustrates the same point with a reflexive pronoun instead of a reciprocal.

Avoid singular they if you want to; nobody is making you use it. But don't ever think that it is new (it goes back to early English centuries ago), or that it is illogical (there is no logical conflict between being syntactically singular and semantically plural), or that it is ungrammatical (it is used by the finest writers who ever used English, writers who uncontroversially knew what they were doing).

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=89
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 01:26 am
@JTT,
A learned discourse, and one which adequately illustrates the lay confusion btween"grammaticality" with "logicality".

Many years ago, in the heyday of Chomsky's transformational grammar, I remember the perplexity of traditional English teachers who having enrolled on an MA course in linguistics, were informed that "...ain't not got one" was perfectly "grammatical" within specific idiolects (as per the double negative ne...pas in French). And therein lies the kernel of the never-ending debate between "appropriateness" and "correctness", (or prescription versus description) which is the political residue of a now forgotten 19th. century attempt to "teach correct English to the uneducated masses" by upper class Latin scholars.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 01:53 am
@JTT,
SLIGHT CORRECTION OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ABOVE

A learned discourse, but one which might be more simply summarised by reference to the lay confusion between"grammaticality" and "logicality".

Many years ago, in the heyday of Chomsky's transformational grammar, I remember the perplexity of traditional English teachers who having enrolled on an MA course in linguistics, were informed that "...ain't not got one" was perfectly "grammatical" within specific idiolects (as per the double negative ne...pas in French). And therein lies the kernel of the never-ending debate between "appropriateness" and "correctness", (or prescription versus description) which is the political residue of a now forgotten 19th. century attempt to "teach correct English to the uneducated masses" by upper class Latin scholars.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 02:08 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
An A2Ker in another thread who obviously has a firm grasp on the grammar of THEIR language:

He got mean to the point of attacking someone. Thankfully, they weren't hurt badly.

Quote:
The answer to the question of why Obama [and this A2ker] did not use he is that he [and 'they] knows intuitively that is not how things work in contemporary Standard English.

Obama (like any native speaker) would certainly use he if the antecedent were a name: he would say The Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting Professor Gates when there was already proof that he was in his own home. (The version with they would be grammatical but with a different meaning: The Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting Professor Gates when there was already proof that they were in their own home, and that could only have the meaning — absurd in the present context — that the police officers in question shared a home and were provably in it at the time of the arrest.) But antecedents like somebody are different.

Ibid

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 08:36 pm
January 5, 2012 by Geoffrey Pullum

Comments (48)
Dogma vs. Evidence: Singular They
I promised I would return to the vexed topic of using they or them or their with singular antecedents. Your holiday homework was to re-read the first act of The Importance of Being Earnest and comment. Richard Grayson (see the Comments (63)) saw the point immediately: Lady Bracknell remarks that at her last reception she wants music “that will encourage conversation, particularly at the end of the season when everyone has practically said whatever they had to say, which, in most cases, was probably not much” (underlining is mine). Everyone is the subject; the verb form has shows singular agreement; yet the pronoun she chooses is they.

The conclusion I draw is that singular they is fully grammatical, at least with quantifier-like antecedents such as everyone, nobody, etc. If Lady Bracknell is not the most intimidatingly formal speaker of Standard English in all of literature, I don’t know who is. We can’t dismiss her for lack of breeding. If Lady Bracknell uses a construction, I say it’s grammatical. (Or do you want to dismiss Oscar Wilde as unable to write grammatical lines for her to utter?)

One could say something similar about the real-life Lord Byron, who wrote contemptuously of Cambridge University: “Nobody here seems to look into an Author, ancient or modern, if they can avoid it.” The -s on seems shows singular agreement with nobody, which is the antecedent of they. Do the pedants really want to say that Lord Byron couldn’t make his pronouns agree?

One could go on. Shakespeare? Yes, he used singular they. Jane Austen? Large numbers of examples throughout her books. Who else? Perhaps the most telling example is that although Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style preaches against singular they, when E. B. White got back to his own excellent writing he wrote lines like “But somebody taught you, didn’t they?” (that’s from Charlotte’s Web).

What baffles me is how reluctant educated people are to take such facts as evidence. This is what I meant about Mary’s reaction to my usage. I’m not arrogantly assuming personal authority (though the commenter who uses the name “clarity_please” thinks I am, and others agree). Remember, I’m the one who pays attention to evidence from Oscar Wilde and Lord Byron and Jane Austen and E. B. White and huge numbers of other fine writers, not the one who pig-headedly insists on unquestioned dogma.

I’m not bossing Mary around concerning how to use her native language (that really would be arrogant); she doesn’t have to use they anywhere she doesn’t choose to. I’m just commenting on her amazing unwillingness to take anybody’s writing as evidence about what is grammatical, rather than as grounds for (however implausibly) calling the writer ignorant or careless. She clings to a sort of faith-based grammar: She thinks there are rules that we should follow even if native-speaking grammarians and fine playwrights and novelists disregard them—even if nobody in the world follows them (recall her remark: “No way shall I ever be convinced to change this in my writing or listening”). Why such a resolutely and hermetically theological view?

Some people clearly have an oversimplified misconception of the rule: “They must always refer to a group of entities” or something of the sort (“clarity_please” seems to have such a view). They write trying to explain to me, as if I were in elementary school, that “simple arithmetic” should tell me I am wrong. They seem not to realize that trying to suck grammatical truths out of naive conceptions of meaning is like trying to get blood out of a turnip. But they just stick with their misconceptions against all evidence, Wilde and Byron and Austen and White and Pullum be damned.

Some people may think I am pushing some kind of modern political correctness to avoid the apparent sexism of “Everyone should bring his own lunch,” but they are simply uninformed: singular they antedates modern feminism by hundreds of years. What I’m saying here has nothing to do with expungement of the apparent sexism of putatively sex-neutral he. It’s simply that I never cease to be amazed at such determined refusal to look at the evidence for English sentence structure the way we typically look at the evidence for, say, anatomical structure.

Normal people don’t say “No way will I ever accept the existence of a furry creature with a beak”: The discovery of the duck-billed platypus settles it against that opinion. When the topic is grammar, it seems that for some people nothing can ever settle anything.

[A brief update: For the people who have asked me why they takes plural agreement: "singular they" is an abbreviatory name, and it does not imply anything about agreement. They always takes the plural agreement form, regardless of its meaning; and everybody always takes the singular agreement form. That does not mean it's a contradiction for they to have everybody as its antecedent. Consider Everybody hopes that they are going to be the lucky one. The main clause subject everybody requires the singular form hopes; the subordinate clause subect they requires the plural form are; semantically, they expresses a bound variable; everything is as it should be. The sentence is fully grammatical.]

Return to Top
This entry was posted in Grammar, Mistakes, Style, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments (48)

http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2012/01/05/dogma-and-evidence/?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en
0 Replies