week staged an end run =?

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:19 am

Context

After initially playing down the accident, the state-run news media had grown more assertive in recent days. They were invigorated in part by the so-called netizens who all week staged an end run around the mainstream press with 140-character updates on China’s Twitter equivalents.

More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/world/asia/01crackdown.html?scp=9&sq=China%20train%20accident&st=cse
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 388 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:36 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
They were invigorated in part by the so-called netizens who all week staged an end run around the mainstream press with 140-character updates on China’s Twitter equivalents.

all week is one component

an end run is an idiom (it assumes the readers' knowledge of football
http://sportsidioms.com/page/7.htm )

For the entire week, online posters got around the mainstream press by using the Chinese equivalent of Twitter. The state-run media became more assertive in their reporting as a result of the online posters' activity.

Without going back to the original article, it appears that Chinese state-run media tried to play down/cover-up some event. As the news got out by way of the online posts, the state-run media decided to tell the truth as well.

~~~

now that I've looked at the original article, I can see the interpretation is correct

oristarA

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,

Cool.
Thank you.
0 Replies