What are some cartoons they should have made but didn't?

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

You're WRONG:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodsy_the_Owl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_the_bear

and who cares? They are FICTIONAL.

Was the Italian man doing an injustice by portraying a Native American? No - he wasn't BEING RACIST in his portrayal.

Did you happen to click on those 2 links you supplied? Obviously not.

If you did, you would notice the heading in wikipedia states "Woodsy Owl" It says underneath "redirected from "woodsy THE owl" because it's incorrect. If you click on the 2nd one in wikipedia, it states "Smoky Bear", and underneath is says "redirected from "smoky THE bear" because it's incorrect.
Go ahead, click on it and look.

This is what as known as "shooting ones self in the foot" or being "hoisted by your own petard"

As far as the Sicilian, I'm sure I never said the word racist.

In fact, according to the link below (you might want to click on it also, and actually read it) it was the actual NA's who didn't feel good about DeCorti playing that part, as he was playing up a stereotye "not appreciated by NA people", and also, IMHO because he was cashing in on pretending to be something he's not. Did I mention he denied his real heritage? He either wasn't proud of his own background, or realized he could make more money playing and actually pretending in real life to be an Indian.

A lot of actors who's appearance looks like a particular group of people not their own play those parts. It's a job. But they don't lie or deny who they really are.

and who cares? What, if you don't care about something, no one else should?

They are fictional?

Yeah, like your cartoon characters on which you impose strict moral codes?
They're just fictional, who cares?
chai2

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

IT WAS RACIST - that's the point. He was making fun of blacks.

He wasn't making fun of blacks.

Relations with blacksSee also: African-American – Jewish relations
Jolson first heard African-American music, such as jazz, blues, and ragtime, played in the back alleys of New Orleans, Louisiana. He enjoyed singing the new jazz-style of music, and it's not surprising that he often performed in blackface, especially songs he made popular, like Swanee, My Mammy, and Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody. In most of his movie roles, however, including a singing hobo in Hallelujah, I'm a Bum or a jailed convict in Say It With Songs, he chose to act without using blackface. In the 1927 film The Jazz Singer, he performed only a few songs, including My Mammy, in blackface, although there was nothing in the storyline that required a black singer.

As a Jewish immigrant and America's most famous and highest paid entertainer, he may have had the incentive and resources to help break down racial attitudes. For instance, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) during its peak in the early 1920s, included about 15% of the nation's eligible voting population, 4-5 million men.[19] While D.W. Griffith created the blockbuster movie The Birth of a Nation, which glorified white supremacy and the KKK, Jolson chose to star in The Jazz Singer, which defied racial bigotry by introducing American black music to white audiences worldwide.[1]

While growing up, he had many black friends, including Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson, who later became a legendary tap dancer."[10] As early as 1911, at the age of 25, he was already noted for fighting discrimination on the Broadway stage and later in his movies:[20]

"at a time when black people were banned from starring on the Broadway stage,"[21] he promoted the play by black playwright Garland Anderson,[22] which became the first production with an all-black cast ever produced on Broadway;
he brought an all-black dance team from San Francisco that he tried to feature in his Broadway show;[20]
he demanded equal treatment for Cab Calloway, with whom he performed a number of duets in his movie The Singing Kid.
he was "the only white man allowed into an all black nightclub in Harlem;"[20]
Jolson once read in the newspaper that songwriters Eubie Blake and Noble Sissle, neither of whom he had ever heard of, were refused service at a Connecticut restaurant because of their race. He immediately tracked them down and took them out to dinner "insisting he'd punch anyone in the nose who tried to kick us out!"[23] Subsequent to their meeting, according to biographer Al Rose, Jolson and Eubie became friends. Rose writes:

This didn’t have anything to do with the theater, because they never worked together. Rather, they both had a love of prize fighting and used to go to boxing matches together, engaging in jocose discussion of the relative merits of Negro with Jewish pugilists. They would occasionally wager a bottle of whisky on these bouts.[24]
Jeni LeGon, a black female tap dance star,[25] recalls her life as a film dancer: "But of course, in those times it was a 'black-and-white world.' You didn't associate too much socially with any of the stars. You saw them at the studio, you know, nice — but they didn't invite. The only ones that ever invited us home for a visit was Al Jolson and Ruby Keeler."[26] Brian Conley, former star of the 1995 British play Jolson, stated during an interview, "I found out Jolson was actually a hero to the black people of America. At his funeral, black actors lined the way, they really appreciated what he’d done for them."[27] Noble Sissle, then president of the Negro Actors' Guild, represented that organization at his funeral.[28]

