Unnecessary Negativity

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 10:16 pm
Uncalled-for negativity - we've all had it thrust upon us, and we all have probably been guilty of thrusting it upon someone else. What do you do when it is staring you in the face in the form of another human being, who is inviting you to stoop to his/her level?

Do you ignore it and maybe even privately feel sorry for him/her (what I usually do), agree with it (openly sympathize with the naysayer), argue with it, counteract it with postitive, or retaliate with something just as negative? Or do you do something more creative?

It was staring me in the face in a very ugly way and I ignored it. Negative thoughts are now festering because I ignored it. I've thought about several comebacks that would have taught this person a lesson. But I nipped it and kept quiet. With certain people (which would be this person), I think that their negativity might need to be shut down; otherwise, they will come at me with more. With this person I either want to be left alone and happily ignored or have a normal conversation. I don't feel sorry for this person because I think the negativity was used towards me in a very manipulative way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 801 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 06:31 am
Some different thoughts:

You can have compassion for someone if you know and understand that they are going thru a difficult time and feelings have come out sideways. They are "venting" in a safe place. Unfortunately, you are in the way.

You can write this off as depression. Negativity, irritability are signs of depression. If this is now this person's temperment, encourage them to get some help.

Smile and ask, "Are you alright? - because you are lashing out at me for no reason.' Realize that anger is a real control mechinism. People rule by intimidation.

Refuse to get pulled into the drama. This person is using you as a whipping boy. Put distance between you and this "friend" because he/she is really quite toxic for you to be aroound. Think of your own mental state.

0 Replies