Am I asking too much?

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:45 am
Hello!
I have a situation and I need to know if I'm in the wrong or asking too much.

I've been with a wonderful girl for nearly 4 years. About a month ago we broke up. After about a week, the anger and hard feelings were gone and I was only left with emptyness. I started to think about myself and where I went wrong... I realized that I was quick to get angry and did not show my affection or love for her even though I knew it was there. Spending a lot of time to myself, I would just think about my problems and look for answers or better ways to deal with them. I also gave my life to the lord and he helped me open my eyes and see everything that I was doing wrong, and I knew that I had to get her back. I tried not to beg or be needy, but I let her know my feelings and everything I felt. After a few weeks of giving her time to think and doing little things everyday just to let her know I love her, she told me that she has feelings for a guy she works with. No matter how much this hurt, I didn't give up. I continued to pray for her and us. A few weeks later, she decided I am who she needs as well and gave me another chance. I am a completely different person and we have been building the foundation to our new relationship since.

The only problem is, she is still talking to this other guy everyday and texting him too. He is a dick to me, and doesn't respect me and her being together. She says that they're only friends and thats it. I can't take it, knowing that she had feelings for him just a few weeks ago and that he is still building a relationship with her. I don't want to be "controlling" by telling her what to do. I asked her if she would please understand that it's hurting me really bad and stop talking with him.... at least for now until we get our relationship on solid ground again. She insists that she can talk to whoever she wants and their only friends. I see him as a road block. I just can't imagine giving 100% to my relationship if I was associating with another girl that I just had feelings for about a week ago.

What do you think is the best solution here?

Thank you,
Wyatt
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 804 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:48 am
@wyattjdecker,
Insisting that she cut off contact seems like a good way to lose her, especially given the problems you had in your relationship before you broke up.
wyattjdecker

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:52 am
@sozobe,
I completely understand.... you don't feel that maybe she still has feelings for this guy and they might grow over time? Or I should just deal with it?
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:57 am
@wyattjdecker,
It's a rough situation.

Here is my take:

1. You either trust her or you don't.
2. If you don't trust her, then end it now because it's not going anywhere productive.
3. If you DO trust her, then trust her choice in choosing you. Show her you trust her.
4. After your relationship has re-solidified, and you have proven to her that you are a changed person (in her eyes, not yours mind you) then if she's still talking to this guy you might approach the subject again.

It's quite possible that she doesn't want to sever ties with this individual for fear that you'll revert back to the way you were, the way she didn't care for you.
wyattjdecker

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:03 am
@Questioner,
Very good points.... thank you very much for your input. I think I will just attempt to forget that it's happening and try to show her who I am.
0 Replies