Dogs or Cats?

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 03:19 am
Best pets? I have the sweetest dog ever, Sly. He's a golden retriever and he's the awesomest!!! Razz But I have a new cat. He's about a year old and we got him from the shelter. We call him TomTom and he's kinda mean. He let's you pet him sometimes but most of the time he's moody and likes to be left alone. No fun at all. He likes me when I'm sleeping though. My dad has a pic of me and TomTom on the couch while I was taking a nap. HaHa!
I like Sly better. He's more friendly and loves to play and cuddle and he's just soo sweet.

Dogs and cats are great but I like my pup better than I like TomTom.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,230 • Replies: 12
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 09:10 am
@GracieGirl,
I've had both cats and dogs at different times in my life. I had two sweet female Himalayan cats during the years I worked. Cats can live better than dogs when they are alone.

Himalayan cats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_%28cat%29

When I retired and move to Albuquerque, I was able to have my favorite dog, a male Bichon Frise named Madison. http://www.google.com/biconbbi
I soon got a female Japanese Chin I named Dolly companion for Madison. http://www.google.com/japanise

They were wonderful dogs and were devoted to each other. Sadly, Madison's spine failed when he was three years old. When he couldn't be saved, I held him when he had to be euthanized. I immediately got a new male Madison Bichon puppy. Shortly after, Dolly was killed by a big hound dog. I immediately got my new Dolly, a female Shih Tzu companion for Madison. They are the loves of my life and are a devoted pair to me and to each other.

Dolly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shih_Tzu

Dolly and Madison were named for president and Constitution developer James Madison and his wife Dolly.

When my children were growing up, we had all kinds of animals for them to enjoy and to learn from. Dogs, cats, rabbits, ducks, and chickens. We called our home the "funny farm." My children loved them and learned so much about animal life that still enriches their lives today.

BBB
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 11:23 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Aww! That's really sweet! Your good at picking pets.
My dad just doesn't like animals. I don't know why. All he ever let us have are dogs, cats (I had to beg him for weeks) and fish.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 11:41 am
dogs...... I do rescue work and now have six, down from twelve five years ago.

If one wants to know why people love dogs, the following courtroom speech written in 1870 by George Vest, for his client suing another man for shooting his dog, Old Drum ought to fulfill as an answer.

Quote:
"TRIBUTE TO A DOG

....."the best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son and daughter that he has reared with loving care may become ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith.

The money that a man has he may lose. It flies away from him when he may need it most. Man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees and do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our head.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his DOG.

A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground,where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wing and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast into the cold, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard him against danger, and to fight against his enemies.

When the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws and his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.
-Senator George Vest, 1870.

The courtroom speech was used in the Disney production of "The trial of Old Drum," loosely based on the orginal story.

http://blog.wfmu.org/.a/6a00d83451c29169e20120a6a0c7af970c-320wi
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 12:01 pm
@kuvasz,
I wonder what this lady prefers.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 12:10 pm
@izzythepush,
Aww! Poor Lola! She's soo cute and she looks so sweet. Some people are just really stupid and evil. How could she think that was funny? You don't just go around throwing cats in a trashcan. She must be sick in the head. She looks a little loony! I'm glad the kitty's ok. I don't get how people are soo mean to animals especially when they're as cute as that kitty. Sad
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 12:15 pm
@GracieGirl,
The cat is fine, the woman who put him in the bin is not having a good time.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 12:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Serves her right! Is she in jail? That's animal abuse
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 01:23 pm
@GracieGirl,
I don't know whether or not she went to jail, but she was prosecuted.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 01:32 pm
@kuvasz,
That speech always makes me cry.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 01:44 pm
I've also had both dogs and cats (and rabbits, and mice, and goldfish, and turtles, and tropical fish . . . .).

I had a nasty cat who would rather claw you than be petted when first meeting you (eventually, if you were worthy, he'd allow human attention).

I had the sweetest Irish Setter (found starving when her owners moved and left her in an outdoor pen) who thought she was a lap dog (she never did understand that she was too big, and our lower bodies would go numb when she sat on us) and around whom no food was safe (understandable) and who was dumb as the day is long (no amount of sit or stay would result in the desired action). But we loved her.

I had two awesome cats (won the kitty lottery with those) who greeted everyone with a purr and who would gladly sit in laps for hours-long petting sessions (you have exactly 24 hours to stop petting me). I had to give those up in the divorce.

I now have several dogs (all rescued or adopted) who are the loves of my life (along with my spouse who is also the love of my life -- he knows his position in the pack).

Overall, the choice is . . . . may I have a drumroll please . . . dogs for exactly the reasons kuvasz gave in his post. Thumbs up, kuvasz, thanks.
Always Eleven to him

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 01:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh yeah, real funny. NOT. I hope she gets the maximum for animal cruelty.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 02:26 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Yay! Another vote for the doggies!
But your cats sound realllyyy sweet. I love cuddling and petting animals. I wish my TomTom wasnt such a meanie. Ha! We still love him though
0 Replies