the cocks of his hat ?

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 10:13 pm

What's the cock?

Context:

All the time he lived with us the captain made no change whatever in his dress but to buy some stockings from a hawker. One of the cocks of his hat having fallen down, he let it hang from that day forth, though it was a great annoyance when it blew. I remember the appearance of his coat, which he patched himself upstairs in his room, and which, before the end, was nothing but patches. He never wrote or received a letter, and he never spoke with any but the neighbours, and with these, for the most part, only when drunk on rum. The great sea-chest none of us had ever seen open.
More:

http://robert-louis-stevenson.classic-literature.co.uk/treasure-island/ebook-page-04.asp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 5,926 • Replies: 14
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 10:46 pm
@oristarA,
I've searched the pics of the "captain," no clue has been found.

See the pic below:

http://images.haokan577.com/VODPIC/MainysVod/2006-11-26_baod.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 10:56 pm
In the 18th and early 19th centuries, one of the most popular men's hat styles featured a dome over the head itself, with a wide brim around it. . The brim was pinned up to the dome over the head, rather than remaining flat. In the 1700's, the brim was pinned up in three places, giving the hat a triangular shape. This was called a "three-cornered hat". The Americans in our Revolutionary War are oftenb pictured wearing three-cornered hats. I think Smetana did a classical music piece called "The Three-Cornered Hat.

Sometime around the start of the 1800s, the style changed to a hat pinned up on either side, a two-cornered hat, often called a bicorne ("two-horned")hat. At first this was worn with the corners to either side, like your ears. Later the fashionbecame to wear it with one pointing forward and the other pointing back. Napoleon in particular liked bicornes. This was also known as a "cocked hat", with each of the flaps pinned up being a cock. So the guy in the quote is so sloppy one of his cocks comes undone and he just lets it flap.

Later in the first half of the 20th century, when almost all American men wore hats, my dad told me that it wasw only the stuffiest, most staid and conventional men who wore their hats sitting straight on top of their heads with the brim level and the peak pointing forward. Younger and more macho types always wore their hats with a tilt to one side, sometimes a little bit sometimes a lot. You coild also wear it with the brim tilted down in front, or pointing up with the hat more toward the back of your hat. This was called "cocking the hat", but it probably didn't have anything to do with the cocks of the 19th century hat.

How you cocked your hat in the 20-th century said something about your self-image, but I was too young to get the code for that that my dad knew. Look at pictures of soldiers in WWII in group pictures or when not on parade, and you can see some of the various cocks.

Picture of bicorne, the orgiinal "cocked hat"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Detail_from_a_painting_of_Napoleon.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 11:00 pm
the guy wearing the hat in the movie poster is wearing a 3-cornered hat.
oristarA

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 11:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

In the 18th and early 19th centuries, one of the most popular men's hat styles featured a dome over the head itself, with a wide brim around it. . The brim was pinned up to the dome over the head, rather than remaining flat. In the 1700's, the brim was pinned up in three places, giving the hat a triangular shape. This was called a "three-cornered hat". The Americans in our Revolutionary War are oftenb pictured wearing three-cornered hats. I think Smetana did a classical music piece called "The Three-Cornered Hat.

Sometime around the start of the 1800s, the style changed to a hat pinned up on either side, a two-cornered hat, often called a bicorne ("two-horned")hat. At first this was worn with the corners to either side, like your ears. Later the fashionbecame to wear it with one pointing forward and the other pointing back. Napoleon in particular liked bicornes. This was also known as a "cocked hat", with each of the flaps pinned up being a cock. So the guy in the quote is so sloppy one of his cocks comes undone and he just lets it flap.

Later in the first half of the 20th century, when almost all American men wore hats, my dad told me that it wasw only the stuffiest, most staid and conventional men who wore their hats sitting straight on top of their heads with the brim level and the peak pointing forward. Younger and more macho types always wore their hats with a tilt to one side, sometimes a little bit sometimes a lot. You coild also wear it with the brim tilted down in front, or pointing up with the hat more toward the back of your hat. This was called "cocking the hat", but it probably didn't have anything to do with the cocks of the 19th century hat.

How you cocked your hat in the 20-th century said something about your self-image, but I was too young to get the code for that that my dad knew. Look at pictures of soldiers in WWII in group pictures or when not on parade, and you can see some of the various cocks.

Picture of bicorne, the orgiinal "cocked hat"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Detail_from_a_painting_of_Napoleon.jpg

Excellent!

Thank you.

PS. the 1800s reads as the eighteen hundreds?

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 11:18 pm
yes, a.k.a. the 19th century.
Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 11:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
Imagine folding it flat and putting it under your arm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicorne
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 11:33 pm
As everything else culturally conditioned does, the way you wear your hat keeps changing. Here's a video on how to wear the almost universal baseball cap:

Long John Silver wouldn't have the first clue.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 12:23 am
Which reminds me of the old German folk song :Mein Hut der hat drei Ecken", which we learned in high school German class, and which I have remembered for the decades since, except I just found out, thanks to Google that I remembered some of the words wrong. Here's a video of it, auf Deutsch.

In English,

"My hat, it has three corners.
Three corners has my hat.
And if it does not have three corners,
Well, then, it's not my hat."

Not destined to take its place in the world's greatest hat-related literature, but still a pleasant little ditty.

With Google and youTube you can do anything.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 02:58 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I've searched the pics of the "captain," no clue has been found.

Try searching for Billy Bones.

http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/3/3f/Billybones.jpg
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsC/4002-19986.gif
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 04:47 am
@MontereyJack,

1800s = eighteen hundreds?

Quote:

Well it could be, but I think most people would think of it as the period between 1800 and 1810
contrex

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:06 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

[EDIT] x-posted with McTag

I was brought up to refer to decades so that the 1800s were the "eighteen hundreds", i.e. the decade from 1800 to 1809. The following decades were the 1810s, 1820s, right up to the 1890s (the "naughty nineties"). It always strikes me as careless and kind of wrong the way some people these days call the whole 19th century "the 1800s", but I suppose I will just have to put up with it. I don't have to do it myself.

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 06:11 am
@McTag,
I can't agree with this--maybe it's a difference of usage from the American language. In my experience. when an American says "the 1800s," she means any time within the entire period from 1800 to 1899.
McTag

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:01 am
@Setanta,

I acknowledge the difference in usage.

But as contrex points out, we often speak of the 1930s or the 1820s etc, and so it is useful, as well as quite logical, to restrict the 1800s to a decade, as we do for the others.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:08 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I was brought up to refer to decades so that the 1800s were the "eighteen hundreds", i.e. the decade from 1800 to 1809.

<snip>

It always strikes me as careless and kind of wrong the way some people these days call the whole 19th century "the 1800s", but I suppose I will just have to put up with it. I don't have to do it myself.

time moves on eh

I agree with you as to how it "should" be, but we're dinosaurs Wink
0 Replies