I Have Tried Hard Not To Talk Politics Here

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 10:44 am
because it's an exercise in futility but I certainly found this to be interesting particularly coming from the no taxes crowd.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leonardburman/2011/08/18/rick-perry-middle-income-americans-dont-pay-enough-income-taxes/

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:10 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Of all the candidates running, a vote for Perry would be most self destructive, because, as the article makes plain, the man has no soul.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 04:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think he lacks more than a soul. His brain is missing.

BBB
RABEL222

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 04:20 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
What do you expect. He is a Texan politician. Lack of a brain is a necessity.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 12:36 am
BBB said it best -- Perry's brain is obviously missing. I never thought I'd say this under any circumstances but it's reallycome to the point where I'm thinking even Sara Palin would be better than Perry. The man is mentally ill.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 02:26 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Perry's brain is obviously missing. I never thought I'd say this under any circumstances but it's reallycome to the point where I'm thinking even Sara Palin would be better than Perry. The man is mentally ill
So you are talking smack about Texans, who have been electing Perry since 1984, three times as gov, as well as about REPUB Gov's who have elected him twice to lead them.......But hey, I am sure you must be right *sarcasm*
djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:01 am
@hawkeye10,
it's a well known fact that the electorate are all idiots, i mean just look at the folks they elect

i have voted in every election i have been eligible to vote in since turning 18 (30 years) and to the best of my knowledge have never elected a single person
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 07:31 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

BBB said it best -- Perry's brain is obviously missing. I never thought I'd say this under any circumstances but it's reallycome to the point where I'm thinking even Sara Palin would be better than Perry. The man is mentally ill.

That's quite a stretch, but unfortunately not beyond sensible reasoning. Come Lord Jesus. Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 07:32 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Perry's brain is obviously missing. I never thought I'd say this under any circumstances but it's reallycome to the point where I'm thinking even Sara Palin would be better than Perry. The man is mentally ill
So you are talking smack about Texans, who have been electing Perry since 1984, three times as gov, as well as about REPUB Gov's who have elected him twice to lead them.......But hey, I am sure you must be right *sarcasm*

Boy Hawkeye, nothing gets by you.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:39 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I wonder if hawk knows these genius Texans elected Bush their governor. Like I said A Texan politician cant have a brain to run for office. It seems that the electoriate in Texas vote for their counterparts.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 03:45 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I wonder if hawk knows these genius Texans elected Bush their governor. Like I said A Texan politician cant have a brain to run for office. It seems that the electoriate in Texas vote for their counterparts.
Bush was a highly successful politician if you mean getting elected, helping your friends, and transforming government according to your will. It was not an accident, Bush is plenty smart.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:13 am
@hawkeye10,
I wont even try to reply to such a stupid post. You think him a hero because he fucked 80% of the population of the U.S., you are becoming more waterman than waterman.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:17 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Do you have a point?
Just axin'.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:35 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Do you have a point?
Just axin'.
Ya, the point is that the insult as given is actually an insult towards 29 million people, because they are responsible for Perry being in power, they think very highly of him, as evidenced by them continuing to vote for him.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:37 am
@hawkeye10,
I believe it was P.T. Barnum who observed that there's one born every minute.

And if you think my comment too strong, take a look at this thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/176321-1
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sounds fair. I mean to cast aspersions upon the judgment of folk who voted for him.

I doubt all Texans did, so it's not insulting ALL of Texas.

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:44 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
What do you expect. He is a Texan politician. Lack of a brain is a necessity.

President Johnson was a Texan. He had a brain. You're peddling anti-Texan stereotypes.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:53 pm
There have been some good Texas politicians. Lloyd Benson, Ann Richards, to name just two.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:07 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I mean to cast aspersions upon the judgment of folk who voted for him.

According to one of Molly Ivins's books, I think Shrub, the Texas constitution reduces its governors to mostly-symbolic figureheads. Because office holders are of little practical consequence, it doesn't make much difference to Texas if they're idiots. Except, of course, when they go on applying for higher office with their experience as governor on their resumé.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 08:12 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
The Power of the Texas Governor takes a fresh look at the state's chief executives, from John Connally to George W. Bush, to discover how various governors have overcome the institutional limitations of the office. Delving into the governors' election campaigns and successes and failures in office, Brian McCall makes a convincing case that the strength of a governor's personality—in particular, his or her highly developed social skills—can translate into real political power. He shows, for example, how governors such as Ann Richards and George W. Bush forged personal relationships with individual legislators to achieve their policy goals. Filled with revealing insights and anecdotes from key players in each administration, The Power of the Texas Governor offers new perspectives on leadership and valuable lessons on the use of power.

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/mccpow.html

Quote:
With big-time political figures like Perry, I think it's necessary to distinguish between wonky policy smarts and calculated political savvy. Perry is obviously less of a wonk than your average Congressional Budget Office director (although he's apparently familiar enough with budgeting gimmicks to game the system fairly well). But when it comes to political smarts, there seems to be a good case that he's a reasonably effective operator—perhaps by calculated design, perhaps by natural instinct—who not only knows what his base wants done, but what it wants to hear. And that, I suspect, helps explain the "superficial extremism" I wrote about in my column this morning: Perry's "genius for sensing where his base is" has led him to stake out a number of fiery rhetorical positions, but also to follow-through with substantially less radical governance

http://reason.com/blog/2011/08/19/rick-perrys-political-savvy
0 Replies