Project Runway--Summer 2011

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 03:40 am
It's back. I'm gonna give it one more chance. Still pissed from last season.

The first show had an interesting challenge. Liked it.

And the person I thought should win won. The person I thought should lose went home. Stranger things have been known to happen.

I think the guy who won today is going to be tough to beat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 6,891 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 05:51 am
@Roberta,
I haven't seen it yet, I wait for the Lifetime programs to either go to the various Internet locations or this blasted hit and miss HD on Demand thing (it's not an on Demand pay item, it's automatic with the HD box with Time Warner).

I did a quick review in a search and see some interesting contestants, per their biogarphy. I like the idea of the older man being there, it should be interesting to see how he handles the drama or maybe he'll be the instigator of some high drama.

Bad side is Michael Kors. I didn't like him before and I like him less now. Two reasons.

First is the horrendous store he put in on Bleecker last year. Having it there is bad enough but it's in such a drab building. Ugh!

Second reason of not liking Kors is much more important and speaks to what he truly is. The boyfriend of a young man I've gotten to know, was in an earlier season of Project Runway and did rather well. He didn't win, he came in second. On the morning show runs he and Kors appeared and Kors said that the young man was very talented and he was giving him a job, he wanted to scoop up that talent and not let anyone else get near.

The morning shows finished and as can be guessed, Kors reneged. Not a problem for the man who was rejected, he worked elsewhere for a time and then stepped up to the plate and is now working on his own and making indentations into the crowded world of fashion.

Personally I know next to next to nothing (yes, that little) about what constitutes fashion, (I often use twister seals to keep my hair in standard hippyized ponytail and wear socks on my hands instead of gloves) but I like watching these competition shows. Project Runway has offered some nice outfits over the years and some really dreadful things; which, except for the judges nobody seems to like. I mainly watch for the interaction of the contestants and the comments from the judges and how the contestants then respond to that. I do the same with cooking shows, lord knows, I'm not going to actually prepare any of those dishes. I just like watching the people. I enjoy screaming or at least muttering obscenities at the judges when they don't vote my way.

It's good entertainment, that's why I will be watching Project Runway, I missed last season entirely...the move from Bravo still stings; but, this season I plan to (in the words of Tim Gunn) "Make it happen".

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 04:13 pm
@Roberta,
Well, I wasn't gonna watch after last year's fiasco, but who am I kidding, I love fashion (and Tim Gunn). Loved the designer who won last night -- hope he sticks around for a while, plus he had the most compelling background story. Their first challenge was fun! I'm glad the gal who just learned to sew didn't disappoint -- Heidi might have beat her up lol.
Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 04:19 pm
@Irishk,
Irish, I was planning a boycott as well. I'll give it a chance.

I wouldn't want Heidi after me.

Irishk

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 04:33 pm
@Roberta,
She's fierce, but the two of us could probably take her! (As long as Seal wasn't around lol)!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 08:32 pm
@Roberta,
Finally watched Episode 1 tonight. I was surprised by the winner. When I saw his dress on the dress form I hated it. the colors looked awful. But when it came down the runway it looked fabulous. It must be a lighting thing. I still thought the woman from Trinidad was going to win. She'd never sewn pants before? Come on! How could she do that?

The three on the bottom could have all gone home. I thought the shorts guy should have. The one who did go home did make his model look pretty schlumpy, though.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 01:02 am
I thought the winning outfit was good, but I thought the birdseed dress was better. The top on the winning outfit was bulky and ill fitting. I also very much liked the fish gravel outfit.

I didn't think that the guy who went home should have. I thought it was a toss up between the puppy pee pad dress and the woman who started out using the plastic collars and ended up using cardboard.

Bert is no mensch. Deciding not to even try because he had immunity seems like a cop out. Very disappointing. I had the feeling that I wasn't the only one who was disappointed in him. He may have done himself irreparable damage, reputation-wise--with the judges and with the other designers.

Irishk

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 12:25 pm
@Roberta,
Ditto on ALL your points.

<3 Tim...
Quote:
"My brain's starting to bleed. That looks like a tire track"

Laughing
Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 03:27 pm
@Irishk,
Irish, You agree with me on everything?

We should be running the show.
Irishk

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 04:50 pm
@Roberta,
Yep. Every single one. I've never seen Tim get so choked up this early in a season, so he probably agrees with you, too. Heidi got outvoted on the winner by Nina and Michael Kors (who were inconsistent in their criticisms, I thought).
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:37 pm
@Roberta,
I'm behind again. Watched it last night and agree with you both except on the winner. The birdseed dress was too short. He kind of copped out on the skirt part. After spending so much time on the neckline decoration, I think he ran out of time for the rest.

I don't know what's up with Bert. He seems like a pretty negative guy. He worked for some big time design houses like Halston. He went through some hard substance abuse days, maybe he's not ready for a comeback.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 09:31 am
I still like Bert, though. Over the seasons, I've been kind of waiting for someone to rebel against one of the 'store' challenges...pet store/party store/grocery store (didn't they do a military surplus store once)? Plus, he has the cutest dog EVER!

I'm hoping this week they'll finally get to Mood and we'll get to see them work with some real fabric.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 09:46 am
@Roberta,
Fish... gravel...outfit. (Trying to wrap my mind around that one.)

Have completely lost track of this, what channel, what time, anything. Would like to watch if it's somewhat better than it's been, though.
Irishk

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:00 am
@sozobe,
These were the top three for last week. Winner is on the right, fish gravel top is in the middle (it was one of my favorites, also). Birdseed dress is on the left (shoulda won).
http://brain-sugar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/project-runway.png
Sturgis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:01 am
@sozobe,
It's on the Lifetime network (not sure what channel that is where you are sozobe) airs first on Thursday night, gets shown again several times before the following week.

They're back in New York which is supposed to be a boost. I only caught episode 1 so far, it's a pain to get the programs for me, I need to hit the HD on demand (Time Warner digital gives them there for free while not including it in my basic "El Paquetazo" package....weird way of doing things since the HD is not an extra cost), that means waiting a few days after the show first airs, I can live with that. I usually load up, which means I wait until I can do two episodes before watching. I do the same with the cooking competition shows.
sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:10 am
@Irishk,
Thanks! I found the Lifetime site shortly after I posted and have been looking at stuff.

The paler birdseed dress made the model look really lumpy I thought. Not kind to her boobs at all. And the back view was really unflattering.

Fish gravel was very creative! They glued it on to muslin or something? What was the black skirt made out of?

The winning birdseed one is Alexander McQueen-esque...

Not sure if I can watch tmw at 9 PM but might try to catch a re-run. Are they on at any specific times? (Fridays at 11 AM, or whatever?)
Irishk

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 10:26 am
@sozobe,
I can't remember what pet-store item he used to make that black skirt. The winning top was a doggy bed and the skirt is hamster cage stuff glued onto muslin (as is the birdseed dress -- the seeds at the neckline were especially tedious to handle). The top in the middle is clear aquarium rocks (sparkled more on the runway) and the judges LOVED his use of color in the design, as well as the design pattern itself.

If you missed last season, good on you. It was a disaster. This one looks more promising -- there's a girl from Trinidad who just learned to sew that Heidi had to really fight for and she's doing awesome!!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 11:26 am
@Sturgis,
Surgis, I'm a cooking competition fanatic. Chopped, Top Chef, next food network star (don't remember the actual name), etc. Wish I could taste some of those meals.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 12:29 pm
@sozobe,
You can watch full-episodes and catch up here:
http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 02:15 pm
@Green Witch,
No captions...