Euphemisms--I've Had 'Em Up to Here!!!!

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:31 pm
Boita you and deb made me laugh, but now I gotta explain to my boss why this year's business plan is seemingly so funny.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:03 pm
Adrian wrote:
I hate it when speedhumps, roundabouts, traffic islands and roundabouts are installed on roads and described as "traffic calming devices".

Right--when everyone knows they should be called diverters!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Boita you and deb made me laugh, but now I gotta explain to my boss why this year's business plan is seemingly so funny.

We aim to please - and cause trouble!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:54 pm
Quote:
Adrian wrote:
Quote:
I hate it when speedhumps, roundabouts, traffic islands and roundabouts are installed on roads and described as "traffic calming devices".

Right--when everyone knows they should be called diverters!Adrian wrote:

Right--when everyone knows they should be called diverters!

A manx friend of mine call them dead policemen! Laughing

dlowan Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:07 pm
A problem with euphemisms, happened just today...

The children's museum used to have a resident mouse on the second floor. (In a cage.) Sozlet liked it, then they did some sort of renovation/ redecoration, and the mouse isn't there anymore. I asked a museum person where the mouse was, if it had been moved to another part of the museum after the renovation, and she said no, the mouse was gone. I wasn't too surprised, it was sort of a filler while that space was waiting to be renovated, wasn't really thematically appropriate.

Later, sozlet said that she was sad that the mouse died. I said huh? She said "The museum lady said it was gone." I said "Ohhhh... I think she just meant it's not in the museum anymore." Sozlet was quite sure that the museum lady meant the mouse had died, and she seemed to be a bit annoyed that I was trying to pull one over on her. (Egad, I have a future Deb on my hands, don't I?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:39 pm
God help you if you do, Soz!!!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:50 pm
Soz, at least she didn't think you ate it!! LOL
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:00 pm
I am quaking in my boots!

You remember that one, Diane? (She was playing and gave me something to eat, I thought [invisible], I rather absently munched it with great relish, looked down to see a small stricken face gawping at me, she said, "It was a MOUSE!!")
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:05 pm
Roberta and Deb could put George Carlin to shame. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!
0 Replies

sarius

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:37 am
arrrrr-rated stuff...

captain's hook, jolly roger, shiver me timber, hoist the mainsail, walk the plank, land ho, plunder the booty, royal rudder, main mast, fore-and-aft rigged schooner, thar' she blows...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:25 am
Euphemisms for death and sex abound. We don't wanna talk about this stuff? Phooey. Dead is dead and sex is sex.

Just thinking about ads for apartments. No, I'm not moving. Indirect sunlight=darker than a tomb. Efficiency kitchen=you'll be cooking in the bathroom. Charming=small.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:56 am
Roberta- Fixer-upper- The last owners trashed the place!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:57 pm
Social Worker Speak for an obnoxious child entering the foster care system: "This boy has a special appeal."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 03:16 pm
"Tinkle" makes me want to vomit.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:18 pm
My friend's mother told me that girl's don't sweat; they glisten. Gag me with a spoon.
0 Replies

mutmut3

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:54 pm
It's obnoxious when I hear that I'm "vertically challenged", or that my neighbor is "on the large side"-- I'm short and he's obese, so what's the problem? And remember "sanitation engineers" aka garbarge collectors or in pre- politically days, garbagemen?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 02:22 am
Right on, mutmut! I remember when garbagemen were garbagemen, short was short, and fat was fat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 03:08 am
No, Roberta. Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 03:24 am
roger wrote:
No, Roberta. Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow.

...and I'll paying good money to lick it off them!

<once you abandon therapy nothing is too low!>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 03:26 am
Off the horses? You are very odd....oh - no, off the men! Silly me...
0 Replies