Why do some Asian Americans object to affirmative action?

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:54 pm
I am curious. I was on an Asian forum and some Asians were objecting to affirmative action. Affirmative action protects people of color and minorities.

Asian Americans are both so why the objection?

Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 05:19 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
I am curious. I was on an Asian forum and some Asians were objecting to affirmative action. Affirmative action protects people of color and minorities.

Asian Americans are both so why the objection?

According to the item attached from Asian American Alliance, there are good and bad things about affirmative action...well, that's not exactly news; but, it helps explain why some are against.
www.asianamericanalliance.com/Asian-Americans-and-Affirmative-Action.html

Notably check the fourth paragraph which states:
Quote:
In another study completed by Michigan State University a student showed that the abolishment of affirmative action in some universities actually helped the cause of admission for Asian Americans. Universities in Florida, California,
and other states like Michigan have seen a rise in their Asian Americans attending high level education schools. It seems that the entrance to these universities like Cornell have been based not on the number of Asian Americans needed to be under the rules of affirmative action, but are based on their merit. In other words when the universities abolished the affirmative action they started taking on more Asian Americans than whites
. This change is easy to see for a reason why. First the university was having to make sure they had the right amount of students in their school per race, not necessarily based on merit. As this changed the merit won out. It is well known that white students lack the motivation for top grades; where as the Asian Americans in most cases will have a GPA of 4.0 or close to it.

Affirmative Action has long been shown to be helpful for some and detrimental to others, it's a prime reason why many object to it, citing lowered standards, not only in educational facilities; but, in workplaces as well. There have been numerous cases which have gone to the courts where an individual has far exceeded the requirements for a job; but, because they weren't the minority, they were denied employment whereas an individual that did perhaps 40% less in testing results was given a job.

If you want to learn more regarding Asian American views on Affirmative Action, enter the information into a search engine, there will be several articles which will appear and give you quite a bit of information.

While you are involved in that search, you will also see how other minority groups feel regarding Affirmative Action and how those not considered as minority have a mixture as well, with many agreeing with and many disagreeing with Affirmative Action laws.

As the population and ethnicity changes, I wonder how Affirmative Action will be applied, if it still exists, in the future when according to the latest census results, the Caucasian (a.k.a. white person) will no longer be in the majority. www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=afLR
FXgzpFoY
Quote:
"US White Population Will Be Minority By 2042"
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 06:28 am
@Sturgis,
teapot
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:19 am
It might be a longshot, but is seems like some Asians are prejudiced against blacks, or are jealous of them.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:25 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

It might be a longshot, but is seems like some Asians are prejudiced against blacks, or are jealous of them.

You play the racism card a lot don't you?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:26 am
I'm BLACK. For some sick reason, MANY people seem to act like they don't want blacks to have anything.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:38 am
@JGoldman10,
You seem to act like you don't want Asian Americans to have anything.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:41 am
@JGoldman10,
Why do you hate Asians?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:45 am
@Questioner,
DID I SAY THAT? NO - I LIKE ASIAN WOMEN. I HAVE A LOT OF ASIAN FRIENDS.

SOME ASIANS ARE BIGOTS.
Questioner

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:46 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

DID I SAY THAT? NO - I LIKE ASIAN WOMEN.

Enough said.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:46 am
@JGoldman10,
you know something Goldman, I explained one of several reasons in the above post, it had nothing to do with Asian Americans not liking blacks. Of course since it didn't jibe with the self-pity routine you want to involve yourself in, of course you would not bother with it.

It may interest you to know there are blacks who don't like Affirmative Action, Hispanics that aren't for Affirmative Action, it has nothing to do with the color of another person that makes them oppose it.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:48 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

SOME ASIANS ARE BIGOTS.

So are some Bible bashing nutjobs.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:49 am
@Questioner,
I don't get your response.

I SAID I HAVE ASIAN FRIENDS.

HOW IS LIKING ASIAN WOMEN RACIST?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 08:57 am
@Sturgis,
SOME ASIANS ARE BIGOTTED TOWARDS BLACKS.

Why would some Hispanics oppose affirmative action?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:02 am
Are there any ASIAN posters here who can answer this?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:03 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

SOME ASIANS ARE BIGOTTED TOWARDS BLACKS.

I assume Sturgis ISN'T A PERSON OF COLOR so he WOULDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:25 am
@JGoldman10,
I am a mixed breed Goldman, a little this, a little that and some of that over there thrown in as well. I've dealt with my own share of discrimination, I don't whine about it, I take steps to end the discrimination.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 09:50 am
@Sturgis,
Good for you.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 06:40 pm
Some of them are against it because they think it impedes progress. But how would something designed to help a group of people be impeding progress?
Questioner

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
Answered, quite well, by Sturgis about 10 posts ago.

0 Replies