How'd ya get your profile name?

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:33 am
Mine is pretty obvious. My friends call me Gracie and my Dad and grandparents call me GracieGirl or GG. So I just used that as a username. How about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,580 • Replies: 31

djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:29 am
@GracieGirl,
i started on the net in the mid 90's, my initials are jd and i like music so i thought djjd would be a pretty good name, the first place i tried to use it (yahoo mail) i was told that djjd was already taken, they suggested something like djjd09, but i figured if i have to use a number it might as well be one that means something to me, so i picked my birth year 1962, and thus was born me, djjd62
George

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:33 am
My real name is Egroeg.
So I use "George", which is "Egroeg"" spelled backwards.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:41 am
@djjd62,
Oh! Nice! That's awesome. Smile
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:43 am
@George,
Hmm...Egroeg...How do you pronounce that? LoL! Just kidding Wink
Ha!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:43 am
@George,
I tried to use my real name- which is Rebecca- but it said that that name was already taken - although I've never seen another Rebecca on a2k.
I don't really use any variations of Rebecca (although there are alot of them - Becky, Bex, Becca, etc...) so to shorten it didn't occur to me.
I had a friend who named her daughter Aidan and I really liked that name - so I tried that- and as it was available, I took it.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 09:03 am
@GracieGirl,
I liked the saying about bumble bees being able to fly even if it wasn't built to do it. In other words, overcome any blocks facing you. The great love of my life used to tell me he loved my determination to succeed regardless of any challenges. So I chose the name of BumbleBeeBoogie.

The "bumblebee argument", in pseudoscience, states that the laws of aerodynamics prove that the bumblebee can't fly, as it does not have the required capacity (in terms of wing area or flapping speed). Consequently, therefore, science can be shown to be in error, providing a loophole for pseudoscientific "explanations".

Unfortunately (for the pseudoscientists), the laws do not forbid bumblebee flight; there are no papers that deny bumblebee flight, and no scientist has done so in a lecture, except, perhaps, ironically.

The origin of the statement is lost in the mists of time, but one version says that it was made by French entomologist August Magnan in 1934, based on calculations by his assistant, an engineer. Other versions suggest that the bumblebee could not fly according to the principles of fixed-wing aerodynamics; that is to say, it must flap its wings. In fact bumblebees simply flap harder than other insects, increasing the amplitude of their wing strokes to achieve more lift, and use a figure-of-eight wing motion to create low-pressure vortices to pull them up.

This argument is occasionally used by creationists to claim that it's impossible for bees to be a product of evolution.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 10:38 am
@aidan,
Cool! My new baby cousins name is Rebecca but we call her Becka. Very Happy
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 10:41 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Interesting. I never heard about the 'bumblebees aren't suppose to fly' thing before. Thanks BumbleBeeBoogie, I just learned something new! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 11:23 am
The great mythic hero of Irish legend was Cu Chulainn (Pronounced "Coo-Cullen," no matter what the smarty pants linguists say). Cu Chulainn means "the Hound of Cullen." His given name was Setanta (which probably means "the pathfinder"). This passage from the Wikipedia article explains how he became "the Hound of Cullen":

Quote:
The stories of Cú Chulainn's childhood are told in a flashback sequence in Táin Bó Cúailnge. As a small child, living in his parents' house on Muirthemne Plain, he begs to be allowed to join the boy-troop at Emain Macha. However, he sets off on his own, and when he arrives at Emain he runs onto the playing field without first asking for the boys' protection, being unaware of the custom. The boys take this as a challenge and attack him, but he has a ríastrad [a mythical ability of the warrior] and beats them single-handed. Conchobar puts a stop to the fight and clears up the misunderstanding, but no sooner has Sétanta put himself under the boys' protection than he chases after them, demanding they put themselves under his protection.

