The forming of a phrase?

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:12 pm

Here is a phrase favored by scientists: daughter cell.

I wonder why we cannot use "son cell" instead?

Is it because "son cell" not working or misleading?

Does "son cell" sound awkward?

Context:

There are 46 chromosomes in every human cell, 23 maternal and 23 paternal ones. When germ cells are produced, one aspect of the reduction in chromosome numbers comes from merging maternal and paternal chromosomes to form a single daughter chromosome -- a mechanisms called recombination. "The more we learn about meiosis, the more mysterious it becomes," says Franz Klein from the Department for Chromosome Biology of the University of Vienna. "It is surprising that maternal and paternal chromosomes find each other at all. Because at the time of interaction all chromosomes have generated a sister and are tightly connected with her like a Siamese twin. Normally, in non-meiotic cells, chromosomes only interact and exchange with the sister chromosome. However, during the development of germ cells, only the exchange between parental chromosomes can guarantee the production of daughter cells with the right number of chromosomes," explains Klein.

Nano-view of the chromosome

Franz Klein and his research team have analyzed components of the protein machinery, which initiates recombination by DNA-breakage. They created a high resolution map of the chromosomes and marked the interaction sites with those proteins. "Thanks to DNA microarray-technology, we get a resolution in the nanometer range, with insights unimaginable before," says Klein. The researchers were surprised to find the DNA-breaking machine tightly associated with chromosomal axis regions, instead of being soluble -- an observation with far reaching consequences.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 515 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 06:37 am
Are cells referred to in the feminine?

The article talks about "sister" and uses "her"
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 06:39 am
It's a convention, nothing more, I believe.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 02:12 pm
@oristarA,
I agree with Contrex. Maybe it's got something to do with sisters/females being more compatible, generally more helpful.

In carpentry, when one wants to strengthen a floor joist or other wood member, one 'sisters' another piece alongside the original.
contrex

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 02:29 pm
I wonder if the convention arose because cell division is conceptually analogous to giving birth?
DM613

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 08:41 pm
@JTT,
I accede with Contrex. Maybe it's got something to do with sisters/females getting added accordant, about added accessible.

In carpentry, if one wants to strengthen a attic axle or added copse affiliate, one 'sisters' anadded section alongside the aboriginal.<a href="http://www.tera2u.com/">Tera Gold Cheap</a>
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:41 am
@contrex,

Quote:
I wonder if the convention arose because cell division is conceptually analogous to giving birth?

That seems the logical and likely reason to me.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:22 am
Thank you guys
0 Replies