A semester isn't that long? Right?

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:28 am
Alright so my boyfriend and I have been together for around 6 months, and everything's working out really well. Problem is, he leaves for college at the end of the month, he's going to somewhere that's around 3 hours away, while I'll be a senior in high school. However, I'm graduating midterm, and going to the same college that he's at next semester. So with the way our breaks work out and everything, we'll be long distance from september to november. That shouldn't be impossible, right? I trust him, he trusts me. He's never cheated on a girlfriend, although I am his first real relationship.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,767 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 11:41 am
No, it isn't that long.

However, because you two are so young and have not experienced either college or being a hs senior before, why not just agree to live your own lives and see what happens? Two very important years are coming up - for both of you.

I was in the same situation years ago. The biggest mistake in my life was agreeing to "wait" for my boyfriend while he went into the service. I lost out on a lot of experiences and chances to really grow my senior year.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 12:32 pm
@itswhatever2012,
I don't mean to upset you, but what is going to separate you is not three hours, but drastically different life experiences. Despite how you feel, you might do better to set him free. If he comes back to you at Thanksgiving maybe you have a chance, but in the meantime you have no guilt when finding a date for homecoming.

You should probably read the entire article, but here's an excerpt.
Quote:
College kid coming home? Excitedly anticipating a reunion with his or her high school beau? Despite the large number of high school sweethearts who try to sustain a long-distance relationship at college, the sad, unromantic truth is that most of those relationships end in break-ups. In fact, so many freshman couples split over Thanksgiving weekend, college administrators have actually given the phenomenon a name. They call it the Turkey Drop.

Here's another story from NPR.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 01:31 pm
@itswhatever2012,
It is not impossible, it all depends upon how hot you two are for each other. I doubt that it will work unless you get together once in awhile...ideally sometimes in your hometown and sometimes at the University. You cant push very hard for the face time because that first semester at U is a heady time with so much new to experience and so many new people to get to know, so obligations to the GF back home are quickly resented. Here again a lot depends upon how badly he wants you.
0 Replies

harddisk01

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:04 am
@itswhatever2012,
Helo
thanks for ur comment..
thanks
Author
0 Replies