Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:22 pm
Does anyone have any idea where I can get an English version of the movie "M" with Peter Lorre? I have been wanting to see this movie since I saw a documentary on it.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:32 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't know if it was ever dubbed into English, Arella. Maybe.

Me, I very much don't like dubbed movies - and in the case of this particular movie, I wouldn't like to not hear Peter Lorre's voice, but someone else's.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not sure it was ever dubbed but I think there was a version that had subtitles. I have found a copy of the remake done in 1951 with David Wayne and if I have to I'll get that but I'd much rather find the one that is subtitled. Peter Lorre did have a strange voice for horror movies, didn't he?
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:03 pm
Yes, an English version was done, i've seen it. As i understand it, it was common for German films to have the dialog scenes (this was an early "talky" and Fritz Lang's first) redone in other languages. I don't know where you'll find it, but an English version was done about 1930 or -31. Maybe Joe will come along and help you out.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:10 pm
@Setanta,
I sure hope so. I was fascinated by the documentary about this movie and I would really like to understand all that is going on in it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:32 pm
@Arella Mae,
Oh, yeah, the M dvds have subtitles. I would not get other than the original movie, having seen that years ago, in a revival type movie theater. Egads! I still remember it, at least somewhat, and would accept no substitutes, as they say in commercials for certain foods. I know there is a new Criterion Edition of the original out (supposed to be the best sound, yadda yadda yadda. Tsar, et al, would know more about that.)

I'll see if I can find a link.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:34 pm
@ossobuco,
That would be sweet of you Osso. I juggle A2K and my job. LOL. I work in a great place.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:34 pm
@Arella Mae,
It's a great classic film that thankfully hasn't run out of print.

Amazon.com has the DVD's but since it's not a popular bestseller due to its age and very dark story, the new copies of several editions are relatively expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=M&x=12&y=21

Most video stores should have a copy for rental at least.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's the scoop - the Criterion edition was put out in 2004. I suppose it is available through netflix (don't know for sure) or Amazon..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:41 pm
@Arella Mae,
See if this amazon link works - it gives choices of types of seeing the 1931 "M" -

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_6?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=movies&sprefix=movies#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=M&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3AM
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Missed your post, Tsary.

edit - was just looking at my amazon link, and I see the Criterion 2004 isn't so completely off the wall expensive, "used"; "new" being not that much worse.
I've no idea of the difference between 'new' and the highest price asked for, do you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanx! I just need to find out if any of those have subtitles. I didn't see where any said they do. I think I'll check the library too. I did learn something while trying to find this movie. Peter Lorre couldn't whistle. It was the Lang guy (can't find his first name now) that did the whistling in the film.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:06 pm
@Arella Mae,
I bet they all do, and say so somewhere in tiny print.

YES, just click on the individual choices and it will say language - German, subtitles - English, if you scroll down.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh okay! Thanx Osso! I am fascinated by this movie. Maybe it's because of the documentary I saw on it but watching Peter Lorre stalking needs no words. I love black and white films.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, I've a lot of experience in seeing 'foreign' movies with subtitles - maybe more than american movies - and can't remember any that were in the 'foreign' language and not subtitled, since whenever I've gotten to travel, I haven't gone to the movies and seen them in whatever country. So, 'foreign' movies available here in the u.s. seem to me virtually all subtitled, or dubbed.

Dubbed, don't get me started.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:20 pm
@Arella Mae,
Me too, me too.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:21 pm
@ossobuco,
LOL I don't care for the dubbed ones either. Looks like I can actually rent the movie and play it instantly on my computer. Think I'll plan on that with hubby this weekend. I really appreciate everyone's help.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
Let us know how it goes.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:32 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Does anyone have any idea where I can get an English version of the movie "M" with Peter Lorre? I have been wanting to see this movie since I saw a documentary on it.

Well, you could always come over to my place and watch my copy.

I don't know if it was ever dubbed, but the Criterion Edition is subtitled. Criterion does a very good job of restoring old movies, but the DVD extras are usually pretty sparse.

Set is right that, in the early '30s, when M was filmed, studios would sometimes make foreign language versions of a film at the same time that they made the original. A Spanish language version of Dracula, for instance, was filmed at the same time as the Tod Browning version -- different cast, different director, same sets. But that was a Hollywood thing. A German studio -- even a big one like UFA -- wouldn't have had the resources to do something like that.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:32 pm
@Setanta,
That's interesting, Set - I wonder how many languages, and if the versions are extant..
0 Replies