How'd ya get your profile name?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:05 pm
@Setanta,
Well as Setanta (who really got his name from a defunct sports channel in the UK) wouldn't just tell you how he chose his name, he had to use Wikipedia, so will I.

Quote:
Nova Express is a 1964 novel by William S. Burroughs. It was written using the cut-up method, developed by Burroughs with Brion Gysin, of enfolding snippets of different texts into the novel. It is the third book in The Nova Trilogy, preceded by The Soft Machine and The Ticket That Exploded. Burroughs considered the trilogy a "sequel" or "mathematical" continuation of Naked Lunch.

Nova Express was nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1965.

Nova Express is a social commentary on human and machine control of life. The Nova Mob—Sammy the Butcher, Izzy the Push, The Subliminal Kid, and others—are viruses, "defined as the three-dimensional coordinate point of a controller."[1] "which invade the human body and in the process produce language."[2] These Nova Criminals represent society, culture, and government, and have taken control. Inspector Lee and the rest of the Nova Police are left fighting for the rest of humanity in the power struggle. "The Nova Police can be compared to apomorphine, a regulating instance that need not continue and has no intention of continuing after its work is done."[3] The police are focused on "first-order addictions of junkies, homosexuals, dissidents, and criminals; if these criminals vanish, the police must create more in order to justify their own survival."[4] The Nova Police depend upon the Nova Criminals for existence; if the criminals cease to exist, so do the police. "They act like apomorphine, the nonaddictive cure for morphine addiction that Burroughs used and then promoted for many years."[5]

Burroughs not only uses the Nova Police as a function for catching the Nova Criminals, he also adds satire about his own life and addictions. Control is the main theme of the novel, and Burroughs attempts to use language to break down the walls of culture, the biggest control machine. He uses inspector Lee to express his own thoughts about the world. "The purpose of my writing is to expose and arrest Nova Criminals. In Naked Lunch, Soft Machine and Nova Express I show who they are and what they are doing and what they will do if they are not arrested. [...] With your help we can occupy The Reality Studio and retake their universe of Fear Death and Monopoly."[6] As Burroughs battles with the self and what is human, he finds that language is the only way to maintain dominance over the "powerful instruments of control," which are the most prevalent enemies of human society.

[edit] CriticismWhile Naked Lunch was an initial shock to the literary community, Nova Express was considered the end of Burroughs’s stylistic experiment and of the Nova Trilogy. The novel received more praise on its own, as it was often compared to the other books in the trilogy and Naked Lunch. Eric Mottram stated that although "Burroughs’s repetitive narcotic and homoerotic fantasies become tedious in sections of his third novel ... it is from these obsessions that his most powerful work develops."[7]

Reviewing the novel for a genre audience, Judith Merril compared Nova Express to "the surreality of certain dreams, or the intense fascination of of a confusion of new impressions in real life."[8]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:45 pm
When I first dreamt of being published, I wanted a pseudonym. So, I chose Blythe, because I love the beauty and persona of Ann Blyth, an actor from some old movies. Then my mind ran off a series of names, until I hit on "Edgar." It had the right sound and 'feel.' But, I only use it on various web sites. When my current project gets published, no one will know on able2know, because I am not sharing the new name I have chosen.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
So, if and when you get a publishing date, you won't share it with A2K?
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cool! What's a pseudonym?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:07 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So, if and when you get a publishing date, you won't share it with A2K?

Not at all.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:08 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Cool! What's a pseudonym?

A pseudonym (literally, "false name") is a name that a person (or, sometimes, a group) assumes for a particular purpose and that differs from his or her original orthonym (or "true name").[1] They include stage names, noms de plume, aliases, gamer identification, anagrams, Graecisms, Latinisations, mystifications, nicknames, and names or orders or popes.[2]

Pseudonyms are often used to hide an individual's real identity, as with writers' pen names, graffiti artists' tags, resistance fighters' or terrorists' noms de guerre, and computer hackers' handles. Actors, musicians, and other performers sometimes use stage names, for example, to mask their ethnic backgrounds. Employers sometimes require employees to use assigned names to help sell products; for example, a company that does business mostly in one country but locates a call center in another country may require its employees to assume names common in the former country in an effort to draw a more positive or less negative reaction from current and/or prospective customers.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why not? Don't you want people on here to read your book?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Why not? Don't you want people on here to read your book?

I want to see if the readers among us recognize me without being clued.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh! Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
That would suggest you've already been published.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:53 pm
@GracieGirl,
My parents were James and Catherine, That’s where the JC came from.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 06:06 pm
@jcboy,
Aww! That's sweet! Smile
0 Replies