Jolson's physical expressiveness also affected the music styles of some black performers. Music historian Bob Gulla writes that "the most critical influence in Jackie Wilson's young life was Al Jolson." He points out that Wilson's ideas of what a stage performer could do to keep their act an "exciting" and "thrilling performance" was shaped by Jolson's acts, "full of wild writhing and excessive theatrics." Wilson felt that Jolson, along with Louis Jordan, another of his idols, "should be considered the stylistic forefathers of rock and roll."[29]

According to the St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture: "Almost single-handedly, Jolson helped to introduce African-American musical innovations like jazz, ragtime, and the blues to white audiences.... [and] paved the way for African-American performers like Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Fats Waller, and Ethel Waters.... to bridge the cultural gap between black and white America."[1] Jazz historian Amiri Baraka wrote, "the entrance of the white man into jazz...did at least bring him much closer to the Negro." He points out that "the acceptance of jazz by whites marks a crucial moment when an aspect of black culture had become an essential part of American culture."[30]:151

In a recent interview, Clarence 'Frogman' Henry, one of the most popular and respected jazz singers of New Orleans, said, "Jolson? I loved him. I think he did wonders for the blacks and glorified entertainment."[31]:307

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:34 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

You're WRONG:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodsy_the_Owl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_the_bear

and who cares? They are FICTIONAL.

Was the Italian man doing an injustice by portraying a Native American? No - he wasn't BEING RACIST in his portrayal.

Did you happen to click on those 2 links you supplied? Obviously not.

YES I DID:

FROM THOSE LINKS:

Smokey Bear (often called Smokey the Bear or simply Smokey) is a mascot of the United States Forest Service created to educate the public about the dangers of forest fires.

In case you DIDN'T notice you stickler Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:43 pm
@chai2,
Secular people want to give cartoon characters love interests without the characters being married because they DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT. THAT IS THEIR BUSINESS. I AM NOT DOING THAT.

I AM NOT GOING TO USE SEX TO SELL KIDDIE CARTOONS OR COMICS. IT IS NOT NECESSARY. I AM NOT GOING TO INCLUDE ELEMENTS OF WITCHCRAFT OR SOME FORM OF DEVILRY IN MY CARTOONS/COMICS EITHER.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:44 pm
@chai2,
Did you read my comment?:

http://able2know.org/topic/175264-2#post-4768646

Obviously not.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:46 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

It was the actual NA's who didn't feel good about DeCorti playing that part, as he was playing up a stereotye "not appreciated by NA people", and also, IMHO because he was cashing in on pretending to be something he's not. Did I mention he denied his real heritage? He either wasn't proud of his own background, or realized he could make more money playing and actually pretending in real life to be an Indian.

A lot of actors who's appearance looks like a particular group of people not their own play those parts. It's a job. But they don't lie or deny who they really are.

Really? If that was the case, why couldn't they get a REAL Native American to play the part?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 03:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
Dr. Poo is way better than anything you've done.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 04:28 pm
@izzythepush,
It is UNDERGROUND DRECK, RUBBISH, TRIPE. NOT FUNNY IN THE LEAST BIT.

NOT EVERYONE THINKS BRITISH HUMOR IS FUNNY.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 04:29 pm
@chai2,
When DeNiro played Scarface in a movie, did Cubans get OFFENDED?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 04:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
I was forgetting your mastery of the absurd.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 05:04 pm
@izzythepush,
I am not being BIASED - some people don't find BRITISH humor funny. But the ENGLISH probably say the same think about Americans.
jcboy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 05:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I am not being BIASED - some people don't find BRITISH humor funny.

Nobody thinks you’re funny either, they just like poking fun at you because you’re such an easy target.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 05:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Did you read my comment?:

http://able2know.org/topic/175264-2#post-4768646

Obviously not.

What?
That Dr. Poo isn't funny?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 06:35 pm
@chai2,
Mike Mikers played an ENGLISHMAN, a BELGIAN, a SCOTSMAN and a DUTCHMAN in the Austin Powers movies - how was that any different?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 06:46 pm
@izzythepush,
SOME of the stuff the English make is funny - THAT particular cartoon was NOT funny.
jcboy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 06:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
What about Bert & Ernie?

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8670/bandeve.jpg
chai2

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Mike Mikers played an ENGLISHMAN, a BELGIAN, a SCOTSMAN and a DUTCHMAN in the Austin Powers movies - how was that any different?

Different from Dr. Poo?

I don't know, I've never seen AP or read Dr. Poo.
chai2

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:08 pm
@jcboy,
You're very bad tonight Morgan.
jcboy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:09 pm
@chai2,
lol Marco made me do it.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:34 pm
@chai2,