the last of him = ?

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:30 am

Context:

“As I turned and faced the door, I could see an older black male standing in the foyer of Ware Street. I made this observation through the glass paned front door…”

Action:

“…Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had heard the last of him.”

Humor:

His response was “ya, I’ll speak with your mama outside.”

Conflict:

“Due to the tumultuous manner Gates had exhibited in his residence as well as his continued tumultuous behavior outside the residence, in view of the public, I warned Gates that he was becoming disorderly.”

For the record if you’ve missed it, Harvard professor and PBS personality Henry Louis Gates was arrested outside of his home after a neighbor ( Lucia Whalen, a Harvard fundraiser) reported what appeared to her to be a break-in attempt at Gates’ home. The suspect turned out to be Gates himself. The police showed up and anything but hilarity ensued. Gates reported made loud accusations of racism. The officer was offended. The result was Gates’ arrest, embarrassment on both sides, a mug shot and fours hours in booking.
More:

http://www.ebonyjet.com/Templates/DetailsView.aspx?id=13930
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 598 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:44 am
Very badly written . . . i suspect that the expression wanted was "I had not heard the last of him"--otherwise, it makes no sense. The expression "to hear the last of" means that one will not see, hear or communicate with someone again, or not retun to a place or activity again. However, it is almost always used in the negative--"you haven't heard the last of this," or "She said we had not heard the last of her." It is also used with the verb to see: "You haven't seen the last of me, yet."

Given the accusations Gates was making, and the threat of a law suit, it only makes sense for him to have said "You haven't heard the last of me."
oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:55 am
@Setanta,
Thank you
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 10:23 am
@Setanta,
Excellent description, Set, except for your standard leap to assumption - "very badly written".

Had you checked the link, ie. done your duty as even a half-assed careful teacher/researcher, you would have found that it was a direct quote. That doesn't exclude the possibility of some bad writing but it opens the possibility to other reasons, typo [there are many in your posts and mine and in others here at A2K].

You would look less a fool if you didn't have this knee jerk reaction.
0 Replies