littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:45 pm
Ok, I forgot to say that the heron picture up there is stage one. I'll add details later (hopefully, I feel the momentum waning).

Tom - I know it would be good for all those reasons for me to redraw the image. Sigh...... And good for my patience.

Portal, I did do some still life drawing when I was younger. I should try again. Certainly not hiking anywhere to do it though... too cold. I'll try to set something up in the house.

RJB - I took out the 2 birds you mentioned, redid the sky where they were. It was almost too easy. I framed it without one last fixatif spray. I guess I should fix that.

Shepaints, I'm using some kind of thick sketch or water-clor paper because that's what I have at home. It's not toned. i understand what you're saying. I have quite a few of those glaring white spots.

Q - You took a B R painting class? With him teaching? Get the pastels out! In a way, you were part of my inspiration, making the artsy-crafty xmas cards like you did.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:54 pm
no, not with him teaching....although we did have to tape his shows and try them...I took the classes for like a year...hysterical looking back on it, lots of fun and lots of happy thoughts Smile

Moi, an inspiration??? WEll, at least the pastels dont have to be mailed...LOL!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:56 pm
So did he have, like, disciples or something? "Go forth and spread the BR method and be happy. " Heehee.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 12:02 am
BTW, RJB, it's great that you do that out-reach program. Art can be so good for so many people on so many levels!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 12:33 pm
I thinkit was basically a learn with me and spread the happiness as my instructors were "CERTIFIED" BR....funny.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 12:40 pm
Littlek, that heron is really nice! Isn't it interesting how much detail you notice when you're doing this?

Are you going to give it to your mom? I'll bet she'd be thrilled.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
Littlek, the heron is looking good!
Yes, Bob Ross had a couple of dozen "certified instructors" who ran classes using his wet-on-wet technique and the happy trees etc. Bob died suddenly about, I guess 5 years ago. His legacy continues. One of his folks used our classroom once a month for a class. It was a bit surreal to see ten people walk across the parking lot carrying ten identical paintings! -rjb-
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:20 pm
rjb...yeah, you know..that was the first time I ever took ANY class and had everyone's subject matter EXACTLY the same...and in an art class?? I laughed so hard, and still do by the thoughts of it....however, it was a great opportunity to experience such an odd thing, and the people that were there really had never been artsy to begin with so, it was great for them...I was going with a girlfriend so, it was good clean fun....well, you know until everyones cleaning their brushes Smile

little k..do any more with the heron? You know I just love the birds and cant wait to see more Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:23 pm
no more work on the heron yet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:43 pm
we'll be here, its okay Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:44 pm
hehehe
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:25 pm
Ok, step #2 of blue heron.....

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQDSAlMY9tfTE08WS9Kk42J1vdLr!IziPS01qSC7HLu5*b6yFby0YQl*smoVugFLQpkYBRfoPYNFyCDc75KOwhT17KNC89WBbEqhLfUGEdt2McwPHFZu*w/pastel2step2small.jpg?dc=4675455730893130795
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:53 pm
Ooooh!! You're really getting there! Are you sure this is your first try with pastels? Youare doing some very competent stuff with the wings.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:18 pm
Like I said, I did one or two in high school art clas some 15 years ago. And since then I've been watching, listening, thinking: learning.

I remember my drawing from the right side of the brain readings. Learned to see negative space and the shape of colorblocks on a page.

thanks Tom.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:56 pm
It's looking good, littlek...what will you try your hand at next? I remember doing negative space too, trying to draw the edges of something that really wasn't there. [smiling]
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:26 pm
I dunno, colorbook. More pastels, I like making messes. Maybe I'll redo the lily-pond scene, but bigger.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:35 pm
Pastels are very messy. I remember washing my hands before leaving art class, and someone telling me I had chalk on my nose...I even had it all over my sleeve and elbow.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:15 pm
fine work k, keep it up, lovely of you to share with us
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:28 pm
I have to share it or I'll never finish or start another project.....

I have pastels dust all over all my heavy in-house sweaters and all over the floor. I keep catching the scent of it in the strangest places.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:19 pm
wow, littlek! What you have done to the heron's body is awesome. It looked a bit flat at first but now you have added a lot of detail.
Two comments: The brown of the bird's nape is, by my viewing, really close to the land behind it and, at first glance, makes the heron look pretty skinny necked. A slight contrast in browns, perhaps? And, I've never seen a heron, so what do I know, but that stick sticking out of it's butt? I may be totally wrong on that.

True story: an elderly lady came into my art supply store today wanting to buy stuff for her 13 year-old grand-daughter's birthday. The child lives "out west, where they may not have too many art supply stores." I asked where. "Denver," she replied.
The kid is, she said, interested in figure drawing. We found some pencils and pads and then she asked about books. I pulled out about six from our "Figure Drawing" shelf for her to look at. I never expected her to go for any of them, because they have pictures or sketches of the naked body, male and female. She bought three. -rjb-
0 Replies