Culann the smith invites Conchobar to a feast at his house. Before going, Conchobar goes to the playing field to watch the boys play hurling. He is so impressed by Sétanta's performance that he asks him to join him at the feast. Sétanta has a game to finish, but promises to follow the king later. But Conchobar forgets, and Culann lets loose his ferocious hound to protect his house. When Sétanta arrives, the enormous hound attacks him, but he kills it in self-defence, in one version by smashing it against a standing stone, in another by driving a sliotar (hurling ball) down its throat with his hurley. Culann is devastated by the loss of his hound, so Sétanta promises he will rear him a replacement, and until it is old enough to do the job, he himself will guard Culann's house. The druid Cathbad announces that his name henceforth will be Cú Chulainn – "Culann's Hound".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Cuslayshound.jpg

That's not quite the version with which i am familiar, but Wikipedia provides a source which lists its sources. Táin Bó Cúailnge (pronounced, roughly "chain voh Coolney," it means "Cooley's Cattle Raid") is the oldest, great mythic cyle of Irish legend which treats of men and their deeds, as opposed to the gods. The Men of Ulster had ridiculed and failed to show the requisite hospitality to a "witch," (who was actually the goddess Macha, in disguise and pregnant at the time) who cursed them with the wasting sickness at the time of their greatest need. The King and Queen of Connacht (the west of Ireland . . . Ulster is the north) had quarreled, and in their dispute, the Queen's bull, embarrassed to be owned by a woman, slips off and joins the King's herd. This leaves the Queen, Medb (pronounced, roughly, Maeve--it is often spelled that way), with less wealth than the King, Ailill, an important consideration in ancient Keltic society--a woman takes over the household if her wealth is greater than her husband's. Some warriors of Ulster, lead by Fergus, had gone into exile in Connacht, and into the service of Medb. Keeping the story short, Medb sends some messengers off to obtain the great bull of Cooley, and they get drunk and screw up the negotiations. So, Medb orders Fergus to invade Ulster and seize the bull. Against his better judgment, Fergus agrees, and as this is the time of their greatest need, the Men of Ulster fall ill, and cannot defend themselves.

But Setanta did not live with the King at the time of the curse, so he is the only one who can defend Ulster. The story is a long one, and Cu Chulainn (Setanta) fights duel after duel with Medb's heroes. Since he cannot defeat an entire army, he defends each ford by challenging the champions of Medb's army to single combat. Eventually, the Men of Ulster recover from their sickness and come to fight the invaders. Cu Chulainn is killed in the final battle, just seventeen years of age.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Cuinbattle.jpg
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 11:29 am
@Setanta,
You read alot don't you? You sound really smart. Are you into Greek mythology and that sort of thing? I always really liked Athena! Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 11:33 am
@GracieGirl,
If you enjoy Greek mythology, i recommend Mythology by Edith Hamilton. It tells the tales of Greek, Roman and Norse mythology.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 11:34 am
@GracieGirl,
Athena was a childish bitch! Read the story of Arachne sometime.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:09 pm
@Setanta,
Was Not! Athena was awesome! She was a fighter, a warrior and super smart! She was born with armour, how awesome is that?! She's one of the strongest and bestest woman gods! Plus she was nice sometimes. She helped Odysyeus get home to his wife and son after the war even though Odysyeus was a cheater and super big-headed! And she told her dad, Zeus, to help him! She was the best! She wasnt childish, she was a strong women! Some boys are just don't like it when girls are better than boys at everything. Razz (pokes tongue out)

My dad has the book 'Mythology' and we talk about it. I tried reading it but some parts are boring so I'd rather my dad just talk with me about it and tell me the stories after he reads them.

I've heard of Arachne, some people think she's better than Athena.....I don't
roger

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:18 pm
@GracieGirl,
Good for you!

I think I got Roger from my father who was in radio and electronics. Roger was a word indicating compliance, which is probably what he was hoping for in a son. That's why it's not spelled Rodger, by the way.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:33 pm
@roger,
Thank you! Very Happy
Oh! Cool! I'm guessing your the son and don't compliance? (whatever that means, sorry I'm in a lazy mood and I don't feel like googling it, besides, google definitions are always complicated and I almost never understand anyway Very Happy )
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:41 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
. . . She was born with armour, how awesome is that?! . . .

Not for her mom.
Ouch.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:46 pm
@George,
She didn't have no mom . . . she was born from a thought of Zeus, and she sprang (sprung? sprangded?) full blown from Zeus' forehead--armor, spear, owl . . . everything . . .
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:51 pm
@Setanta,
Yep! And she did it GRACEfully! HaHa! Armor and all! Very Happy

Besides, who needs a mom! I don't have one LoL!
That's another reason why I like Athena, we have that in common. But didn't Zeus sorta pick a mom for her? Isn't that how it went? I forgot..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
http://i54.tinypic.com/atm1oy.jpg

I really like Athena .... until I saw that pic in the British Museum.
0 Replies