Skip?

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:51 am
Is "Henry Louis (Skip) Gates " pronounced as "Henry Gates ?" Because the author tells us to skip "Louis?"

Context:

The Gates Incident
“This is How They Treat Black Men in America!”

By Eric Easter
The official police report regarding the recent arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis (Skip) Gates reads like a bad detective novel.

There is suspense:

“As I turned and faced the door, I could see an older black male standing in the foyer of Ware Street. I made this observation through the glass paned front door…”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 598 • Replies: 10
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:57 am
@oristarA,
No, I would imagine Skip is a nickname. A nickname is a name by which people are known, but it's not their real name. The cricketer Ian Botham is known as 'Beefy.' Here is the Wikipedia entry for another cricketer Andrew Flintoff.

Quote:
Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff, MBE, (born 6 December 1977 in Preston, Lancashire) is a former English cricketer who played for Lancashire County Cricket Club, England and the Indian Premier League team Chennai Super Kings. A tall (6' 4") fast bowler, batsman and slip fielder, Flintoff according to the ICC rankings was consistently rated amongst the top international allrounders in both ODI and Test cricket. His nickname "Freddie" or "Fred" comes from the similarity between his surname and that of Fred Flintstone.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:06 am
yes. It is in fact his nickname.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:07 am
Yes, i concur. Gaius Iulius had the cognomen Caesar, which means the bald one, because he began losing his hair at a very early age. The American general and President, Ulysses Grant, was recommended to the USMA at West Point by a congressman who was a friend of his mother's family. Her maiden name had been Simpson, so the congressman recommend Ulysses Simpson Grant, even though that wasn't his name. His classmates at West Point called him "Uncle Sam" because of his initials, and eventually, his nickname in the army was Sam Grant (which also wasn't his name). René Robert Cavelier inherited a family hunting lodge when he still a boy, and the family had called that hunting lodge "La Salle," simply meaning the bedroom, arguably meaning the lodge. Well, he became a close associate of members of the court of Louis XIV, and even though he had not been enobled, as a joke, people started calling him "le Sieur de la Salle," meaning the lord of La Salle, which was, of course, just an old cabin in the woods. Louis XIV was not amused, though, and he did enoble Cavelier, who has been known in history ever since as La Salle--one ot the greatest explorers of the North American continent.

Our friend Isaac, here, was well known by the girls to have round heels, to be a real pushover. So they started calling him Isaac the Pushover, and eventually just shortened that to Izzy the Push.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 08:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Our friend Isaac, here, was well known by the girls to have round heels, to be a real pushover. So they started calling him Isaac the Pushover, and eventually just shortened that to Izzy the Push.

I can't speak for your friend Isaac, but I got the name from William Burrough's Nova Express.
Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:42 am
@izzythepush,
Sure, Bubba . . . sure . . .
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:23 pm
oristar, you might like to read this for some background on Skip Gates and some of his take on the effects of what happened with the cop.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/04/10/skip-gates-s-next-big-idea.html
oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:47 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

oristar, you might like to read this for some background on Skip Gates and some of his take on the effects of what happened with the cop.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/04/10/skip-gates-s-next-big-idea.html

Thank you.

In "Skip Gates's Next Big Idea," "'s" is pronounced as "z?"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:48 pm
Thank you all.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 01:06 am
ori, if you're talking about the last s in Gates's, yes, it's pronounced z ((that was a bit confusing, since there are three s's in the headline). What I was wondering is how Louis is pronounced. I must have heard someone say his name in full in the extensive news coverage, but I just don't remember. Could be either anglified or francified, respectively loo-iss or loo-ee. The actress Jula Louis-Dreyfus pronounces it Loo-ee. the kings called themselves loo-ee. But most Americans, I think, would consider it loo-iss.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 02:07 am

Nickname "Skip"

A skipper is the captain of a team. It's common to call a coach "Skip".

btw, also, In the UK, a skip is a dumpster (US).
0 Replies